HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Blackwoods Flake, Virginia Woods ???

Go down 
AuthorMessage
juanmedusa

juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Blackwoods Flake, Virginia Woods ???   Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:22 pm

I've never smoked these but have both now. Which one should I start with? Which one do you like better? Why?

(This is not the thread to say how awesome FVF is. It's about these two.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Blackwoods Flake, Virginia Woods ???   Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:57 pm

Pffffffttt....who needs 'em. FVF is infinitely more awesome.

Actually, my vote goes for Blackwoods Flake (better than FVF, for my money). It's exactly what I want a straight VA to be - naturally sweet, a bit of tang, and some depth that almost makes me feel like a tiny bit of perique is hiding somewhere. The Virginia Woods strikes me as a bit flat - very monotone in taste, and kind of has a "topped and cased" feel to it (it reminds me a bit of the generic sugary topping that you find in a lot of the MacBaren VA blends...not "bad", but not all that natural, either).

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Blackwoods Flake, Virginia Woods ???   Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:10 pm

It seems to me, that everything in McClelland's Craftsbury series has some sort of sweet hint'o vanilla topping on it. At least that's my impression  after smoking VA Woods, Frog Morton, Frog on the Town, Greyhavens and Deep Hollow.

Blackwoods Flake is great. But I feel it takes a little bit of time to fully appreciate. It does not come right out and smack you into submission with awesome flavor power, but what McClelland blend does? Once you hit a stride with it, it really does have a wonderful flavor, and a warm sweet tone laced with some nice spicy black stoved subtleties. I also find that it's a bit pipe and prep dependent, so be prepared to work a bit for it.

Blackwoods is however more user friendly than Dark Star, which I also think is fantastic as long as I remember to dry it 4-6 hours ahead of time and cube it up. Talk about a spicy stoved VA.

VA Woods? Personally I like it. It's a lighter affair but I find it enjoyable when smoked at a slow steady smolder. It does require some dry time..
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Blackwoods Flake, Virginia Woods ???   Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:53 pm

I've smoked both and alway's try to have a tin or two on hand. My fave of the two is BF but when i don't wan't to go thru the McC's broken flake "process' ie , thouroughly rubbing out and letting it dry some, I'll reach for the VW tin instead. Both are probably some of the BEST examples of straight Red Va blends/mixtures available ANYWHERE from ANYONE today!! The sure do beat the Old Lady's Soap boys across the pond period !! i don't taste any real topping having been added, just pure sweet flue cured fermented Red Va /baccy! As with ALL 'baccy they are cased but not such that it is evident in the smoking other than to allow the tobacco to burn!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil I've smoked both off and on for over 30 years now and will till I die !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: Blackwoods Flake, Virginia Woods ???   Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:12 pm

Update, I just had my inaugural bowl of Blackwoods Flake in my Alberto Bonfiglioli 2012 "For Collectors" straight pipe. The tobacco was from a bombing so it was well decanted. This stuff did not disappoint. I'm a fan.

Obsure note, it had some flavors that reminded me of aged sheng pu-erh cakes (tea). I like that, btw.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Blackwoods Flake, Virginia Woods ???   Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:19 pm

I recently got some Blackwoods and am not really impressed, very little flavor to it as far as I'm concerned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
juanmedusa

juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: Blackwoods Flake, Virginia Woods ???   Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:20 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
I recently got some Blackwoods and am not really impressed, very little flavor to it as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry to hear that, Ron. To me it had a nice smoothness, perhaps it leaned toward bland on your tongue. That's why they make more than one tobacco. Don't worry, I haven't heard anything about them planning to discontinue Escudo. jocolor
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Blackwoods Flake, Virginia Woods ???   Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:27 am

juanmedusa wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

Sorry to hear that, Ron. To me it had a nice smoothness, perhaps it leaned toward bland on your tongue. That's why they make more than one tobacco. Don't worry, I haven't heard anything about them planning to discontinue Escudo. jocolor

Not a problem sir, it's to be expected with my taste buds. I've got a cellar of pounds but, yet there are only ounces that I care for. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Blackwoods Flake, Virginia Woods ???   Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:10 pm

Like them both for different reasons. But I had my druthers I'd choose BF.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com

Blackwoods Flake, Virginia Woods ???
Page 1 of 1