HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Red Cake substitute

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

Red Cake substitute Empty
PostSubject: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 7:14 pm

Can anyone recommend a Red Cake 5100 substitute that I can purchase here in Blighty?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 7:51 pm

Don't know if this helps mate, but this seems like a good possibility-

http://www.gqtobaccos.com/pipe-tobaccos/robert-mcconnell-red-virginia-mc-blending/#.VQYaPUnyM5Y

Very Happy

Cheers,

RR

Red Cake substitute Purple11x 2Red Cake substitute Bombx10  Red Cake substitute Bombx5Red Cake substitute D6bddf10 Red Cake substitute 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
DireWolf

DireWolf

Registration date : 2015-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 8:33 pm

Light fruit casing.

Tomato is a fruit, right?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 8:40 pm

DireWolf wrote:
Light fruit casing.

Well it does say something about the only red 'ginny available in the UK. The rest I can't comment on.

Neutral

Cheers,

RR

Red Cake substitute Purple11x 2Red Cake substitute Bombx10  Red Cake substitute Bombx5Red Cake substitute D6bddf10 Red Cake substitute 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 2:24 am

DireWolf wrote:
Light fruit casing.

I think we've done the whole ketchup thing elsewhere lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DireWolf

DireWolf

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 12:06 pm

As a noob, I can't tell if it's a forum wide joke, or a hang up that gets discussed a lot. Laughing

Not sure if that McConell's tracks with Red Cake, but it's worth a shot.

Red Cake is certainly cased as well.

I've wondered about the Wessex Red Flake, but that's not a bulk.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alandadp

alandadp

Registration date : 2013-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 4:20 pm

Stick, if you want to try Robert McConnel Red Virginia then PM me your address and I'll send you some.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 5:55 pm

alandadp wrote:
Stick, if you want to try Robert McConnel Red Virginia then PM me your address and I'll send you some.

Hey Adam. I've just had a quick read on GQ where it says you can smoke this baccy neat. What do you think mate? How do you like it?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
alandadp

alandadp

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 6:42 pm

Stick,
This was sent to me by mistake, I'd ordered 3 cans of Scottish Cake but got 2 and one of this.
I didn't notice at first (the labels are very similar) and cracked this can first. Was a bit puzzled that the cut was much finer than the Cake but still didn't twig. Then I lit it up and realised something was up. Don't get me wrong, it is a decent tobacco but it isn't Scottish Cake.
I din't have any problem smoking it on its own, it's a VaPer with a sweet topping that seems to burn off fairly quickly leaving the Virginia to rule the roost (for me the Perique is only a bit part).
My palate is pretty shot owing to ongoing mouth problems but this tobacco seemed to be a reasonable smoke but nothing special.
I stuck most of it in a jar so I've got some that's about 6 months old if you want to try it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 7:01 pm

PM sent Adam!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 7:18 pm

Very neighbourly of you Adam. Let's hope it ticks all the boxes for our Stick.

Cool

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 7:54 pm

alandadp wrote:
Stick,
This was sent to me by mistake, I'd ordered 3 cans of Scottish Cake but got 2 and one of this.
I didn't notice at first (the labels are very similar) and cracked this can first. Was a bit puzzled that the cut was much finer than the Cake but still didn't twig. Then I lit it up and realised something was up. Don't get me wrong, it is a decent tobacco but it isn't Scottish Cake.
I din't have any problem smoking it on its own, it's a VaPer with a sweet topping that seems to burn off fairly quickly leaving the Virginia to rule the roost (for me the Perique is only a bit part).
My palate is pretty shot owing to ongoing mouth problems but this tobacco seemed to be a reasonable smoke but nothing special.
I stuck most of it in a jar so I've got some that's about 6 months old if you want to try it.
\

from what was described on the site it said nothing of ANY Perique being in the blend/mixture, just Red Vas! Straight Red Va's can get a bit sharp at times giving the impression of the sharp tang Perique can exhibit at times so maybe that's waht you were refering to ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 9:49 pm

monbla256 wrote:
alandadp wrote:
Stick,
\

from what was described on the site it said nothing of ANY Perique being in the blend/mixture, just Red Vas! Straight Red Va's can get a bit sharp at times giving the impression of the sharp tang Perique can exhibit at times so maybe that's waht you were refering to ?

Good point actually Michael.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptyMon Mar 16, 2015 10:03 pm

Stick wrote:
DireWolf wrote:
Light fruit casing.

I think we've done the whole ketchup thing elsewhere lol!

indeed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DireWolf

DireWolf

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptyTue Mar 17, 2015 12:35 am

Apologies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alandadp

alandadp

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptyTue Mar 17, 2015 1:57 pm

Monbla,
There appear to be two Red Virginias made by Kohlhase, Kopp and Co under the Robert McConnell brand as the one I have (and have now sent to Stick) is described on their website as "Reddish Broken Virginia with a hint of Perique".
The one in Brewdudes link is the Robert McConnell Red Virginia MC which is the straight virginia with no perique and intended for blending.
My mistake, I saw Robert McConnell Red Virginia and went into auto Embarassed - the MC makes all the difference.
As I get most of my tobacco from Germany I ignored the 'access to here in the UK' bit.
Still, no damage done, Stick gets another tobacco to try and I feel better that I could detect what I thought was Perique and it was there, even if only a 'hint' (is that a metric or imperial measure?)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptyTue Mar 17, 2015 2:09 pm

alandadp wrote:
Monbla,
There appear to be two Red Virginias made by Kohlhase, Kopp and Co under the Robert McConnell brand as the one I have (and have now sent to Stick) is described on their website as "Reddish Broken Virginia with a hint of Perique".
The one in Brewdudes link is the Robert McConnell Red Virginia MC which is the straight virginia with no perique and intended for blending.
My mistake, I saw Robert McConnell Red Virginia and went into auto Embarassed - the MC makes all the difference.
As I get most of my tobacco from Germany I ignored the 'access to here in the UK' bit.
Still, no damage done, Stick gets another tobacco to try and I feel better that I could detect what I thought was Perique and it was there, even if only a 'hint' (is that a metric or imperial measure?)

That explains that tough it won't be ANYWHERE near the same as 5100RC Twisted Evil Twisted Evil I'd have to say that "hint must be an Imperial form of measure as it's waaaay to imprecise for the Continental Europeans metric system ! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptyTue Mar 17, 2015 6:40 pm

Yes, good spot, but I'm still chuffed with the outcome. As Adam points out it'll be a new one on me and I am enjoying my exploration into VaPers also. This thread has also led to me finding a source of straight red 'ginny in the UK too so that's a result too. I must say a big thank you to Adam at this stage for being so kind to help out a fellow BoB brother in Blighty; thanks friend!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptyTue Mar 17, 2015 7:27 pm

DireWolf wrote:
Apologies.

Nothing to apologise for Wolfman.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptyTue Mar 17, 2015 7:30 pm

Stick wrote:
Yes, good spot, but I'm still chuffed with the outcome.  As Adam points out it'll be a new one on me and I am enjoying my exploration into VaPers also.  This thread has also led to me finding a source of straight red 'ginny in the UK too so that's a result too.  I must say a big thank you to Adam at this stage for being so kind to help out a fellow BoB brother in Blighty; thanks friend!

Well then, there you go David! And do let us know how you get on with the VaPer from Adam, as well as the straight MC whenever you get some in. I'll be interested to see if it's anything like 5100.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptyWed Mar 18, 2015 4:27 pm

Crikey Adam, that was quick!

Here's what arrived today gents...

Red Cake substitute Adam_s11

Sammy G's FVF and BBF Offcuts
Robert McConnell's Red Virginia
Peter Stokkebye's LBF
Hamborger Veermaster, and
a little half sized billiard.

Adam, this isn't quite what I signed up for; it appears that you've gone way above and beyond.  You've scored a direct hit there old chap.  Barring the Veermaster (which I've never heard of) all the samples are on my hit list to try so I'm delighted.  And a sneaky little pipe too!!  cheers  Thank you so much old chap.  I'm bowled over!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alandadp

alandadp

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptyWed Mar 18, 2015 4:32 pm

Who? Me?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptyWed Mar 18, 2015 4:37 pm

alandadp wrote:
Who? Me?

There's no dodging this one old chap. You deserve the recognition...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptyWed Mar 18, 2015 4:37 pm

Nice Bomb there.. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Red Cake substitute   Red Cake substitute EmptyWed Mar 18, 2015 4:42 pm

Splendid work Adam. Champion gesture right there an' no mistake!

cyclops

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down

Red Cake substitute
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: