HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

St Patty's Day Snuff?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: St Patty's Day Snuff?   Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:01 am

Is there any snuff you're giving the nod as an homage to St. Patrick's Day? Um, green or otherwise.

Gawith Irish D Light?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: St Patty's Day Snuff?   Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:01 am

If I have my history correct, I believe the Vikings did a fair bit of raiding and pillaging in Ireland in their early days...even established a few of their own settlements.

So....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: St Patty's Day Snuff?   Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:48 am

Well, let's see here. St. Patrick...born 387 AD. Lived into the 5th century. 

The Viking Age is set at 793 to 1066 AD.

Of interest: According to the Confessio of Patrick, when he was about 16, he was captured by Irish pirates from his home in Britain, and taken as a slave to Ireland, where he lived for six years before escaping and returning to his family. After becoming a cleric, he returned to northern and western Ireland. In later life, he served as an ordained bishop, but little is known about the places where he worked. By the seventh century, he had already come to be revered as the patron saint of Ireland.

Wow! I'm thinking since there was significant overlap re dates where he and the Vikings had significant influence on Irish culture...that yes, the modern Viking line of products certainly qualifies as suitable.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: St Patty's Day Snuff?   Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:17 pm

Looks like I get to pick from out of my Old Mill order. It's in town and out for delivery already!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: St Patty's Day Snuff?   Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:35 pm

Wilson's has a whole range of Irish Toasts. Wink Considering the rough and tumble nature of the Irish, they probably preferred the driest, finest possible grind.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: St Patty's Day Snuff?   Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:59 am

Well, Happy St. Patrick's Day!

As a special 'thing' for the day I embarked on a special mini project (very mini). I blended two snuffs together to create one I'm calling "Stable Surprise" (heh, heh). It's perhaps the smallest batch blend in the history of the world...cause I used one of my freshly arrived Old Mill blends as the base...Acadia. The Acadia is a masterful blend, described as: Old Belt Flue Cured Orange, Red & Gold Virginias and Fire Cured Orinoco are layered with St. James Perique & Tennessee White Burley, milled to a medium coarse grind with medium moisture. Since the grind and moisture levels seemed very close, and the second blend was also a purely natural one...Gawith's Kendal Brown.

The mix ratio is 3 parts Acadia plus 1 part Kendal Brown. The result is very enjoyable with a distinct Cajun barnyard tone. With apologies to Old Mill for perverting their fine product...I have to admit the changes are huge, and that I quite like it!

Back to top Go down
View user profile

St Patty's Day Snuff?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Snuff Box-
Jump to: