HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Cigar/Pipe lounges have become less friendly places?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Gonzo

Registration date : 2015-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Cigar/Pipe lounges have become less friendly places?   Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:33 am

I don't frequent the smoke rooms here in MA, we have a ban on smoking in public areas, restaurants, bars etc. As a result the cigar/pipe shops if they are allowed to have a lounge, charge a yearly membership fee so they can call it a private club which can allow smoking, only if the town approves it. Usually to the tune of about $250-300 per year, more if for some reason you would like to have a locker to store something in.

To me the phone thing is not just an obsession, but has induced a fear of legitimate interaction in our culture, IMO. When I list something on c-list, I always put it in the ad call/email for more info. I will inevitably get a text. When I respond with please call it would be easier, they disappear forever. The anxiety of having to answer a direct question without the convenience of a faceless text which you can answer after you have had time to think it over is too much for most under 30 years old to handle. Direct eye contact is.... well ....just plain affraid for most of them as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.etsy.com/shop/GonzoArtCollective?ref=hdr_shop_menu
tslots

Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Cigar/Pipe lounges have become less friendly places?   Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:10 pm

This issue brings to mind the Disney / Pixar movie "Wall-E" (2008). 

Mankind has left the earth in a huge space station and basically live their life riding around in hover carts with screens in front of them for constant info and entertainment.  They are fat from lack of any physical exercise and don't interact at all.

We are well on our way and haven't even left the earth ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deathmetal

Registration date : 2015-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Cigar/Pipe lounges have become less friendly places?   Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:37 pm

Brewdude wrote:
All I see anymore is folks holding their little devices and staring into them as they walk down the street, sitting over coffee or food, or driving!

Online interaction lets us choose people who agree with us, therefore we're not likely to offend them.

No such option "IRL" (in real life).

It's the fear.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.deathmetal.org/
JustPlainBill

Registration date : 2015-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Cigar/Pipe lounges have become less friendly places?   Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:19 pm

my local smoke shop is almost more of a head shop / RYO tobacco place. I buy a lot of OTC at the corner gas station / qucky mart.

in 1978-'84 (my first go-round w/pipes) things were different. The neighborhood tobacconist was an old gent of the old school. Handy with repairs, too.

even then most of the chit chat took place at the cafe down the street, you could smoke in more places then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Cigar/Pipe lounges have become less friendly places?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2