HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Burley Round Up - What do you like and why?

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

Burley Round Up - What do you like and why? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Burley Round Up - What do you like and why?   Burley Round Up - What do you like and why? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2015 1:51 pm

Thomas Tkach wrote:
I think C&D burley tends to be more earthy than nutty.

So far I tend to agree. In the right mixture, say for example Epiphany, they work nicely. But I am struggling to find a taste for their mixtures that are comprised of mostly burley. I will say that I did appreciate OJK, but it's just too strong in nicotine for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Tkach

Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Burley Round Up - What do you like and why?   Burley Round Up - What do you like and why? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2015 2:02 pm

Epiphany is definitely good. I'm finding I like some good VA mixed in myself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
fsu92john

fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Burley Round Up - What do you like and why?   Burley Round Up - What do you like and why? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 25, 2015 2:09 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Some more good suggestions here, thanks for your time.

John (fsu92john), you made mention of Wessex Burley Slice as a "lesser tobacco" compared to ABF. Do you mean lesser in quality, flavor, strength? Just curious. At the price I might not bother if it's not up to ABF's level of goodness. If it's milder and sweeter I might like it.

Just my humble opinion, of course--ABF is the gold standard in this genre, and while I enjoyed the one tin of the Wessex that I smoked, I wouldn't rate it nearly as highly. Still good, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DireWolf

DireWolf

Registration date : 2015-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Burley Round Up - What do you like and why?   Burley Round Up - What do you like and why? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 12:35 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Two of my favorites are Solani Aged Burley Flake and Old Dark Fired.

Have some ODF, but haven't tried it yet.

Considering (after reading) adding some ABF to my next order.

Sounds good, but is it a good burley intro for a noob?

I'm a bit shy to them based on their strength, and reports that they can be bitter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Burley Round Up - What do you like and why?   Burley Round Up - What do you like and why? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 1:15 pm

My favorite is probably Peretti's Somerset Slices. It's not cheap, but worth every cent in my opinion.  After that, Solani ABF is a dependable, accessible, user friendly Burley flake.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Burley Round Up - What do you like and why?   Burley Round Up - What do you like and why? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 1:39 pm

Solani ABF is a really good burley. It was one of the first higher end burleys that I ever smoked. It's mildly sweet and earthy, but it doesn't bitter at all. If anything, it has spoiled me on everything else I have tried.

I keep hoping to find something comparable that's cheaper in price and available in bulk, but no dice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DireWolf

DireWolf

Registration date : 2015-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Burley Round Up - What do you like and why?   Burley Round Up - What do you like and why? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 4:52 pm

I'm going through my backlog of VAs, now that they are making more sense to me, so in an upcoming flake order, I wanted to throw something in for a head to head with the ODF I got during the recent HH sale.

Done.

I'll keep the peretti in mind next Tashkent order.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Burley Round Up - What do you like and why?   Burley Round Up - What do you like and why? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 5:30 pm

I almost forgot, if you like the C&D stuff, you might want to try Tom Eltang Mixture. I got a sample of it in my bombing. It's also made by C&D and will probably have an appeal for those of us already into their burley perique Virginia blends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Burley Round Up - What do you like and why?   Burley Round Up - What do you like and why? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 6:48 pm

Have some ODF, but haven't tried it yet.

Considering (after reading) adding some ABF to my next order.  

Sounds good, but is it a good burley intro for a noob?

I'm a bit shy to them based on their strength, and reports that they can be bitter.[/quote]

ABF is where I started back into my journey with Burley. Have never found it to bite or be bitter. Slightly sweet with a creamy edge to it. Good stuff!!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Burley Round Up - What do you like and why?   Burley Round Up - What do you like and why? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 8:35 pm

I haven't seen Somerset Slices for sale on Peretti's site in quite some time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Burley Round Up - What do you like and why?   Burley Round Up - What do you like and why? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 8:41 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:

Nor have I. Got some in a trade a while ago and have been rationing them. Prolly got 2-3 bowls worth left now!

Sad

Cheers,

RR

Burley Round Up - What do you like and why? - Page 2 Purple11x 2Burley Round Up - What do you like and why? - Page 2 Bombx10Burley Round Up - What do you like and why? - Page 2 BombBurley Round Up - What do you like and why? - Page 2 D6bddf10 Burley Round Up - What do you like and why? - Page 2 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
MisterE
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: Burley Round Up - What do you like and why?   Burley Round Up - What do you like and why? - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 9:17 pm

Brewdude wrote:
DrumsAndBeer wrote:

Nor have I. Got some in a trade a while ago and have been rationing them. Prolly got 2-3 bowls worth left now!

Sad

Cheers,

RR

You usually have to call to place an order. I can't remember having seen it on their website. It goes pretty quick when they have some.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Burley Round Up - What do you like and why?   Burley Round Up - What do you like and why? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 7:39 pm

I have been smoking a lot of burley lately. I gotta say, my taste for it has changed completely.

One of the nicest blends I have come across so far is Sutliff's Breckinridge. Anyone else smoke this one?

It's lightly sweet & nutty with a mild chocolate tone. A very good all day burley smoke. Completely bite free.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Tkach

Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Burley Round Up - What do you like and why?   Burley Round Up - What do you like and why? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 9:25 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
I have been smoking a lot of burley lately. I gotta say, my taste for it has changed completely.

One of the nicest blends I have come across so far is Sutliff's Breckinridge. Anyone else smoke this one?

It's lightly sweet & nutty with a mild chocolate tone. A very good all day burley smoke. Completely bite free.

I have a tin but haven't tried it yet. I need to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
MisterE
MisterE

PostSubject: Re: Burley Round Up - What do you like and why?   Burley Round Up - What do you like and why? - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 9:59 pm

I forgot to mention in my last post that the Ehrlich DPE was an amazing Burley blend. One of the best I can remember. Now that Ehrlich's is gone, I believe another maker in the Boston area continued to carry the blend. I don't think it was Peretti's, but one that's located in Harvard Square. Maybe one of the bros might know which one it is. Definitely worth a try.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Burley Round Up - What do you like and why?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2