HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Ocelot55

avatar

Location : Columbus, OH
Registration date : 2012-03-28

PostSubject: Re: For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected   Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:03 pm

Cart, has your friend been to any pipe shows? I remember my first pipe show was a real eye opener. I got to handle S. Bangs, Eltangs, Chonowitsch, etc. I'd say that all of the "high grades" lost their luster after I got to examine them up close. More than half had issues like sloppy slots, not symmetrical shaping issues, and other things that most photos fail to show. Of course there were also some beautiful pipes, but even some of those had engineering issues I wouldn't begin to let out of my shop. I've seen an Eltang with a draft hole that wasn't drilled straight and another that, while it was absolutely stunning, has the most gosh awful whistle when drawn through. Bond to be a crappy smoker.

All said, treasure what you have. I've got a few no-names with grain that put Dunhill DRs to shame and smoke wonderful. This "grass is greener" mentality is part of the natural human condition. We need to learn to value what we have and realize that the other side of the fence typically isn't any better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.jonespipes.com
monbla256

avatar

Age : 71
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected   Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:28 pm

My feelings about "collectors" has always been a person who steps across the line of 'normal" aquisition of objects, say a dozen or less, into the world of OCD. I know I've done it with my collection of fountain pen with now after 30+ years of aquisition of them I have over 300 and many are mere variations on certain models over several years. My pipe collection is similar, just not as many, ie why would one need over 36 Pots ? Collecting ANYTHING has NO semblence to "normal" behavior and what your "friend" my be feeling I would certainly consider a "normal" reaction to this behavior. I've gone through periods of questioning my own behavior in my "collecting". All i can say is Onward thru the Fog  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected   Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:42 pm

Both of you make very good points that'll I'll pass onto my Friend.

Never thought that someone like Eltang or Bang would produce a pipe that would have issues as you have describe Jesse, that's is really down heartening. Makes me think twice about wanting one for sure.

Neither he or I have been to a pipe show of any kind, mainly because it's neither physically or financially possible to get to one being the great distance we'd have to go.
Maybe someday if they bring one to Tyler. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
joshoowah

avatar

Age : 31
Location : Nairobi, Kenya
Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected   Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:43 pm

Some of you know me better than others might on this forum, but I used to have 60+ pipes, with 30+ Caminettos. In fact, Caminetto was the brand I preferred to buy. As time went on, the prices of Caminetto went up and up and up to prices I thought was ridiculous because, though I love Caminettos, they are not worth that much to me. I downsized from 60+ to 7 in a matter of months, focusing more on handmade pipes. Most Caminettos I see these days I think are disgusting, mainly because my tastes have changed, which is for the better because I'd rather spend $200 on a pipe handmade by a friend.

These days I rarely buy pipes, and when I do it's an artisan. I doubt I'll ever buy a factory or non-artisan pipe myself again. Tastes change, but this is good for me because it keeps me honest and less hoard-like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

avatar

Location : Wisconsin
Registration date : 2007-12-28

PostSubject: Re: For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected   Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:03 pm

riff raff wrote:
At the recent NYC pipe show, a friend showed me a photo from a past Chicago show of a guy who had on display an entire table full of Sasieni Moorgate pipes.  
I really miss the days when shows had a little better balance between being showcase for collectors and a pipe marketplace. You don't see many collections displayed anymore but I'm going to buck the trend and display part of my collection at the GKCPC show in June just to show it off.

Cartaphilus wrote:

My Friend doesn't have any really high grade pipes either, not what he considers high grades such as Tom Eltang's, S. Bang's, J.T. Cooke's, etc. just to name a few. I would say most of his collection is mid grade and I reckon that's what bothers him......he just can't afford the high grades that really pleases his eye.

A group of any pipes no matter the grade does not always make a satisfying collection. From my personal experience of doing both accumulating and collecting, putting together a semi focused collection that you can realistically afford is a lot more fun than just accumulating pipes. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

avatar

Age : 35
Location : Meriden, Ct
Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected   Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:24 pm

Personally, most of my pipes were acquired in commemoration of some great life event. The birth of my sons, a special vacation or sometimes a record breaking paycheck haha. Like some others here, my collected items hold some manner of personal relevance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected   Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:29 pm

Jevverrett wrote:
Personally, most of my pipes were acquired in commemoration of some great life event. The birth of my sons, a special vacation or sometimes a record breaking paycheck haha. Like some others here, my collected items hold some manner of personal relevance.

All mine I mean his hold special relevance. I'm he's too old to have more children or want them and I'm he's permanently retired so the paycheck things out and as far as vacations go.....hell I'mhe's living a continuous vacation nowadays (vacation from hell). So when I he buy's a pipe Ihe celebrates being able to still buy one.

Oh, and here's a little secret......I started making pipes awhile ago and when I get good enough to want to show them I'm going to make all you guys buy them so I'll have even more money to spend on pipes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected   Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:57 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:




Oh, and here's a little secret......I started making pipes awhile ago and when I get good enough to want to show them I'm going to make all you guys buy them so I'll have even more money to spend on pipes.

I for one will be watching Ron!


alien



Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected   Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:25 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:




Oh, and here's a little secret......I started making pipes awhile ago and when I get good enough to want to show them I'm going to make all you guys buy them so I'll have even more money to spend on pipes.

I for one will be watching Ron!


alien



Cheers,

RR

Just kidding, even if I were to make pipes they'd never be connected to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
alandadp

avatar

Age : 61
Location : Plymouth, England
Registration date : 2013-04-29

PostSubject: Re: For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected   Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:05 am

I for one would certainly buy one of your pipes Ron.
Just the thought of holding something you had spent hours lovingly making and then stuffing it ful of 'Soap' makes me smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected   Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:03 am

alandadp wrote:
I for one would certainly buy one of your pipes Ron.
Just the thought of holding something you had spent hours lovingly making and then stuffing it ful of 'Soap' makes me smile

Smart ass!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Gonzo

avatar

Registration date : 2015-03-18

PostSubject: Re: For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected   Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:31 pm

This topic has been a great read so far, thanks for posting. I have always been curious on why I or others do various different things. The collecting of stuff, to me anyway, usually has some type of significance to it. Since we are on the topic of pipes I will stick with that. I got my first pipe probably 20 years ago, bought with a friend who also acquired one at the same time. I still have mine, he can not find his as a result of never getting rid of anything, even things which should go. It is one I will keep forever. I have a couple in my stable I made, the first and second pipes I ever made, and will keep those as well. I have one my wife got me, the only one she has bought me to date, and the only meer I own, another keeper for me. The others I have justified in one way or another, building a rotation etc. 3 of which are estate finds, all from roughly the 60's, I like to believe they have history I can appreciate, but don't actually know much about them other than what is available through brand research etc. I do have a few I bought new, mostly cobs, and 1 I just got this morning, a Stanwell vario 98. The ones I look at and am less enthusiastic about are not that way because of a lack of appreciation for the pipe's looks or inherent value. Mostly a judgment on smoking experience, where they have not met my expectations or desire in one way or another. If I get a pipe I saw online and am immediately unimpressed with it on arrival, I will send it back or resell it depending on circumstances and buy something I will hopefully like better. If it goes in my collection it is usually something that has meaning/connection based on how I came by it, or is genuinely unique in some way, or in the case of estate pipes adds something in the sense of history. The price is a deciding factor only if it puts it out of my reach, after I own it, actual value has little to with how much I enjoy it. I hope your friend finds whatever he feels is missing in his collection, maybe direction if many of the pipes are impulse buys rather than those which are sought after for one reason or another. All the best Gonzo
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.etsy.com/shop/GonzoArtCollective?ref=hdr_shop_menu
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected   Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:54 pm

Gonzo wrote:
This topic has been a great read so far, thanks for posting. I have always been curious on why I or others do various different things. The collecting of stuff, to me anyway, usually has some type of significance to it. Since we are on the topic of pipes I will stick with that. I got my first pipe probably 20 years ago, bought with a friend who also acquired one at the same time. I still have mine, he can not find his as a result of never getting rid of anything, even things which should go. It is one I will keep forever. I have a couple in my stable I made, the first and second pipes I ever made, and will keep those as well. I have one my wife got me, the only one she has bought me to date, and the only meer I own, another keeper for me. The others I have justified in one way or another, building a rotation etc. 3 of which are estate finds, all from roughly the 60's, I like to believe they have history I can appreciate, but don't actually know much about them other than what is available through brand research etc. I do have a few I bought new, mostly cobs, and 1 I just got this morning, a Stanwell vario 98. The ones I look at and am less enthusiastic about are not that way because of a lack of appreciation for the pipe's looks or inherent value. Mostly a judgment on smoking experience, where they have not met my expectations or desire in one way or another. If I get a pipe I saw online and am immediately unimpressed with it on arrival, I will send it back or resell it depending on circumstances and buy something I will hopefully like better. If it goes in my collection it is usually something that has meaning/connection based on how I came by it, or is genuinely unique in some way, or in the case of estate pipes adds something in the sense of history. The price is a deciding factor only  if it puts it out of my reach, after I own it, actual value has little to with how much I enjoy it. I hope your friend finds whatever he feels is missing in his collection, maybe direction if many of the pipes are impulse buys rather than those which are sought after for one reason or another. All the best Gonzo

I'd say none of his are impulse buys but, what attacks his eye. Now that could be anything to many but, to him it's first quality, beauty of the piece and then collect-ability and of course what he can afford.
It's no secret everyone collects differently, some by brand, some by shape etc. He has never been able to nail one down cause he enjoys so many different types, shapes and makers. He collects figural's, man and beast, Italian makers of different shapes and forms, strange and unusual patented designed pipes, Cavaliers, Calabashes, Freehand's, some antique and Meerschaums. He likes them all, it's just from time to time there glitter fails to shine in his mind but, comes back a day or more later. Let's face it, the guy's certainly OCD and probably has other hidden problems.
You on the other hand sound normal enough and have your collecting under control but, be advised.......
don't drink the water, it may be contagious. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Gonzo

avatar

Registration date : 2015-03-18

PostSubject: Re: For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected   Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:55 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:

You on the other hand sound normal enough and have your collecting under control but, be advised.......
don't drink the water, it may be contagious. Wink


If by normal you mean I use masking tape to block the camera on the laptop instead of electrical tape, than we are in complete agreement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.etsy.com/shop/GonzoArtCollective?ref=hdr_shop_menu
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected   Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:57 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

You on the other hand sound normal enough and have your collecting under control but, be advised.......
don't drink the water, it may be contagious. Wink


If by normal you mean I use masking tape to block the camera on the laptop instead of electrical tape, than we are in complete agreement.

Ya know they can see through masking tape. Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Gonzo

avatar

Registration date : 2015-03-18

PostSubject: Re: For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected   Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:00 pm

But it is MASKING tape....I feel deceived affraid
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.etsy.com/shop/GonzoArtCollective?ref=hdr_shop_menu
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected   Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:06 pm

Gonzo wrote:
But it is MASKING tape....I feel deceived affraid

Hey, when ya kidnap someone, I mean when you see kidnap victims ya never see'em with masking tape over there eye's it's always duck tape or a black hood or neckerchief. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
huffelpuff

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected   Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:26 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:




Oh, and here's a little secret......I started making pipes awhile ago and when I get good enough to want to show them I'm going to make all you guys buy them so I'll have even more money to spend on pipes.

I for one will be watching Ron!


alien



Cheers,

RR

Just kidding, even if I were to make pipes they'd never be connected to me.

I feel cheated Ron!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected   Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:32 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
Brewdude wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:




Oh, and here's a little secret......I started making pipes awhile ago and when I get good enough to want to show them I'm going to make all you guys buy them so I'll have even more money to spend on pipes.

I for one will be watching Ron!


alien



Cheers,

RR

Just kidding, even if I were to make pipes they'd never be connected to me.

I feel cheated Ron!!!

Okay Jim, When I become rich and famous for...............something, I'll make ya a pipe.
Ya want copper of PVC?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
huffelpuff

avatar

Age : 47
Location : Laramie, WY
Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected   Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:25 pm

Can you feel the dirty look my friend! LOL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 63
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected   Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:43 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
Can you feel the dirty look my friend! LOL.

WHAT!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
 
For Those Of You Who Collect, Or Have Collected
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» Anyone else receiving CPP Disability Benefits but are zeroed out on Sisip LTD?
» JonBenet Ramsey - cold case

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: