HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Jim's RO Fire Storm Review.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JimInks

JimInks

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Jim's RO Fire Storm Review.   Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:49 pm

The tangy, dark fruit sweet Virginias also have a touch of earth. The fire-cured mahogany Kentucky is a little woody with some spice and mild nuttiness. The perique is plum and pepper with some raisin notes. The spice flavor reminds me of cinnamon, though its more obvious in the first half of the smoke much of the time, you will feel its presence to the finish. The sweetness seems more obvious in the first half as well. I dont think Id say this blend gets peppery in the second half of the bowl as the description says so much as it seems to be a little less sweeter, which allows the spice to appear to be more prominent. Burns cool and well with no dull or harsh spots with pleasing consistency of flavor during and after the smoke. Wont bite either, and you'll likely enjoy the spice tingle from beginning to end.


Last edited by JimInks on Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:19 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Stick

Stick

Age : 49
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Jim's RO Fire Storm Review.   Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:52 pm

Sounds a great smoke Jim. RO?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
JimInks

JimInks

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Jim's RO Fire Storm Review.   Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:59 pm

Stick wrote:
Sounds a great smoke Jim. RO?

Russ Ouellette. It's labeled with his initials.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
RobJ

RobJ

Location : Mukilteo, Washington USA
Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Jim's RO Fire Storm Review.   Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:08 pm

I've been looking forward to this review Jim, thank you sir!

This one is right in my wheel house I think.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

Age : 49
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Jim's RO Fire Storm Review.   Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:14 pm

JimInks wrote:
Stick wrote:
Sounds a great smoke Jim. RO?

Russ Ouellette. It's labeled with his initials.

Thanks matey. One for the hit list...
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Age : 46
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Jim's RO Fire Storm Review.   Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:53 pm

Jim,

From what I understand, Anniversary Kake was used as a base for this blend. Would you say that enjoying AK is a prerequisite to appreciating this one?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

JimInks

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Jim's RO Fire Storm Review.   Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:28 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Jim,

From what I understand, Anniversary Kake was used as a base for this blend. Would you say that enjoying AK is a prerequisite to appreciating this one?

No, I wouldn't. The variety of tobaccos isn't the same. It strikes me more as a mix of Anni Kake and Viprati, leaning more toward the latter. Anni Kake has burley, which Fire Storm does not, except for the dark fired Kentucky, and the tangy red Virginia is more obvious here, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
WandererOfWeirdPaths

WandererOfWeirdPaths

Age : 32
Location : Delaware
Registration date : 2015-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Jim's RO Fire Storm Review.   Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:28 am

I really enjoy this tobacco too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Age : 46
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Jim's RO Fire Storm Review.   Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:53 pm

Thanks Jim. Perhaps I'll grab a tin next time I make a P&C purchase.

JimInks wrote:
Anni Kake has burley,

Interesting. I had no idea that AK contains burley. No wonder I didn't care for it. Typically Russ's VaPers knock it out of the park for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

JimInks

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Jim's RO Fire Storm Review.   Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:24 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Thanks Jim. Perhaps I'll grab a tin next time I make a P&C purchase.

JimInks wrote:
Anni Kake has burley,

Interesting. I had no idea that AK contains burley. No wonder I didn't care for it. Typically Russ's VaPers knock it out of the park for me.

I wish I had edited my comment before you saw it. Anni Kake doesn't have burley. What I mean to write was that there's a burley feel to it. My bad. I was in a hurry to get out the door, and wasn't clear because of it. Let me expound on this as I should have before.

If you've smoked Classic Burley Kake, you will notice a mild similarity in taste because they both have some rum in the topping. The rum always sticks out to my taste buds. So, Anni Kake sort of reminds me of a non-burley with perique CBK, and I sometimes equate the two because of it. There's a similar sweetness in the red Va. in Fire Storm that suggests AK and CBK to me - Viprati, too. Sorry I misled you.

While I am on the subject, I'm sure you've noticed that some blenders have some blends that have certain similarities and you can tell who made one of them by taste alone. Some -but certainly not a bunch - of Russ' blends fall into that category. For example, there's things about Virginia Spice that remind me of Anni Kake, mainly how the perique is used. I can tell Russ used a few similar tobaccos in both, but in different ways. I greatly enjoy both and cellared several pounds of each, but as I like to change tastes from smoke to smoke, I wouldn't smoke the two back to back.


Last edited by JimInks on Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Age : 46
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Jim's RO Fire Storm Review.   Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:08 pm

Thanks for clarifying. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Jim's RO Fire Storm Review.   Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:23 am

I believe this one has Orientals as well? It thus makes for a combination I would love to try.

Thanks for sharing your impressions, Jim.
Back to top Go down
JimInks

JimInks

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Jim's RO Fire Storm Review.   Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:32 am

Junkyard Dawg wrote:
I believe this one has Orientals as well? It thus makes for a combination I would love to try.

Thanks for sharing your impressions, Jim.

There's no Orientals in Fire Storm. It's a VaPer with some dark fired Kentucky.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Jim's RO Fire Storm Review.   Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:07 am

JimInks wrote:
Junkyard Dawg wrote:
I believe this one has Orientals as well? It thus makes for a combination I would love to try.

Thanks for sharing your impressions, Jim.

There's no Orientals in Fire Storm. It's a VaPer with some dark fired Kentucky.

Ok, thanks. I misidentified with another tobacco on TR.
Back to top Go down
JimInks

JimInks

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Jim's RO Fire Storm Review.   Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:03 pm

Here's Russ' comments on Anni Kake and Fire Storm: I always enjoy reading peoples' impressions of Anni Kake because I'm surprised by how many people find the Perique content to be light. There's actually 15% Perique in the blend, but the fact that the Virginias are very sweet and the tobacco is pressed probably contributes to the concept. It's because of that that I developed the RO Series Fire Storm - same Virginias as Anni Kake, even more Perique and dark-fired. Completely changes the profile.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Age : 46
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Jim's RO Fire Storm Review.   Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:37 pm

JimInks wrote:
Here's Russ' comments on Anni Kake and Fire Storm: I always enjoy reading peoples' impressions of Anni Kake because I'm surprised by how many people find the Perique content to be light. There's actually 15% Perique in the blend, but the fact that the Virginias are very sweet and the tobacco is pressed probably contributes to the concept. It's because of that that I developed the RO Series Fire Storm - same Virginias as Anni Kake, even more Perique and dark-fired. Completely changes the profile.

Interesting. I have always found AK to have a very noticeable spice kick. However just through visual inspection, it seems like there's not a lot of perique there, and what is there is more in the form of flecks rather than ribbons.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

JimInks

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Jim's RO Fire Storm Review.   Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:39 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
JimInks wrote:
Here's Russ' comments on Anni Kake and Fire Storm: I always enjoy reading peoples' impressions of Anni Kake because I'm surprised by how many people find the Perique content to be light. There's actually 15% Perique in the blend, but the fact that the Virginias are very sweet and the tobacco is pressed probably contributes to the concept. It's because of that that I developed the RO Series Fire Storm - same Virginias as Anni Kake, even more Perique and dark-fired. Completely changes the profile.

Interesting. I have always found AK to have a very noticeable spice kick. However just through visual inspection, it seems like there's not a lot of perique there, and what is there is more in the form of flecks rather than ribbons.

I imagine that is because granulated perique is used in Anni Kake.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Age : 54
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Jim's RO Fire Storm Review.   Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:38 pm

JimInks wrote:
DrumsAndBeer wrote:
JimInks wrote:
Here's Russ' comments on Anni Kake and Fire Storm: I always enjoy reading peoples' impressions of Anni Kake because I'm surprised by how many people find the Perique content to be light. There's actually 15% Perique in the blend, but the fact that the Virginias are very sweet and the tobacco is pressed probably contributes to the concept. It's because of that that I developed the RO Series Fire Storm - same Virginias as Anni Kake, even more Perique and dark-fired. Completely changes the profile.

Interesting. I have always found AK to have a very noticeable spice kick. However just through visual inspection, it seems like there's not a lot of perique there, and what is there is more in the form of flecks rather than ribbons.

I imagine that is because granulated perique is used in Anni Kake.


I've tried using the granulated Perique, but it just didn't work for my blends. Though, the longcut is a bit too long not to clump up, so I give it a few chops to find that happy medium..
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
JimInks

JimInks

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Jim's RO Fire Storm Review.   Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:55 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
JimInks wrote:
DrumsAndBeer wrote:
JimInks wrote:
Here's Russ' comments on Anni Kake and Fire Storm: I always enjoy reading peoples' impressions of Anni Kake because I'm surprised by how many people find the Perique content to be light. There's actually 15% Perique in the blend, but the fact that the Virginias are very sweet and the tobacco is pressed probably contributes to the concept. It's because of that that I developed the RO Series Fire Storm - same Virginias as Anni Kake, even more Perique and dark-fired. Completely changes the profile.

Interesting. I have always found AK to have a very noticeable spice kick. However just through visual inspection, it seems like there's not a lot of perique there, and what is there is more in the form of flecks rather than ribbons.

I imagine that is because granulated perique is used in Anni Kake.


I've tried using the granulated Perique, but it just didn't work for my blends. Though, the longcut is a bit too long not to clump up, so I give it a few chops to find that happy medium..

I had a problem with it, too. For home blending, you really have to use ribbon cut perique, because the granulated will sink to the bottom. That's why it's generally only used in cake tobaccos.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
 
Jim's RO Fire Storm Review.
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Ecuador says U.K. have threatened to storm its' Embassy to get Assange
» The Fighting North Novies;Int the Fire!" docu-story
» Big Fire In Gulf Breeze 9:03 am
» SpyroDragon.com Review
» Review Section is Now Looking for New Staff Members! Apply Today!

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: