HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share
 

 Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

Age : 47
Location : Kitchener, Ontario CANADA
Registration date : 2015-03-10

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple Empty
PostSubject: Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple   Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 8:01 am

Hi folks,

I picked up an small Adventure bent apple pipe (9mm filter) back in December, mainly to have a pocket-sized nose-warmer type pipe in the pack when I wanted one. The Adventure is not an expensive pipe - paid $40CAD for it, so I didn't have huge expectations for it, but after only 2 smokes, the finish is starting to peel from the bowl.

The lacquer/shellac/?? can be picked off with a thumbnail - the rim is almost bare, with scratches/bare spots on the bowl and shank.

SO, I'm going to use this as an opportunity to try my hand at refinishing a bowl. Will not be replacing the lacquer; will go with a well-sanded briar and carnauba wax instead. What is the best/easiest to remove the rest of the peeling lacquer? Alcohol soak? Steel wool? Something else?

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple 20150318

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple 20150316

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple 20150317
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
RDPipes

RDPipes

Age : 65
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple   Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 8:25 am

You should be able to remove all the lacquer finish with lacquer thinner.
It is the bast for removing any finish to tell ya the truth and evaporates quickly.
You shouldn't need to soak it, just a rag well saturated and start wiping. Of course
I'd suggest taking the stem off first and not getting any lacquer thinner near it.
You also might want to lightly sand the stummel, this will break the surface of the
finish and let thinner soak in easier to lift it. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

Age : 47
Location : Kitchener, Ontario CANADA
Registration date : 2015-03-10

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple   Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 8:31 am

Thanks Cartaphilus. I'm hoping to get started on the refurb soon. Will post before and afters when done Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
RDPipes

RDPipes

Age : 65
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple   Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 9:45 am

ontariopiper wrote:
Thanks Cartaphilus. I'm hoping to get started on the refurb soon. Will post before and afters when done Wink

Sounds good sir! I'll be interested how it comes out Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

Age : 47
Location : Kitchener, Ontario CANADA
Registration date : 2015-03-10

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple Empty
PostSubject: In progress   Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 1:32 pm

A few pics of the pipe after lacquer thinner and wet/dry sand from 400 to 2000 grit. The red colour went with the lacquer, no stain on the wood as far as I can tell.  

The briar actually has fairly impressive tiger striping in the grain, at least to my eye, though I found 4 reasonably large filled areas (to be expected for the purchase price).

First, the disassembled pipe ready to strip. The "chrome" ring came off with a small tug.

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple 20150410

And after stripping and sanding:

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple 20150411

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple 20150412

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple 20150413

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple 20150414

I think I'll leave the briar natural/unstained, as all I have around the house right now is basic wood stain, not the analine stains recommended. I also kind of like the lighter briar look. When wet, the grain really pops, so I'm hoping to keep that after polishing and waxing.

Question - how to deal with the factory fills? You can see in the last pic above that the fill isn't as complete as one might hope. Will a drop of CA glue do the trick?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
RDPipes

RDPipes

Age : 65
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple   Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 3:09 pm

CA will certainly work for the fills but, if you ever plan to stain it I don't know if it will take the stain.
You should be able to pick up Fiebing leather stain at a boot repair or even a major dept. store.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

Age : 47
Location : Kitchener, Ontario CANADA
Registration date : 2015-03-10

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple   Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple EmptyWed Apr 01, 2015 4:15 pm

I've seen the leather stain around here periodically, but have never actually LOOKED for it before. Now that I'm looking, it will probably hide from me! Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

Age : 47
Location : Kitchener, Ontario CANADA
Registration date : 2015-03-10

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple   Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 2:13 pm

At the sure risk of opening a can of unending debate, is there any benefit to coating the INSIDE of the bowl when finishing a pipe?

I ask because the little Adventure pipe seems to have been dipped into the stain when factory finished - I found red stain under whatever black coating they put on the bare briar bowl. I'n not comfortable potentially eating stain (long shot, I know, but...), so I've sanded the bowl back to bare wood as far as I can reach with sandpaper on a dowel. The remnant at the very bottom of the bowl near the airway will stay, as I don't want to bugger up the bowl trying to gouge out the last little bits......

I'm inclined to leave it all natural, inside and out, for a number of reasons: I don't have a "naked" briar in the collection, and kind of like the way it looks. And it's cheaper - no need to order dyes, waxes, etc.

What I will look into is converting the stem from a 9mm charcoal filter to a filterless stem. I really don't like the filter very much. I see 9mm to 3mm adapters with stingers on ebay - coming from China (??). Do these work? I'd pull the stinger out, as I like to be able to actually clean a pipe after use!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
puros_bran
Nightrider
puros_bran

Location : Brandenburg, Ky
Registration date : 2007-12-10

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple   Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 2:32 pm

The benefit is purely financial to the producer.. A machine can dip a strummel in a vat a lot cheaper than a man can apply stain with a brush.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

Age : 47
Location : Kitchener, Ontario CANADA
Registration date : 2015-03-10

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple   Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 2:48 pm

puros_bran wrote:
 The benefit is purely financial to the producer.. A machine can dip a strummel in a vat a lot cheaper than a man can apply stain with a brush.  

That's what I thought! Well said!

Also, a quick pic of the "finished" unfinished pipe after stripping the lacquer & stain, sanding to 2000 grit, taking the bowl back to bare wood and applying a (very) thin coat of mineral oil to bring out the grain. Overall, I'm quite pleased with my first foray into pipe refurbishment!

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple 20150415

And a Before & After: personally I think the pipe look much more refined without the thick candy-apple factory lacquer Smile
Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple 20150319Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple 20150416
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
RDPipes

RDPipes

Age : 65
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple   Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 2:54 pm

ontariopiper wrote:
At the sure risk of opening a can of unending debate, is there any benefit to coating the INSIDE of the bowl when finishing a pipe?

I ask because the little Adventure pipe seems to have been dipped into the stain when factory finished - I found red stain under whatever black coating they put on the bare briar bowl. I'n not comfortable potentially eating stain (long shot, I know, but...), so I've sanded the bowl back to bare wood as far as I can reach with sandpaper on a dowel. The remnant at the very bottom of the bowl near the airway will stay, as I don't want to bugger up the bowl trying to gouge out the last little bits......

I'm inclined to leave it all natural, inside and out, for a number of reasons: I don't have a "naked" briar in the collection, and kind of like the way it looks. And it's cheaper - no need to order dyes, waxes, etc.

What I will look into is converting the stem from a 9mm charcoal filter to a filterless stem. I really don't like the filter very much. I see 9mm to 3mm adapters with stingers on ebay - coming from China (??). Do these work? I'd pull the stinger out, as I like to be able to actually clean a pipe after use!

PB, already answered your stain question so I'll try an answer the filter question. You really don't need the filter adapter, I use one because it keeps the inside of the filter tenon cleaner and I don't see any other need for it because in my opinion it doesn't contribute to a better smoke. If you chose to go with an adapter anyway don't purchase that garbage from China. Send the pipe to me and I'll make one for it that fits it properly. Again, all this will do is keep gunk build up from collecting inside the filter area in the tenon. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
RDPipes

RDPipes

Age : 65
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple   Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 3:00 pm

ontariopiper wrote:
puros_bran wrote:
 The benefit is purely financial to the producer.. A machine can dip a strummel in a vat a lot cheaper than a man can apply stain with a brush.  

That's what I thought! Well said!

Also, a quick pic of the "finished" unfinished pipe after stripping the lacquer & stain, sanding to 2000 grit, taking the bowl back to bare wood and applying a (very) thin coat of mineral oil to bring out the grain. Overall, I'm quite pleased with my first foray into pipe refurbishment!

And a Before & After: personally I think the pipe look much more refined without the thick candy-apple factory lacquer Smile

Looks real good sir but, I would hesitate to put anymore oil on the stummel. It may soak into the chamber and foul your smoke and hinder apply a good coat of wax to it. Now you know you shouldn't use just any wax because most all have a petroleum product in them. Pure Caranuba wax is the thing to use to give it a hard high gloss finish. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
monbla256

monbla256

Age : 73
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple   Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 3:52 pm

THAT'S a job WELL DONE guy !! It's a whole different looking pipe now !! Now all it needs is to be smoked with an occasional application of "nose oil" while the bowl's still warm when you've finished smoking and a nice buff with a nice piece of flannel and your set for a lifetime !! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

Age : 47
Location : Kitchener, Ontario CANADA
Registration date : 2015-03-10

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple   Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 3:54 pm

monbla256 wrote:
THAT'S a job WELL DONE guy !! It's a whole different looking pipe now !! Now all it needs is to be smoked with an occasional application of "nose oil" while the bowl's still warm when you've finished smoking and a nice buff with a nice piece of flannel and your set for a lifetime !! Twisted Evil

Thanks very much! I'm looking forward to many nights around the campfire this summer with this little bent apple. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
RobJ

RobJ

Location : Mukilteo, Washington USA
Registration date : 2014-07-07

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple   Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 4:03 pm

That looks like a job well done. Congrats and happy smokes!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Jevverrett

Age : 36
Location : Meriden, Ct
Registration date : 2014-12-13

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple   Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple EmptyThu Apr 09, 2015 8:19 pm

That looks great, I think. And the nose oil thing Monbla mentioned does work. If you're going to keep it as a pipe for out and about in the bush, it should be perfect. And I think unfinished it may darken with time as you smoke it maybe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple   Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple EmptyTue May 12, 2015 5:54 pm

Nice job on the removal of the stain! I have done this with a few pipes and it stills amazes me that some companies actually cover up BEAUTIFUL briar with stain/lacquer. Sometimes, companies that sold cheaper pipes would stain them super dark to cover up patches/pits and to hide poor briar. But I did this with a Bari pipe that had red lacquer on it and it was one of the most beautiful pipes I had ever touched after the lacquer was removed. The grain on the pipe was gorgeous and it reminds me of this pipe a little bit. Well done!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Age : 55
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple   Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple EmptyTue May 12, 2015 8:06 pm

Looks good enough, smoke it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

Age : 47
Location : Kitchener, Ontario CANADA
Registration date : 2015-03-10

Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple   Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple EmptyWed May 13, 2015 10:34 am

kaitlyn3837 wrote:
Nice job on the removal of the stain! I have done this with a few pipes and it stills amazes me that some companies actually cover up BEAUTIFUL briar with stain/lacquer. Sometimes, companies that sold cheaper pipes would stain them super dark to cover up patches/pits and to hide poor briar. But I did this with a Bari pipe that had red lacquer on it and it was one of the most beautiful pipes I had ever touched after the lacquer was removed. The grain on the pipe was gorgeous and it reminds me of this pipe a little bit. Well done!

Thanks Kaitlyn! I agree wholeheartedly with your position on thick stains. I much prefer to see the wood underneath. I've got one pipe with a high gloss piano black finish, which I quite like, but if/when the back starts chipping off, I'll probably strip it down and see what's hiding underneath! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
 
Peeling finish after 2 smokes: Adventure Bent Apple
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Sand finish Mk2?
» May tinh xach tay|Laptop hp|Laptop apple|Laptop dell
» #530 Random redirection to ads, apple store
» My Own Apple Touch Icon wont' show, only generic one
» [20110917 apple daily] Xiao Zhu played a prank to one of his manager

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: Pipe Techniques-
Jump to: