HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share
 

 759 Match

Go down 
AuthorMessage
monbla256

monbla256

Age : 73
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

759 Match Empty
PostSubject: 759 Match   759 Match EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 2:10 pm

I have an attorney friend over in Dallas that is one of the fashionable "ping-pongers" tobacco wise and is always giving me something "new" to smoke when I see him. Earlier this week I was over in Dallas and we got together and his latest "new" blend was Hearth & Home's BS 759 Match . My having been a 759 smoker back thru the '70s into the early '80s he was happy to "... give ya some of what you used to smoke" as he handed me about 4 ozs of it !! I thanked him and took my baggie home and loaded up my Charatan 420 tanshell finished Billiard up with it after dinner that night. "tin" aroma was similar to my memory of it though not as Latakia heavy as I recall the original. It was a nice loose ribbon cut as the original and loaded and packed similar as I recall the original. Took to the match and lit similar as well and I thought "...we might have something here" but as the flavor reach my tongue I could tell we were NOT smoking the origianal !! The 'old" 759 had ALOT of Syrian Latakia in it and would assault ones palate right off with the Yenidje and other Orientals right behind !! This "new" stuff was much, much lighter Lat and oriental wise but thats probably 'cause I believe Russ uses Cyprian Latakia in this and I'm sure the Orientals are different now than back then. This had a much more subdued flavor as opposed to what I recall I smoked back then. Similar, but NOT the same! "Course most of us 759 smokers back then smokes "fresh" 'baccy and this feels and smokes like I was smoking from a 10 yo tin. Don't get me wrong, it has some of the elements of the old 759 but it is NOT the BS 759 of that time !! It is a good, solid nice smoking Balakan to be enjoyed for this alone but don't smoke it thinking you are going to experience the 759 of old. You're NOT!! Close but no cigar Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Location : North Coast NY
Registration date : 2011-04-09

759 Match Empty
PostSubject: Re: 759 Match   759 Match EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 2:57 pm

Hey, thanks for posting this review, Michael. Some of us old boys especially will find it useful. I never "got" the heavy oriental blends back in the '70s, generally, but I remember 759 as one of the few that I thought were pretty good, once in a while. I never liked, except as a once-in-a-while oddity, Balkan Sobranie White (or Black), just to give you an example of my tastes, or lack of. Bengal Slices was good; Craven's was awesome, Sobranie #10 ditto. We can't live in the past, and was the tobacco "better" then, or was it our youthful taste buds? It would be interesting to compare Russ's version with the current Dunhill. The old boy knows what he's doing, in my experience. Too bad about the Syrian. Maybe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

JimInks

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

759 Match Empty
PostSubject: Re: 759 Match   759 Match EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 3:47 pm

Monbia is correct. 759 used Syrian latakia, which isn't possible now, and the original had more than the new version. The strain of Orientals may have changed, as yenidje isn't the same as it was years ago. That, I know for certain. But the Match is good on its own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Stick

Age : 49
Location : 'Blighty'
Registration date : 2014-02-19

759 Match Empty
PostSubject: Re: 759 Match   759 Match EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 4:31 pm

Shame that Michael. It would have been great if it delivered...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

daveinlax

Location : Wisconsin
Registration date : 2007-12-28

759 Match Empty
PostSubject: Re: 759 Match   759 Match EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 7:16 pm

Even Gallaher couldn't match the Sobranie House tobacco and they had the recipe.
Blackhouse is the 759 match that won the BS Throwdown a few years ago in Chicago. Shocked
http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2011/5/21/russ-ouellette-wins-balkan-sobranie-throwdown-mike-mcneil-wi.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Age : 73
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

759 Match Empty
PostSubject: Re: 759 Match   759 Match EmptyFri Apr 03, 2015 7:44 pm

daveinlax wrote:
Even Gallaher couldn't match the Sobranie House tobacco and they had the recipe.
Blackhouse is the 759 match that won the BS Throwdown a few years ago in Chicago. Shocked
http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2011/5/21/russ-ouellette-wins-balkan-sobranie-throwdown-mike-mcneil-wi.html

Thanks for that link and I remember reading about that when it happened, The thing I was trying to get across was that my opinions are based on MEMORY of the product as I smoked it from '72 thru '85 and as I said it was ALL smoked "fresh" off the shelf with no more aging than what occured from date of manufacturing to sale point, i.e. FRESH as I said. Unless one has a time machine to allow one to get to sample a tin of it during that time today,as well as aquire the SAME base tobaccos from the SAME suppliers as then today, you can only get CLOSE to what it WAS !! As you mentioned, Gallaher made changes to it while they produced it and it was those changes which made me stop smoking it in '85!! Twisted Evil  Trying to get what was is a futile endeaver and we should enjoy what we have NOW!! That's what we did , at least I have done. "back in the day" !! Twisted Evil  JMHO  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scottbtdmb

scottbtdmb

Age : 38
Location : Bel Air, MD
Registration date : 2010-02-19

759 Match Empty
PostSubject: Re: 759 Match   759 Match EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 7:19 am

monbla256 wrote:
daveinlax wrote:
Even Gallaher couldn't match the Sobranie House tobacco and they had the recipe.
Blackhouse is the 759 match that won the BS Throwdown a few years ago in Chicago. Shocked
http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2011/5/21/russ-ouellette-wins-balkan-sobranie-throwdown-mike-mcneil-wi.html

Thanks for that link and I remember reading about that when it happened, The thing I was trying to get across was that my opinions are based on MEMORY of the product as I smoked it from '72 thru '85 and as I said it was ALL smoked "fresh" off the shelf with no more aging than what occured from date of manufacturing to sale point, i.e. FRESH as I said. Unless one has a time machine to allow one to get to sample a tin of it during that time today,as well as aquire the SAME base tobaccos from the SAME suppliers as then today, you can only get CLOSE to what it WAS !! As you  mentioned, Gallaher made changes to it while they produced it and it was those changes which made me stop smoking it in '85!! Twisted Evil  Trying to get what was is a futile endeaver and we should enjoy what we have NOW!! That's what we did , at least I have done. "back in the day" !! Twisted Evil  JMHO  Twisted Evil

Hate to say it, but if you started smoking Sobranie in 1972, you never smoked any with Syrian latakia. According to a Greg Pease article, the Sobranie House switched over to Cyprian latakia around 1960...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Age : 73
Location : DFW Metroplex, Texas
Registration date : 2012-01-15

759 Match Empty
PostSubject: Re: 759 Match   759 Match EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 7:28 am

scottbtdmb wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
daveinlax wrote:
Even Gallaher couldn't match the Sobranie House tobacco and they had the recipe.
Blackhouse is the 759 match that won the BS Throwdown a few years ago in Chicago. Shocked
http://www.apassionforpipes.com/neills-blog/2011/5/21/russ-ouellette-wins-balkan-sobranie-throwdown-mike-mcneil-wi.html

Thanks for that link and I remember reading about that when it happened, The thing I was trying to get across was that my opinions are based on MEMORY of the product as I smoked it from '72 thru '85 and as I said it was ALL smoked "fresh" off the shelf with no more aging than what occured from date of manufacturing to sale point, i.e. FRESH as I said. Unless one has a time machine to allow one to get to sample a tin of it during that time today,as well as aquire the SAME base tobaccos from the SAME suppliers as then today, you can only get CLOSE to what it WAS !! As you  mentioned, Gallaher made changes to it while they produced it and it was those changes which made me stop smoking it in '85!! Twisted Evil  Trying to get what was is a futile endeaver and we should enjoy what we have NOW!! That's what we did , at least I have done. "back in the day" !! Twisted Evil  JMHO  Twisted Evil

Hate to say it, but if you started smoking Sobranie in 1972, you never smoked any with Syrian latakia.  According to a Greg Pease article, the Sobranie House switched over to Cyprian latakia around 1960...

My bad !! Mr, Pease in NO WAY could be wrong about this so it's obvious that others including the Sobranie House have been lying all these years !! I stand corrected by my younger more experienced brothers .... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Tkach

Thomas Tkach

Age : 32
Location : North Dakota
Registration date : 2010-11-24

759 Match Empty
PostSubject: Re: 759 Match   759 Match EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 11:45 am

I wonder if the fact that clones are lighter on latakia may be due to the nature of cloning long-gone tobaccos. If you have an aged sample to compare when trying to blend fresh, the character of the latakia will have toned down, so you'll use less latakia to get the same character of the aged tobacco in your fresh sample. You won't have successfully cloned what the original tasted like fresh, either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Age : 55
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

759 Match Empty
PostSubject: Re: 759 Match   759 Match EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 12:17 pm

It really is unfortunate that those folks in Syria can't stop fighting for a few years or so and get back to those tobacco fields and start producing that fine Latakia again. It's like they have no consideration for those of us in the Western World whining desperately for something different to put in our pipes, eh? I mean, what the heck are they growing out there now, opium for the pharmaceutical companies?

smirk
Back to top Go down
View user profile
daveinlax

daveinlax

Location : Wisconsin
Registration date : 2007-12-28

759 Match Empty
PostSubject: Re: 759 Match   759 Match EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 12:37 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
It really is unfortunate that those folks in Syria can't stop fighting for a few years or so and get back to those tobacco fields and start producing that fine Latakia again.
From what I've gathered a large part of the problem is that the wood they need to smoke the tobacco is in short supply and not worth burning on tobacco. Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Age : 55
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

759 Match Empty
PostSubject: Re: 759 Match   759 Match EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 7:40 pm

You may have a point there, probably not a lot of trees growing out there, eh?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Moderator
Brewdude

Age : 66
Location : Arid-zona
Registration date : 2011-05-04

759 Match Empty
PostSubject: Re: 759 Match   759 Match EmptySat Apr 04, 2015 8:58 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
You may have a point there, probably not a lot of trees growing out there, eh?


This!

Neutral



Cheers,

RR

_________________
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin


759 Match Purple11x 2759 Match Bombx10  759 Match Bombx5759 Match D6bddf10 759 Match 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
 
759 Match
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Kimberly Guilfoyle Is Wrong: Young Women Should Vote and Use Tinder and Match.com

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: