HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Jim's GLP JackKnife Plug Review.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
JimInks

JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

Jim's GLP JackKnife Plug Review. Empty
PostSubject: Jim's GLP JackKnife Plug Review.   Jim's GLP JackKnife Plug Review. EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 10:53 pm

The dark fired Kentucky is the star. Perhaps it's a little less spicy than some grades of DFK, but it has enough to satisfy the desire for it. It's very earthy, a little nutty, with a hint of sweet molasses. The red Virginia is tangy, earthy sweet with a touch of fruit, and is a nice supporting player. The bright flue cured Virginia offers a mild citrus and a milder grass note. Experienced smokers will notice that the processing melds the tobaccos so that you always notice the individual components, which undergo a little fermentation. Not as complex as it seems because the Kentucky does at times overshadow the other tobaccos, but it burns smoother than many blends with this high a percentage of Kentucky. As it is sold in plug form, it seems to be just a little sweeter and tangier because of fermentation than the ready rubbed version, but it’s not a night and day difference. Takes time to cut and prepare it to what ever your preference is, and may need a little dry time. It burns very slowly, requiring a number of relights. Leaves no real dottle, though you will have to stir up the bottom a bit to burn it all up. Leaves a little moisture which the ready rubbed version barely does.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP JackKnife Plug Review.   Jim's GLP JackKnife Plug Review. EmptyTue Apr 07, 2015 11:49 pm

Once I tried this blend, it immediately found a place in my regular rotation. I find it especially well suited to cob smoking. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP JackKnife Plug Review.   Jim's GLP JackKnife Plug Review. EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 10:34 am

I'm eager to revisit this blend. Thanks for the review.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP JackKnife Plug Review.   Jim's GLP JackKnife Plug Review. EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 12:33 pm

Thanx for your positive review. I tried JKP last fall. Whew, Lady Nic kicked me in the stomach!! I put it down; relit after about 30 minutes with same results!!! I put'er away in a nice jar to sit for a while. After reading this nice review, I'll give it another try. We'll see Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP JackKnife Plug Review.   Jim's GLP JackKnife Plug Review. EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 12:38 pm

I like this Plug, but in small doses. After a tin, I find the DFK is almost too much dominant and it's almost too strong on the Vitamin N to make it truly enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP JackKnife Plug Review.   Jim's GLP JackKnife Plug Review. EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 1:01 pm

I was given a tin of this a years ago at Christmas and when I popped the top I really liked the aroma but began to realize how Burley forward it was as i started my usual respons eo Burley by sneezing vehemently ! I persisted, sliced some off, rubbed it out and let it dry under a lamp and loaded up and lit 'er up !! I liked the flavors and fullness but my nose did not ! Barely a fourth of the way down I had to empty my pipe and set the tin away to give to a friend who's a big Burley fan. It's not one I'll try again !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP JackKnife Plug Review.   Jim's GLP JackKnife Plug Review. EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 1:18 pm

Guyrox wrote:
I like this Plug, but in small doses. After a tin, I find the DFK is almost too much dominant and it's almost too strong on the Vitamin N to make it truly enjoyable.

My past experience was close to this. Minus the bit about the nicotine. I do absolutely love TP. But I liked JKP and moved away from it in the past. I'm finding a lot of success recently by revisiting blends like that. My greater smoking knowledge and technique is helping me to get over some hurdles to blends I generally thought well of.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP JackKnife Plug Review.   Jim's GLP JackKnife Plug Review. EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 4:11 pm

monbla256 wrote:
I was given a tin of this a years ago at Christmas and when I popped the top I really liked the aroma but began to realize how Burley forward it was as i started my usual respons eo Burley by sneezing vehemently ! I persisted, sliced some off, rubbed it out and let it dry under a lamp and loaded up and lit 'er up !! I liked the flavors and fullness but my nose did not ! Barely a fourth of the way down I had to empty my pipe and set the tin away to give to a friend who's a big Burley fan. It's not one I'll try again !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Michael, people get new noses all the time, especially out on the West Coast. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Jim's GLP JackKnife Plug Review.   Jim's GLP JackKnife Plug Review. EmptyWed Apr 08, 2015 5:57 pm

Dutch wrote:
monbla256 wrote:

Michael, people get new noses all the time, especially out on the West Coast. Smile

From what I understand about those is they are just the outside, nothings done with the INTERNAL wireing Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Besides, I like ginny weed BETTER anyway !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Jim's GLP JackKnife Plug Review.
Page 1 of 1