HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel Empty
PostSubject: An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel   An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 2:03 pm

I recently acquired a little Wellington-style pipe on ebay. It arrived absolutely filthy, but it cleaned up ok, albeit with a LOT of elbow grease!

After cleaning, I noticed what looked like a scratch on the bowl. After removing the old varnish finish, the flaw turn out to be an old fill that, along with a few more of its relatives, literally fell out of the stummel. The old varnish was the only thing holding these fills in, it seems!

Not having a supply of briar dust to replace the fills, I decided to try something new - rustication! I bought a small assortment of small wood carving bits for my multitool (generic dremel) and went at it today. Results were fast (less than 30 minutes for this little bowl) and I'm quite pleased with the look of the pipe. The colour of the pipe may change when I get some darker stains in, but the general effect is nice, and the pipe feels good in the hand.

Hope you like the pics!  Very Happy

Before:

An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel 20150417

After initial cleaning/stripping of varnish:

An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel 20150420

An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel 20150421

During rustication:

An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel 20150422

Finished (still needs a good waxing):

An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel 20150425

Before & After:

An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel 20150426An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel 20150427
Back to top Go down
http://www.dadspipes.com
RobJ

RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel   An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 2:46 pm

That turned out pretty well, nice job. I have an XL Peterson System pipe that I think could benefit by rustication, it's really a plain Jane as is, and has some fills that are quite noticeable. I have a Dremel but lack the courage and skills to pull it off.

Back to top Go down
eklektos44

eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel   An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 2:54 pm

Very nice. I like it! Excellent job.. cheers
Back to top Go down
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel   An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 3:22 pm

Thanks, guys! I had fun doing it.

And RJ - I have nothing special in the way of skills when it comes to pipe restoration. Total noob, actually. Of course, working on a $15 estate pipe is a lot different than an XL Peterson! This was definitely a low risk, high reward adventure. $25 or so, all in, including sandpapers, carving bits, etc.
Back to top Go down
juanmedusa

juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel   An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 3:28 pm

You've got a future, brother.
Back to top Go down
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel   An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 3:37 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
You've got a future, brother.

Hey, thanks! That's very flattering. I'm hoping to build the skills to try my hand at making a new pipe at some point. These cruddy estate pipes seem like a good starting point - cheap to try, and each pipe brings its own challenges and rewards on the path to restoration.

I haven't been able to find anyone in my area already doing this, so I'm relying on online self-directed learning to pick up the rudiments of the craft. Forums like BoB are an essential part of that for me!
Back to top Go down
Gonzo

Gonzo

Registration date : 2015-03-18

PostSubject: Re: An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel   An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 5:25 pm

Look nice! I like it.
Back to top Go down
https://www.etsy.com/shop/GonzoArtCollective?ref=hdr_shop_menu
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel   An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 5:51 pm

Superb job OP, and all with a dremel! Looking forward to seeing how it looks when the wax is on.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel   An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 9:43 pm

Sure looks like a great refub job to me.

Cool

Cheers,

RR

An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel Purple11x 3An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel Bombx10An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel Bombx10  An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel D6bddf10 An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel Cowboy13An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel   An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 8:12 am

Thanks gents! I appreciate the support.

In the spirit of adventure, my next refurb attempt will be using the briar dust collected from this rustication to fill similar pits and scratches in a larger wellington-style pipe I got in the same eBay lot. Very Happy

I'll post that one when finished too!
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel   An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 12:05 pm

ontariopiper wrote:

Finished (still needs a good waxing):

An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel 20150425

That right there is an excellent job, bravo. cheers
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel   An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Nice job dressing up that Pete! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
tslots

tslots

Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel   An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 2:16 pm

Great results for a first attempt!
Back to top Go down
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel   An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 3:43 pm

Thanks to all for the very kind comments. It's reassuring to know I'm on the right track with all this! Smile
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel   An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 10:07 pm

Yeah great job on that rustication. Looks better than most actual Peterson finishes..
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel   An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 11:22 pm

I love a well done rustication...which is far from being an easy thing to pull off.

You easily did just that. The rusticated finish is far, far more handsome than the smooth from which it was made...and with a better surface area for cooling...you re-engineered is very well. Congrats!

An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel D6bddf10An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel 29400910An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel 114e6110An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel Ddb39b10An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel Cf77ce10An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel Dd692012An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel Cowboy13
Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel   An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 11:43 pm

Wow! Great job!! cheers

-Yak
Back to top Go down
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel   An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 7:10 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Yeah great job on that rustication. Looks better than most actual Peterson finishes..

High praise, indeed, DrumsAndBeer! I'm only just starting to assemble the basic equipment for decent refurbs, so everything to date is more or less done by hand or by rotary tool. Keeping my eyes open for a used buffer (using my drill press in the meantime) and will be putting in an order for polishing compounds and waxes before too long.

If I can keep the expenses low enough not to arouse the wrath of She Who Must Be Obeyed, I may just be able to set up a decent starter shop for myself. Work over a hockey sock of estate pipes, and then maybe start looking for actual paid refurb jobs. Who knows!
Back to top Go down
JustTroItIn

JustTroItIn

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel   An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel EmptySun May 10, 2015 12:50 pm

That pipe turned out quite nice!  What style bits were you using on your Dremel?  Were they like these?

An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel 125-90
Back to top Go down
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel   An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel EmptySun May 10, 2015 1:11 pm

JustTroItIn wrote:
That pipe turned out quite nice!  What style bits were you using on your Dremel?  Were they like these?

An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel 125-90

The carving bit that I used was like the one labelled 190 in your pic. Very small round head that I used to "dot" the surface of the briar in a random pattern. Keep a firm hand on the dremel, as the bit will wander or dig too deep if you let it. Smile
Back to top Go down

An Exercise in DIY Rustication with Dremel
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: