HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Field & stream match

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bugsahearn

avatar

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Field & stream match   Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:36 pm

I tried the field & stream match blend after reading about the original f & s licorice & floral topping. It's literally just mixture 79 without the mix 79 pouch. Laziness on sutlifffe's end? I can't imagine that field & stream tasted exactly like 79...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 53
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:16 pm

I have tried neither, so I can only wonder
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

avatar

Age : 45
Location : Northern, CA
Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:06 pm

If you're looking for a nice blend with licorice and a subtle floral flavor, check out Darbyshire.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

avatar

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:36 pm

Sounds interesting drums thanks I'll check it out. I'm surprised there aren't more licorice flavored tobaccos around...there aren't too many that i know of darbyshire is new to me. I saw a picture of an ancient tobacco tin of auld lange syne tonka bean flavored tobacco...yum I bet there was a lot of licorice & tonquin available back then
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

avatar

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:48 pm

When dried a bit the flavors distinguish themselves a bit more but it still clearly has a heavy dose of the m79 essence. Jim, i saw your review on tr of the match blend...whats your opinion on the m79 flavor in the f&s match? Did the og f&s have a similar flavor to m79 or is it just sutliffe's way of making a floral topping?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

avatar

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:46 pm

I've started to really like this stuff
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:51 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:
Sounds interesting drums thanks I'll check it out. I'm surprised there aren't more licorice flavored tobaccos around...there aren't too many that i know of darbyshire is new to me. I saw a picture of an ancient tobacco tin of auld lange syne tonka bean flavored tobacco...yum I bet there was a lot of licorice & tonquin available back then

Check out Uhle's 255. Cube cut Burley with a Licorice top dressing that's sparingly applied. Very nice.


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
JimInks

avatar

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:22 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:
When dried a bit the flavors distinguish themselves a bit more but it still clearly has a heavy dose of the m79 essence. Jim, i saw your review on tr of the match blend...whats your opinion on the m79 flavor in the f&s match? Did the og f&s have a similar flavor to m79 or is it just sutliffe's way of making a floral topping?

I've never smoked #79, so I can't compare them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

avatar

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Sat May 09, 2015 3:13 am

1000 + reviews and no m 79? :O I think you might like it actually. Personally even though I like EGR I find the sutliffe tobacco leaves a bad taste in my pipe...they kinda tastes like cigarettes especially the after taste. I think it's tobacco quality as much as I like the topping in EGR & 79 it's just not high quality tobacco
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

avatar

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Sat May 09, 2015 3:19 am

Brew dude where do you order Uhle's from? I can't find it on any of the suppliers would love to try 255
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

avatar

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Sat May 09, 2015 3:26 am

I see can order straight from uhles! Is the licorice topping strong enough that I should order some? I like a heavy dose of flavor...my favorites are ennerdale & grousemoor for reference....if the licorice is heavy I would def place an order
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 64
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Sat May 09, 2015 8:52 am

Bugsahearn wrote:
I see can order straight from uhles! Is the licorice topping strong enough that I should order some? I like a heavy dose of flavor...my favorites are ennerdale & grousemoor for reference....if the licorice is heavy I would def place an order

The licorice in the Uhles 255 is not pronounced, rather it is lightly applied.


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
JimInks

avatar

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Sat May 09, 2015 3:16 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:
1000 + reviews and no m 79? :O  I think you might like it actually. Personally even though I like EGR I find the sutliffe tobacco leaves a bad taste in my pipe...they kinda tastes like cigarettes especially the after taste. I think it's tobacco quality as much as I like the topping in EGR & 79 it's just not high quality tobacco

I've always avoided Mixture #79 because of the amazing number of negative comments, but I suppose I should try it some time. I'm just not going to spend any money on it.

I don't feel as you do about Sutliff tobacco. In fact, you might be surprised to know that a fair amount of companies use their tobaccos, including Hearth&Home and Iwan Reis. You might be smoking it and not know it. And I think their English blends are pretty good. They may not be "boutique" or "chic" like some company offerings, but I like them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

avatar

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Sat May 09, 2015 10:42 pm

thanks brew albino


jim, if you like sutliff thats all that matters. i would contend other companies use their tobacco because its cheap but it doesnt matter. ive been wanting to try iwan ries king;s oriental for a long time but now that i know it's sutliffe tobacco i'm not as interested. i wish they would bring back lakeland brickle...lavender & clove really sounds like it would be my all day smoke, sutliffe or not.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

avatar

Location : North Coast NY
Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Sat May 09, 2015 11:33 pm

JimInks wrote:

I've always avoided Mixture #79 because of the amazing number of negative comments, but I suppose I should try it some time.

It's not that bad. You probably won't like the first bowl because the flavoring is a bit assertive, kind of soapy like the old Bond Street. It eventually settles down to being just another flavored burley blend, much milder than what I remember from my early days of pipe smoking, when I habitually blistered the lacquer off Medicos and the lining off my tongue. There are worse. Its notoriety is kind of a meme or inside joke among many pipe cognoscenti.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

avatar

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Sun May 10, 2015 12:19 am

you;ve pretty much had it with the field & stream match, if you like that you'd like m 79. the minty/floral taste in the match is the m 79 essence as far as i can tell
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

avatar

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Sun May 10, 2015 3:53 am

Bugsahearn wrote:
thanks brew albino


jim, if you like sutliff thats all that matters. i would contend other companies use their tobacco because its cheap but it doesnt matter. ive been wanting to try iwan ries king;s oriental for a long time but now that i know it's sutliffe tobacco i'm not as interested. i wish they would bring back lakeland brickle...lavender & clove really sounds like it would be my all day smoke, sutliffe or not.

Again, I would disagree. The quality of Sutliff's tobaccos isn't cheaper than most other American companies. There's only a very few, maybe three, major growers/sellers for pipe tobacco in this country, and the prices and quality of tobaccos sold to blending houses are fairly much the same, partly because they mostly get tobaccos from the same place or places. I would say that much of the tobaccos used by foreign companies tend to be superior, but they use tobaccos from countries most American blending houses don't use due to the expense. I don't know what all you smoke, but I'm betting at times you smoke Sutliff tobacco and don't know that you are. I've been in their warehouse and have seen a number of the companies they supply and blend and package for. I was surprised by who some of those companies are. I only mention Hearth&Home and Iwan Reis because they publicly say they use Sutliff, although not all of either company's products are manufactured by Sutliff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

avatar

Age : 61
Location : Virginia
Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Sun May 10, 2015 7:06 am

JimInks wrote:
Bugsahearn wrote:
thanks brew albino


jim, if you like sutliff thats all that matters. i would contend other companies use their tobacco because its cheap but it doesnt matter. ive been wanting to try iwan ries king;s oriental for a long time but now that i know it's sutliffe tobacco i'm not as interested. i wish they would bring back lakeland brickle...lavender & clove really sounds like it would be my all day smoke, sutliffe or not.

Again, I would disagree. The quality of Sutliff's tobaccos isn't cheaper than most other American companies. There's only a very few, maybe three, major growers/sellers for pipe tobacco in this country, and the prices and quality of tobaccos sold to blending houses are fairly much the same, partly because they mostly get tobaccos from the same place or places. I would say that much of the tobaccos used by foreign companies tend to be superior, but they use tobaccos from countries most American blending houses don't use due to the expense. I don't know what all you smoke, but I'm betting at times you smoke Sutliff tobacco and don't know that you are. I've been in their warehouse and have seen a number of the companies they supply and blend and package for. I was surprised by who some of those companies are. I only mention Hearth&Home and Iwan Reis because they publicly say they use Sutliff, although not all of either company's products are manufactured by Sutliff.

This has been my experience with a host of products, and not just tobacco. When I got out of the Navy I drove a semi for a few years, and it really opened my eyes. There's a host of name brand products that are virtually identical to generics, as they all come from a few suppliers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

avatar

Location : North Coast NY
Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Sun May 10, 2015 10:09 am

I don't believe in "inferior" pipe tobacco. John Patton here said as much on another thread, re American domestic blends. What is "inferior" might be the blending process, the lack of exotic leaf, the additives, etc. Velvet is the cheapest tobacco I know of, and I like it. It doesn't seem that the quality of the leaf, per se, is what makes it cheap, but the minimal processing of just plain burley. That doesn't make it "inferior" to my mind, admittedly a bit catholic in taste.

There is one exception: I could swear that some of the American domestic companies experimented with adding chopped homogenized leaf to their blends back in the '70s. I say this because I remember looking at it under a microscope, and sure enough there were pieces of tobacco that had the fiberboard look, like the binder on a cheap cigar. Half and Half had it. Paladin Black Cherry had it. I was suspicious because it made the back of my throat fee weird, even though I wasn't inhaling. I think that would qualify as inferior tobacco.


Last edited by Richard Burley on Sun May 10, 2015 5:36 pm; edited 69 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

avatar

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Sun May 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Jim I would agree that sutliffe isn't worse quality than most other american tobacco...but in my opinion they are all not great for the most part. Personally I only like lakeland tobacco. It's seems to me sam gawith & G&H is far superior to most of the american blends I've tried. I think it's the lack of chemical processing? But the tobacco seems to be a higher quality to me. I don't really like anything but lakeland except for the occasional c&d. I'm not being snobby or anything the tobacco just taste a lot better and more real to me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

avatar

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Sun May 10, 2015 2:46 pm

Jim, since I read your review on TR do you think iwan ries old colonial or kings oriental is made from sutliffe tobacco?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

avatar

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Sun May 10, 2015 3:01 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:
Jim, since I read your review on TR do you think iwan ries old colonial or kings oriental is made from sutliffe tobacco?

I like Old Colonial and think it's a pretty decent OTC-type, and it probably is made by Sutliff, but I do not know that for a fact since every batch I ever smoked was traded me by a friend, and I've never read the package to see. I've never tried Kings Oriental, and have no knowledge of it beside the fact that it exists.

I'm not trying to continue an argument, but if you only like Lakelands - I like a lot of them myself - then it's no wonder you don't like Sutliff or most other companies' products. I guess it's a combination of soil and climate in foreign countries, but I find Virginias and burleys from South Africa and Indonesia are earthier and heartier than most of those grown in the USA. That's probably half of what you react to. Can't say about the chemical process by either Gawith company  - which are now one company - because I don't know enough to answer that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

avatar

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Sun May 10, 2015 4:37 pm

It's all about personal taste jim. Most people hate m 79 but if the base tobacco was different I would smoke an awful lot of it. Since we are on the field & stream thread...PH strong dark flake is said to have a licorice topping but I've never tried it. How strong is the licorice Flavor in Your opinion?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

avatar

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Sun May 10, 2015 5:02 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:
It's all about personal taste jim. Most people hate m 79 but if the base tobacco was different I would smoke an awful lot of it. Since we are on the field & stream thread...PH strong dark flake is said to have a licorice topping but I've never tried it. How strong is the licorice Flavor in Your opinion?

I never thought it was very strong. I consider it a shade over mild. It's not quite the same as it was back when I first tried in 2001, but I smoked an ounce toward the end of 2014 and still enjoyed it. Here's my review if it will help you decide:

The Red Virginia adds much of what sweetness there is, tangy and dried dark fruit. It's a bit subdued by the dark fired Kentucky, but that's not a complaint. I consider the RV to be more of a condimental addition. The Kentucky is a little deeper flavored with a touch more earth and a little spice. The molasses is either from a little burley other than the Kentucky or the topping; I can't decide which. Is it the very same tobacco as the Orlik Dark Kentucky? No, it isn't. Orlik Dark Kentucky was a slightly sweeter and easier on the tongue when I compared the two blends some years back. DSK seems just slightly harsher with a licorice note unnoticed in ODK. The red Virginia was a little more prominent in ODK with more dark fruit flavor. You could see it a more, too. Despite the differences, DSF is a very flavorful tobacco, and it's better with age, even though it's good fresh from the tin. It's very satisfying if you like tobacco in this genre. I do like the Orlik DK better, but that was then and this is now.

Edit: 12-24-2014: I'm smoking a freshly opened tin and the tobacco has changed from when I smoked it years ago. The Virginia is brighter, less red, and doesn't have the level of dark fruit that it once had, but the sweet level doesn't seem to have be lessened. It still has the same molasses and licorice flavor. It has a little grass that it didn't have before, though the level of earthiness seems to be the same. It's also a little spicier than it used to be. It's still a very good tobacco, and I am still recommending it, but I wanted to update my review to reflect the changes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

avatar

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Field & stream match   Mon May 11, 2015 12:37 am

thanks jim i frequently reference your reviews and i find them helpful. so is the licorice strong in dsf or a minor component?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Field & stream match
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Match fixing in Italian Football ....should be suspended for up to 3 Years says PM Monti
» RCAMC Officers Coloured Field Service Cap
» Javascript Code to "re-insert" a profile field in a different spot?
» CANADIAN FIELD HOSPITAL A.M.C.
» Update Profile Field from other Pages

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: