HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

HH Bold Kentucky - tins vs bulk

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: HH Bold Kentucky - tins vs bulk   Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:50 pm

Any divine wisdom from the braintrust here on BoB about the differences between the tinned version of HH Bold Kentucky vs the 1 lb box?

I've experienced differences between the same blends in bulk vs tins upon occasion and wonder if this might be the case here as well?

So far it looks like this is a blend I should check out based on the reviews and gut feeling (I do rather enjoy HH ODF). At the same time I'm mindful of the differences in the ageing process of tins vs bulk.

My limited experience is that the bulk is somewhat milder in character than the tins, at least for some blends. And while the price point for the bulk is very much more attractive I shouldn't want to deprive myself of the full experience.

I hasten to add I have yet to experience HH Bold Kentucky. Just wondering out loud!

bom

Cheers,

RR

PS...And yes, perhaps I should get in a box and a tin and check it out for myself. Yet before I do that it would be helpful to see if there is anyone on the board that has made a comparison.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
Lysander

Lysander

Registration date : 2014-11-15

PostSubject: Re: HH Bold Kentucky - tins vs bulk   Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:02 pm

Who sells HH Bold Kentucky in bulk?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: HH Bold Kentucky - tins vs bulk   Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:25 pm

Lysander wrote:
Who sells HH Bold Kentucky in bulk?

smokingpipes and mars. Others most probably.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: HH Bold Kentucky - tins vs bulk   Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:56 pm

OK, so no one has compared the HH Bold Kentucky in tins and bulk. So how about this-

Concerning the HH line, has anyone noticed a difference in the tin vs bulk in any of the other lines such as ODF, Acadian Perique, and so on?

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: HH Bold Kentucky - tins vs bulk   Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:59 pm

I rarely buy tins, but am slowly being drawn in. Experience overall tells me, Tins tend to be more moist than bulk, sometimes even more age. I would guess all products would be that way. Logic would dictate that tinned weed would be stronger in every way than bulk....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: HH Bold Kentucky - tins vs bulk   Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:42 pm

I haven't tried the bulk Bold Kentucky, but the bulk ODF is as moist as the tin version, and I detect no differences between the two.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: HH Bold Kentucky - tins vs bulk   Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:12 am

JimInks wrote:
I haven't tried the bulk Bold Kentucky, but the bulk ODF is as moist as the tin version, and I detect no differences between the two.

That's very telling Jim. Thanks.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
MisterE
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: HH Bold Kentucky - tins vs bulk   Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:32 am

Brewdude wrote:
OK, so no one has compared the HH Bold Kentucky in tins and bulk. So how about this-

Concerning the HH line, has anyone noticed a difference in the tin vs bulk in any of the other lines such as ODF, Acadian Perique, and so on?

Cheers,

RR

Yes, I noticed a huge difference between Acadian Perique tinned vs. bulk. When I tried the first run in the autographed tins, I was so impressed I bought a pound in bulk. The bulk was lighter and lacked the flavor of the tinned version. I found the HH Matured to be slightly different as well, but not quite as as much. Neither blend figures very highly in my cellar, so it's no big deal. ODF is the only thing I've tried lately than might merit a bulk purchase.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: HH Bold Kentucky - tins vs bulk   Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:04 pm

MisterE wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

Cheers,

RR

Yes, I noticed a huge difference between Acadian Perique tinned vs. bulk. When I tried the first run in the autographed tins, I was so impressed I bought a pound in bulk. The bulk was lighter and lacked the flavor of the tinned version. I found the HH Matured to be slightly different as well, but not quite as as much. Neither blend figures very highly in my cellar, so it's no big deal. ODF is the only thing I've tried lately than might merit a bulk purchase.

I think the reason you noticed a difference between the bulk Acadian Perique and the tin was not just that it continues to age in the tin where it won't in the bulk, but the tobacco in ribbon cuts get more air than flakes do. That's why there is a subtle difference in bulk ready rubbed ODF versus tinned flake ODF.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Brewdude
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: HH Bold Kentucky - tins vs bulk   Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:26 pm

JimInks wrote:
MisterE wrote:
Brewdude wrote:

Cheers,

RR

I think the reason you noticed a difference between the bulk Acadian Perique and the tin was not just that it continues to age in the tin where it won't in the bulk, but the tobacco in ribbon cuts get more air than flakes do. That's why there is a subtle difference in bulk ready rubbed ODF versus tinned flake ODF.

Good points Jim, thanks for bringing that up.

Eff me....... I just went back and tried to find the bulk Bold Kty on both Mars and SP sites and it's not listed. Did I have a brain fart or is it no longer available there? Or did I somehow confuse ODF and Bold Kty? I wasn't drinking, I swear!

Suspect Question

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down

HH Bold Kentucky - tins vs bulk
Page 1 of 1