HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Major deghosting effort

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Major deghosting effort    Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:12 am

A bit of a renovation saga for you. A few weeks ago I got a nice sandblasted Pete 314 off of fleabay. Started cleaning it up but it was in pretty good nick, reamed it, ran vodka soaked pipe cleaners through till they came out clean, then lit her up. My goodness, I don't know if someone stored it in a ladies underwear drawer for ten years or if they'd previously smoked incense in there. It was baaaaaad.

So I gave it a further reaming and retorted about a quart of vodka through it with another reaming half way through. It still stank of perfume. I then filled it with kosher salt and vodka, both the bowl and the sump of the system, the let it soak for two days. The salt came out dark brown. Still with the stench of harlot about it. So another fill with salt and baked it at 95 degrees centigrade for five hours. Still the ghastly aroma and dark brown salt.

Back to retorting till it ran clear which was likely almost another quart. Still stinky, so I thought I'd smoke it out. 3 bowls of Gaslight in quick succession did nothing, nor the two bowls of Plum Pudding or five of Balkan Saseini. Finally I pulled out the big guns and loaded two bowls of Semois and hotboxed them in under twenty minutes. It worked, I'm currently enjoying a bowl of Escudo with only faint hints of of Semois coming through with just a hint of knickers at the end.

Actually the Semois ghost goes with wonderfully with the porter I'm drinking. Nice smokey, malty goodness in a glass.

Cheers all,

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Major deghosting effort    Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:01 pm

Wow! That sure was a stubborn ghost! Usually the salt/alcohol treatment does the trick on the estate pipes I've bought. Haven't needed anything stronger - yet - but I'm bookmarking your saga so I know what my options are when I finally encounter a "ladies knickers" pipe!

Funny, cuz I don't usually object to encounters with ladies' knickers..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Major deghosting effort    Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:42 pm

The dreaded "L" ghost is a bugger. Requires a full exorcism IMO!

Suspect

Glad you got rid of yours. I'm still fighting one in one of my favorite smokers.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Major deghosting effort    Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:46 pm

It is that lingering whiff at the bottom of the bowl that takes forever to depart.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Major deghosting effort    Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:07 pm

Sounds like a ton of work, but in the end, you were victorious........

Ka' Plah!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Major deghosting effort    Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:19 pm

Yeah the lingering whiff is still making its presence known, I'm going to smoke the hell out of it today with Vintage Syrian today to see if I can finally rid this scented demon.

About the only trick I didn't try was ground activated charcoal in the bowl and baking it for several hours on low.

I normally have no problems with ladies knickers, much prefer them on my bedroom floor and not in my pipe though. Wink

Cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Major deghosting effort    Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:49 pm

I've had 4 pipes now that have been ghosted with Lakelands and two of'em are Meers.
Just horrible to try and get out. I had to ream to the wood in the briars and retort them to death.
The meers were something else, had to sand the chambers down till almost white and then scrub them with alcohol. All are finally clear of the nasty perfume taste except one meer that has just the faintest
taste of it left. That's the only draw back to estates, most the time ya just don't know what's been smoked in'em. Thankfully there's not that many Lakeland lovers around, not that there's anything wrong with a persons choice of tobacco, it's just when a Non-Lakeland lover gets there old pipe it's ghastly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Major deghosting effort    Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:17 am

Sounds like it would have been easier to buy a tin of Ennerdale to me!

Congratulations, anyways.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Major deghosting effort    Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:03 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
Sounds like it would have been easier to buy a tin of Ennerdale to me!

Congratulations, anyways.

Oh, your a real hoot!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/

Major deghosting effort
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: