HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Used bullet casings make great tampers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
RTasche

Registration date : 2015-04-27

PostSubject: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:24 pm

Just started using a 30-06 brass casing as a tamper and I like it--bullets and briar, it just works. Any carvers out there ever thought of using old bullet brass as a decorative shank band? There's just something hardy about the fusion of wood and metal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:01 am

I like 'em better when they are loaded ! Makes smoking an experience to savor !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:13 am

One of the dear brothers on here made some of us once fired brass tampers.

Mine is 30carbine and .308. I seldom use a tamper but when I do I use that one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:52 am

They really do work well as tampers. Perfect size, flame resistant, and just plain cool. I've even seen .50 cal shells adapted into lighters, but those are a little too wide as to double as tampers.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:10 pm

I'm fairly certain Eric nording has been known to do some work with spent cartridge casings. A .308 does a great job personally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:48 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:07 pm

monbla256 wrote:
I like 'em better when they are loaded ! Makes smoking an experience to savor !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

That'll definitely keep you from over tamping.... bom

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:18 pm

"Bullets & Briar." I like it. Sounds like the title of a magazine for pipe-smoking mercenaries or something. I have owned an ammo casing tamper for many years, though I only use it when wearing the hat that it resides in. And I only wear the hat when wanting to look and feel special, like meeting the president of this here united states or going to an upper-level executive job interview. Or a prostate exam. Whenever the occasion calls for it. Other times a Rodgers or simple Czech pipe tool suffices, but I can see the appeal of ammo casing.

" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:24 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
"Bullets & Briar." I like it. Sounds like the title of a magazine for pipe-smoking mercenaries or something. I have owned an ammo casing tamper for many years, though I only use it when wearing the hat that it resides in. And I only wear the hat when wanting to look and feel special, like meeting the president of this here united states or going to an upper-level executive job interview. Or a prostate exam. Whenever the occasion calls for it. Other times a Rodgers or simple Czech pipe tool suffices, but I can see the appeal of ammo casing." />

I love that Hat! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:43 pm

The vacuum tube makes it complete
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:45 pm

An excellent hat there, to be sure!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:06 pm

I have a few casings I kept to experiment with. I have been busy perfecting my current way of making tampers. But I plan on fusing some wood and casings soon!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Used bullet casings make great tampers
Page 1 of 1