HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Used bullet casings make great tampers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RTasche

Registration date : 2015-04-27

PostSubject: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:24 pm

Just started using a 30-06 brass casing as a tamper and I like it--bullets and briar, it just works. Any carvers out there ever thought of using old bullet brass as a decorative shank band? There's just something hardy about the fusion of wood and metal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:01 am

I like 'em better when they are loaded ! Makes smoking an experience to savor !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:13 am

One of the dear brothers on here made some of us once fired brass tampers.

Mine is 30carbine and .308. I seldom use a tamper but when I do I use that one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:52 am

They really do work well as tampers. Perfect size, flame resistant, and just plain cool. I've even seen .50 cal shells adapted into lighters, but those are a little too wide as to double as tampers.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:10 pm

I'm fairly certain Eric nording has been known to do some work with spent cartridge casings. A .308 does a great job personally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:48 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:07 pm

monbla256 wrote:
I like 'em better when they are loaded ! Makes smoking an experience to savor !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

That'll definitely keep you from over tamping.... bom

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:18 pm

"Bullets & Briar." I like it. Sounds like the title of a magazine for pipe-smoking mercenaries or something. I have owned an ammo casing tamper for many years, though I only use it when wearing the hat that it resides in. And I only wear the hat when wanting to look and feel special, like meeting the president of this here united states or going to an upper-level executive job interview. Or a prostate exam. Whenever the occasion calls for it. Other times a Rodgers or simple Czech pipe tool suffices, but I can see the appeal of ammo casing.

" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:24 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
"Bullets & Briar." I like it. Sounds like the title of a magazine for pipe-smoking mercenaries or something. I have owned an ammo casing tamper for many years, though I only use it when wearing the hat that it resides in. And I only wear the hat when wanting to look and feel special, like meeting the president of this here united states or going to an upper-level executive job interview. Or a prostate exam. Whenever the occasion calls for it. Other times a Rodgers or simple Czech pipe tool suffices, but I can see the appeal of ammo casing." />

I love that Hat! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:43 pm

The vacuum tube makes it complete
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:45 pm

An excellent hat there, to be sure!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Used bullet casings make great tampers    Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:06 pm

I have a few casings I kept to experiment with. I have been busy perfecting my current way of making tampers. But I plan on fusing some wood and casings soon!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Used bullet casings make great tampers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1