HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting??

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting?? Empty
PostSubject: Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting??   Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting?? EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 11:48 am

Hi all,

I recently acquired an estate pipe in great overall condition on fleabay. The seller had reamed and polished the pipe, so it needed very little cleanup (for once!).

Now here's the fun part - the bowl had a bit of tobacco smell left in it. I'm SURE I recognize it (possibly from my father's pipes when I was very young), but for the life of me I can't place the blend. The aroma is vaguely earthy - like dry garden soil - but with a round sort of nuttiness and a bit of old leather & whiskey. I had a strong visual image of a classic man's study - leather chairs, old books, good tipple on a sidebar, etc.

Florid, romantic description, I know, but I would be thrilled to find the tobacco blend that leaves a bowl smelling like this. There's got to be a long-held scent-memory behind this, so you psychology buffs should have fun with this one. Very Happy

Has anyone successfully pinpointed a baccy blend from the bowl smell? This may otherwise turn into quite a goose chase, though I'm sure Dad smoked a readily available drugstore blend....
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting??   Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting?? EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 12:06 pm

Har! Har!

Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting?? <a href= Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting?? Half10" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting??   Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting?? EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 1:46 pm

Thanks for that, Mr Burley! Razz

Perhaps I should have specified a "readily available Canadian drug store tobacco".

I had been of the opinion that my Dad used to smoke Amphora tobacco, but maybe the blend has changed since the 60's, as my pipes don't smell the same. Mine are sharper, more sour smelling after a bowl, not the warm round notes I'm searching for. Could just be the difference in old versus new cake?

The search goes on!
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting??   Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting?? EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 1:52 pm

Latakia's, aromatics and Lakelands are always very obvious to detect.

Burley's and Virginia's are a little more tough.

As far as identifying a specific blend, that's pure guesswork.. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting??   Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting?? EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 2:45 pm

ontariopiper wrote:
Thanks for that, Mr Burley!  Razz

Perhaps I should have specified a "readily available Canadian drug store tobacco".

I had been of the opinion that my Dad used to smoke Amphora tobacco, but maybe the blend has changed since the 60's, as my pipes don't smell the same. Mine are sharper, more sour smelling after a bowl, not the warm round notes I'm searching for. Could just be the difference in old versus new cake?

The search goes on!

When you smell one of your more currently smoked pipes you are smelling "fresh" cake as opposed to some thing that's been sitting for a decade or more ! I recently found two of my Edward's pipes in a box which I know had not been smoked since the late '80s and they did not smell anything like any in my currently smoked collection. And I was smoking basically the same blends/mixtures then as now. Time and non smoking seems to "mellow" things out and I agree with others, unless you have some way to show just what was smoked in those particular pipes "back when" you're looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack !! Just clean 'em out, load 'em up and smoke 'em !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting??   Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting?? EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 2:48 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Just clean 'em out, load 'em up and smoke 'em !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Yeah, I knew this post was a long shot in the dark cross-eyed and handcuffed. Very Happy If pipe tobacco in Ontario didn't cost a fortune ($27 for a pouch of Amphora), I might be more inclined to try an array of possibilities. I do not have that research budget, though. Maybe I can get a grant! Laughing
Back to top Go down
eklektos44

eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting??   Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting?? EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 2:56 pm

ontariopiper wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
Just clean 'em out, load 'em up and smoke 'em !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Yeah, I knew this post was a long shot in the dark cross-eyed and handcuffed. Very Happy  If pipe tobacco in Ontario didn't cost a fortune ($27 for a pouch of Amphora), I might be more inclined to try an array of possibilities. I do not have that research budget, though. Maybe I can get a grant! Laughing

Yikes! You have my sympathies. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting??   Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting?? EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 10:35 pm

Time does mellow out an old bowl, and honestly without knowing the previous person's brand/blend, at least you can narrow it down by eliminating the obvious clues, aromatic smell, Latakia, etc. Good luck and happy smoking on your quest!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting??   Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting?? EmptyMon May 04, 2015 3:53 am

I tended to find that really old cake in a bowl didn't vary that much in scent from one pipe to another, of course there were exceptions but they all seemed to share very strong similarities to the odours you have described. I have detected specifically sweet and tangy aromas and have concluded these were residual properties from folk who smoked heavy aromatics and of course there's the ever obvious Latakia stench which absolutely turns my stomach and then there's the wonderfully exotic cake aroma from the odd pipe here and there where the piper clearly smoked orientals (other than Latakia of course).

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Trying to ID the tobacco from the Ghosting??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: