HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

who are we really

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Sat May 16, 2015 9:13 am

Twaddle Ron, your tip on Paragon wax was at least one of your tips I've followed successfully. My pipes have never looked better, especially my blasts now I've a microfibre cloth impregnated with it. Give them a quick rub and the contrast comes up lovely.

Thanks mate.

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Sat May 16, 2015 10:10 am

Timbo wrote:
Twaddle Ron, your tip on Paragon wax was at least one of your tips I've followed successfully. My pipes have never looked better, especially my blasts now I've a microfibre cloth impregnated with it. Give them a quick rub and the contrast comes up lovely.

Thanks mate.

Tim

Well, I do throw in a little truth ever so often to keep everybody guessing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
WarlockBob

Registration date : 2012-09-30

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Sat May 16, 2015 10:20 am

With my schedule, I'm generally pretty busy, but when I can check in there are people whom I really care about, and think about their well-being extensively. I personally think it's an amazing feeling to see everyone's life progress through this forum, and it's a place that I certainly feel cares for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Sat May 16, 2015 11:11 am

Cartaphilus wrote:

Your advice on handmade pipe artisans led to me owning my best smoker. Also, some info I got from you helped me to work a serious souring issue with a new pipe I bought.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tslots

Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Sat May 16, 2015 12:21 pm

I think online communities like this are sort of a microcosm of life in a physical city.  There is a wide variety of experiences, occupation, economic level, religion, race, etc, but we are all somewhat bonded by at least one common interest.   I believe that for most people, their online persona generally represents how they are in "real" life.  

My interest in pipes has varied since I started smoking them 15 years ago and I've had mostly positive experiences with fellow pipers in this and other sites during that time.   I think BoB is a well run forum with lots of good people as mods and members.   I've tried to be a good citizen and treat others as I would want to be treated.   I don't know anyone here really well, but believe that most of us could get along with one another if we lived in the same neighborhood.   Some deep friendships might even develop (if they haven't already).

While the online world has an obvious level of detachment, I believe that we all have at least a base level of empathy for one another and a general sense of community here.    I know I do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Sat May 16, 2015 12:49 pm

Jevverrett wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

Your advice on handmade pipe artisans led to me owning my best smoker. Also, some info I got from you helped me to work a serious souring issue with a new pipe I bought.

Hey! Don't blame that on me I didn't twist your arm!
Back to top Go down
TMacphersonNH

Registration date : 2013-11-25

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Sat May 16, 2015 10:58 pm

When I was at the college there was a group that met at a restaurant that was a hole in the wall right on the water. We'd go down to study, smoke, jabber, and everyone would take turns cooking orders for each other or the random customer. I was always on call to make BLTs. No idea why. People would come and go as regulars but there was always a core group of 25-30. That community - which it was - was based on a spirit of comraderie, fellowship, and safety. And that's certainly the feeling I get here. People who create a community where we share at what level we are comfortable, feel secure we can ask silly or stupid questions (that would me over here), and know we are part of a real fellowship. I think that's a real rare commodity in today's world. When I was diagnosed and got bad news, I never hesitated to share with all of you. Not sure why....but it was that real sense of fellowship. Knowing I could share my thoughts, fears, and - yes Ron - feelings. I'm not sure what that makes us or defines who we are, but I know it's something I'm damn proud and happy to be part of and know it was a huge part in helping beat my cancer. So while I may never come close to the longest smoking title or other such nonsense, I know I've got some real friends here on BoB and I couldn't be more proud of that claim.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Sat May 16, 2015 11:21 pm

Tom, thanks for that post. You nailed it is far as I'm concerned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puffer Mark

Registration date : 2014-07-14

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Sun May 17, 2015 1:36 am

Brewdude wrote:
I came here initially for the information but stayed for the camaraderie. RR

Same here. But more than that, there is definitely a like-mindedness here that I have not found browsing other forums. Members' personalities certainly come through in their posts (Ron, you and Richard Burley come to mind here).

Gentlemen (and ladies) to a man (woman), in the truest sense of the word.

That said, there will be hell to pay if any of you find yourselves in Cape Town and don't drop me a PM or a mail so we can at least try to hook up for a bowl face to face.

My 2c
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Sun May 17, 2015 11:55 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
Jevverrett wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

No, you didn't. But you gave me solid advice and an informed opinion, so far as I know. Which on pipe care and cleaning you have more than enough. I don't know about warm fuzzy feelings, but I do respect the knowledge and opinions of some of the men here. And you are included in that list.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Sun May 17, 2015 12:57 pm

Jevverrett wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
Jevverrett wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

No, you didn't. But you gave me solid advice and an informed opinion, so far as I know. Which on pipe care and cleaning you have more than enough. I don't know about warm fuzzy feelings, but I do respect the knowledge and opinions of some of the men here. And you are included in that list.

That was a joke sir and, your welcome. Always eager to help when I can.
Besides I like hearing myself talk cause it puts me right out.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Sun May 17, 2015 1:42 pm

" ... I am what I am, said Popeye the Sailor Man" , just an old codger that consumes that evil weed in a wooden object I stick in my mouth. Nothing fancy or romantic, just an old smoker !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Sun May 17, 2015 3:14 pm

monbla256 wrote:
" ... I am what I am, said Popeye the Sailor Man" , just an old codger that consumes that evil weed in a wooden object I stick in my mouth. Nothing fancy or romantic, just an old smoker !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Michael, you mentioned Popeye. Is this your way of coming out of the closet and admitting that you smoke cobs as well? Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Sun May 17, 2015 4:07 pm

Dutch wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
Michael, you mentioned Popeye. Is this your way of coming out of the closet and admitting that you smoke cobs as well? Laughing

Damn!! I got caught !! But I ONLY smoke Charatan cobs !! cheers Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
"sam"

Registration date : 2012-09-07

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Thu May 21, 2015 3:52 pm

I'm more of a listener/reader than a contributor but I do enjoy this forum and the insights of the members who regularly post.  I also find it a bit entertaining seeing new members pop up, make dozens or hundreds of posts in a month or two, and then disappear never to return.  I try to contribute if I have something worthwhile to contribute, but virtually anything I have questions about or answers to has already been said/posted/written....so I listen and read.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
J Soshae

Registration date : 2011-08-19

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Thu May 21, 2015 5:24 pm

Fellow pipe smokers are so seldom seen in public. This is the place to remind myself that I am not alone. Every time I see a fellow piper, I always tell them about this place.

We do have a great thing going here. Even if it is just a hilarious stage show for us lurkers. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Thu May 21, 2015 5:47 pm

When I first found the forum, I was so curious about everything and read as much as I could about the topics on my mind. I didn't post a ton at first and for a few months I didn't get on the forum because I was so busy in my everyday life.

Now that I have rekindled my flame for pipes (pun intended), I have been drawn into the community of kind, generous, like-minded, and generous people. I have made a conscious effort to be more consistent in my time here and participating. With that being said, since being on here more, I have started to grow some friendships with people on the board. I do care when people are going through rough patches and I celebrate with them during the good times. Even if they are just acquaintances, I still feel a bond. Like when juanmedusa had his baby, I was so happy for him, and truly felt it (bombing him was just icing on the cake).

I feel as though I'm cared about as well. Case in point, when I just posted on the round table about getting a new fridge. It's not a super big deal but it was an accomplishment and another life-step for me. The brothers have posted support and congratulations. It's little things like that, the closeness of having shared thoughts, life events, feelings, rants, stresses, and sharing them.

I hope as I am on here more, that I get the chance to grow more friendships and hopefully, meet some of you in person one day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Thu May 21, 2015 7:02 pm

Juanmedusa had a baby?

The wonders of modern science.....................
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Thu May 21, 2015 7:36 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Juanmedusa had a baby?

Yes, I did. In fact, I'm still waiting for the wife to contribute something meaningful.

........said a complete moron. That clearly crosses into lunacy. And getting bombed in the manner I did wasn't so much icing on the cake as another small cake on top of my cake.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Thu May 21, 2015 8:27 pm

LOL to the two above!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Thu May 21, 2015 8:47 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
Ozark Wizard wrote:
Juanmedusa had a baby?

Yes, I did. In fact, I'm still waiting for the wife to contribute something meaningful.

........said a complete moron. That clearly crosses into lunacy. And getting bombed in the manner I did wasn't so much icing on the cake as another small cake on top of my cake.

I love cake, great band....

As far as your wife having something to contribute, we'll just let that comment be your little secret, yes?

Good luck to you and your family, for the rest of your unnatural life. Children are like having little pieces of you future running loose upon an unwary world.

LOL!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Sat May 23, 2015 9:30 pm

It's interesting to consdier what qualities make a poster seem like a friend. One, I think, is personality. For example, Cart's personality shines through his posts and, though he brings a polished cantankerousness, to his notes, he seems like he'd be enjoyable company in person. Others share this quality. I began messaging a poster in Ireland, then we began exchanging tobaco and pipes. Most recently he mailed me a hand carved tamper which he made himself fromm a beechwood tree in his yard. It's a beauty with truly marvelous detail. If not for him, I'd never have had the opportunity to learn to smoke and enjoy Condor. So, yes, some posters can strike up a cyber friedship with brothers they may never meet. It's a good question, isn't it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Sat May 23, 2015 10:30 pm

KevinM wrote:
It's interesting to consdier what qualities make a poster seem like a friend. One, I think, is personality. For example, Cart's personality shines through his posts and, though he brings a polished cantankerousness, to his notes, he seems like he'd be enjoyable company in person. Others share this quality. I began messaging a poster in Ireland, then we began exchanging tobaco and pipes. Most recently he mailed me a hand carved tamper which he made himself fromm a beechwood tree in his yard. It's a beauty with truly marvelous detail. If not for him, I'd never have had the opportunity to learn to smoke and enjoy Condor. So, yes, some posters can strike up a cyber friedship with brothers they may never meet. It's a good question, isn't it?

"Seems" is the key word here, actually I'm just as much of an AH as I seem to be.
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Sun May 24, 2015 12:31 am

Ron, you're just a big old softy and most of us know it!

As far as it goes for myself, I don't have many people I would consider friends. Most of the people I do know barely qualify for the time of day. However I have to say I have made friends with a few folks here and I don't bandy that word about lightly. These folks I would gladly go out of my way to try and help in anyway I could. Yes Ron you are one of them. My experience here has shown me that there are still decent people out there you just have to dig a bit to find them.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: who are we really   Sun May 24, 2015 7:56 am

huffelpuff wrote:
Ron, you're just a big old softy and most of us know it!

As far as it goes for myself, I don't have many people I would consider friends. Most of the people I do know barely qualify for the time of day. However I have to say I have made friends with a few folks here and I don't bandy that word about lightly. These folks I would gladly go out of my way to try and help in anyway I could. Yes Ron you are one of them. My experience here has shown me that there are still decent people out there you just have to dig a bit to find them.

Jim

Ya really know how to hurt a guy Jim. 5)
Back to top Go down

who are we really
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: