HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

My fifth pipe

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: My fifth pipe   Tue May 19, 2015 10:44 am

allyby wrote:
I love it Ron, a nice big bowl in that one would easily be a two hour smoke, I could just imagine a nice VA in it. cheers

Thank you Ally, your very kind sir
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
pepesdad1

Registration date : 2013-03-03

PostSubject: My fifth pipe   Tue May 19, 2015 6:52 pm

Nice billiard, Ron. I like it the way it is....without blasting it. Pits are cool, they have character...like you.
Fine job...would be proud to smoke that one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: My fifth pipe   Tue May 19, 2015 7:21 pm

pepesdad1 wrote:
Nice billiard, Ron.  I like it the way it is....without blasting it.  Pits are cool, they have character...like you.
Fine job...would be proud to smoke that one.

Yeah, I'm full of pits. Wink
Thank you Walt where you been?
Back to top Go down
MichaelM

Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: My fifth pipe   Tue May 19, 2015 8:46 pm

Nice work Ron. I really like that stem. Is acrylic more difficult to work than vulcanite? Looks pefectly shiny.
Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: My fifth pipe   Tue May 19, 2015 8:51 pm

MichaelM wrote:
Nice work Ron.  I really like that stem.  Is acrylic more difficult to work than vulcanite?  Looks pefectly shiny.
Mike.

Thank you Mike! Acrylic is a bit harder to hand cut while Vulcanite is a lot softer.
But, if ya ask me I like acrylic more for smoking just because I won't ever turn green on ya. And if ya use a softy as I do the hardness of acrylic won't matter anyhow. Wink
Back to top Go down
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: My fifth pipe   Wed May 20, 2015 10:49 am

I like it. Shaping looks good to me. Can't wait to see the final exterior. Oh, and I like that stem btw.

I'm not suggesting it. I'm just throwing it out there for discourse. With the accidental 1 inch chamber would it make sense to turn it into more of a pot to reduce the overall chamber size? Does 1 inch work for a pot? I only have a small older Grabow pot, I don't know what would seem an excessive chamber width for a pot. Pot guys wanna educate me? Monbla, you're a pot guy, tell me what's what.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: My fifth pipe   Wed May 20, 2015 11:01 am

juanmedusa wrote:
I like it. Shaping looks good to me. Can't wait to see the final exterior. Oh, and I like that stem btw.

I'm not suggesting it. I'm just throwing it out there for discourse. With the accidental 1 inch chamber would it make sense to turn it into more of a pot to reduce the overall chamber size? Does 1 inch work for a pot? I only have a small older Grabow pot, I don't know what would seem an excessive chamber width for a pot. Pot guys wanna educate me? Monbla, you're a pot guy, tell me what's what.

I've seen a lot of large chambered pipes in all shapes. I don't think it matters what shape it is.
The only mistake made by me was that I intended to drill a 7/8" chamber not a 1". The thickness
of the walls of the chamber are just fine, I just wanted a pipe with thicker walls for esthetic reasons.
Sorry if there was some confusion here. Wink
Back to top Go down
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: My fifth pipe   Wed May 20, 2015 11:04 am

juanmedusa wrote:

Wait, he's the pot guy?? Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: My fifth pipe   Wed May 20, 2015 11:25 am

eklektos44 wrote:
juanmedusa wrote:

I should have that through better! But, yes, I think. When I think of Monbla I think of a punto Oro pot but I might have mixed that up in my head.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: My fifth pipe   Wed May 20, 2015 11:30 am

Cartaphilus wrote:

I've  seen a lot of large chambered pipes in all shapes. I don't think it matters what shape it is.
The only mistake made by me was that I intended to drill a 7/8" chamber not a 1". The thickness
of the walls of the chamber are just fine, I just wanted a pipe with thicker walls for esthetic reasons.
Sorry if there was some confusion here.  Wink

I was looking at it like you ended up with too much chamber. Now I understand, thanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: My fifth pipe   Wed May 20, 2015 11:30 am

eklektos44 wrote:

I wouldn't put it past him to smoke just about anything in his pipes. Wink
Back to top Go down
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: My fifth pipe   Wed May 20, 2015 11:56 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
eklektos44 wrote:

I wouldn't put it past him to smoke just about anything in his pipes. Wink

I know he's mentioned how ghosting isn't a problem for him. Well, except maybe with Lakelands but I've never heard his stance on the Acapulco district!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: My fifth pipe   Wed May 20, 2015 1:55 pm

juanmedusa wrote:

After reading your query I measured ALL 36 Pots that I have and the AVERAGE ID of the bowl seems to be btwn 7/8" and 1 " . The only one that I have that's less is a grp 3 sized BBB Shell finished pot at 3/4". And most Pots I have are really square in cross-section of bowl width x height ratio.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: My fifth pipe   Wed May 20, 2015 2:16 pm

I really appreciate that thorough response. I can say with certainty that my collection would not be any help with a pot shape study. After your comment I question if my Dr. Grabow is a pot really or just has the appearance of one because of the thick walls. I believe it may be deeper than wide in the chamber so not so square. I'll have to check. I have an old, no name, cheaply made Italian pot with sub par engineering that is a beater pipe to me but that's it. So I wasn't joking when I asked, thanks.

Sorry to hijack your thread Ron. I will be keen to see the updated pics of the progress.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: My fifth pipe   Wed May 20, 2015 2:20 pm

monbla256 wrote:
juanmedusa wrote:

After reading your query I measured ALL 36 Pots that I have and the AVERAGE ID of the bowl seems to be btwn 7/8" and 1 " . The only one that I have that's less is a grp 3 sized BBB Shell finished pot at 3/4". And most Pots I have are really square in cross-section of bowl width x height ratio.
Michael, did you go ahead and purchase a quality set of calipers for assessing height to width bowl ratios? No need to spend $150 on a set of Mitutoyo's when your local Lowes has digitals with a lifetime guarantee for around $20. You could also precisely check the thickness of cake in your bowls, or thickness of your stems internally and externally, or a variety of other things you might come up with when you are contemplatively smoking a pipe. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: My fifth pipe   Wed May 20, 2015 2:56 pm

Dutch wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
juanmedusa wrote:

Michael, did you go ahead and purchase a quality set of calipers for assessing height to width bowl ratios? No need to spend $150 on a set of Mitutoyo's when your local Lowes has digitals with a lifetime guarantee for around $20. You could also precisely check the thickness of cake in your bowls, or thickness of your stems internally and externally, or a variety of other things you might come up with when you are contemplatively smoking a pipe. Wink

THAT'S WAAAAY to OCD !! I just used a metric dial caliper that I've had for years and accounted for around 1/16" of cake, Just ballpark numbers as anymore is really useless Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alandadp

Registration date : 2013-04-29

PostSubject: Re: My fifth pipe   Wed May 20, 2015 3:42 pm

I love that pipe Ron, it's got Condor Long Cut written all over it Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: My fifth pipe   Wed May 20, 2015 3:59 pm

alandadp wrote:
I love that pipe Ron, it's got Condor Long Cut written all over it Smile

Thank you Adam................I think? Wink
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: My fifth pipe   Wed May 20, 2015 10:38 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Dutch wrote:
monbla256 wrote:
juanmedusa wrote:

THAT'S WAAAAY to OCD !! I just used a metric dial caliper that I've had for years and accounted for around 1/16" of cake, Just ballpark numbers as anymore is really useless  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Yep, that's what I was going to say. Just ballpark figures are all you really need to know, as long as you keep everything within thirty thousandths you're good! Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: My fifth pipe   Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:03 pm

Okay, I decided that blasting the pipe would just not be affordable or justifiable seeing
that it's not good enough to sell to try to recoup the cost. So I just went ahead and stained
and waxed it so at least it won't look like an unfinished piece on my rack. And no I haven't
and won't smoke it, that's just a strange shadow in the tobacco chamber.

Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: My fifth pipe   Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:19 pm

Nice stubby pipe there.........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: My fifth pipe   Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:59 pm

Another good looking pipe IMO.