HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Pipe rim cleaning

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Pipe rim cleaning   Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:28 am

denholrl wrote:
Rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) is fatally toxic is you ingest too much of it.  I would not use it on my pipes.

RobD
Fortunately, it has a very high rate of evaporation, so you won't have it on the pipe for long. Most "rubbing alcohol" is ethyl based. I use isopropyl alcohol (91%).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Pipe rim cleaning   Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:08 am

I've used Simple Green cleanser in the past. I read it somewhere as a product to try for cleaning pipes. It worked pretty well.

EDIT: Wow, I already said that. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Pipe rim cleaning   Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:12 am

riff raff wrote:
denholrl wrote:
Rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) is fatally toxic is you ingest too much of it.  I would not use it on my pipes.

RobD
Fortunately, it has a very high rate of evaporation, so you won't have it on the pipe for long.  Most "rubbing alcohol" is ethyl based.  I use isopropyl alcohol (91%).

I agree, I use 99% ISO to do my monthly cleaning of the draft and stem and have been using it for as long as I've been smoking a pipe with NO affects in taste or health, even use it for the occasional retort of extra filthy estates. The higher percentage of ISO the less water hence a quicker evaporation rate. I would NOT use the regular Drugstore 71% ISO for cleaning pipes cause it's just too low in alcohol and too high in water content but, fine for rubbing or sterilizing wounds and such and wouldn't use anything lower then 90%. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Pipe rim cleaning   Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:17 am

juanmedusa wrote:
I've used Simple Green cleanser in the past. I read it somewhere as a product to try for cleaning pipes. It worked pretty well.

John, you better be careful with Simple Green, it'll take the finish off painted items as well as a pipe.
It's a degreaser and I use it for that purpose only unless I water it down but, never on a pipe sir.
That's just my opinion for what it's worth. Murphy's Oil is made for wood finishes and won't hurt your pipes if used as directed. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Pipe rim cleaning   Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:31 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
juanmedusa wrote:

John, you better be careful with Simple Green, it'll take the finish off painted items as well as a pipe.
It's a degreaser and I use it for that purpose only unless I water it down but, never on a pipe sir.
That's just my opinion for what it's worth. Murphy's Oil is made for wood finishes and won't hurt your pipes if used as directed. Wink

I normally do mix it with a bit of water. And I haven't had bad luck with it yet but I'm probably doing less pipes than many of you so take that for what it's worth. I'm open to try Murphy's next time I'm in the market for cleaning supplies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Pipe rim cleaning   Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:47 am

Bugsahearn wrote:
I'll have to try the coffee too. I still don't understand how veteran smokers light their pipe with getting a little burn on the rim. I see a lot of well smoked estate pipes where the rim is immaculate. What's the technique?

More trouble than it's worth, in my opinion. I like the crud on the rim, as long as it's my own crud, and not some previous owner's in the case of an estate. Looks cool to my depraved tastes. I sometimes will clean a pipe rim every time hell freezes over.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Simple Man

Registration date : 2011-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Pipe rim cleaning   Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:49 pm

Richard Burley wrote:
Bugsahearn wrote:
I'll have to try the coffee too. I still don't understand how veteran smokers light their pipe with getting a little burn on the rim. I see a lot of well smoked estate pipes where the rim is immaculate. What's the technique?

More trouble than it's worth, in my opinion. I like the crud on the rim, as long as it's my own crud, and not some previous owner's in the case of an estate. Looks cool to my depraved tastes. I sometimes will clean a pipe rim every time hell freezes over.

Me too, Richard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Pipe rim cleaning   Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:42 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:

Bugsy, this isn't about rim burn. It's about the deposits left on the rim from smoking.

I don't burn my rims while lighting. The residue must certainly be due to the deposits left with an often smoked pipe. At least that's my theory. It seems that all my most often smoked pipes have this condition more or less!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Pipe rim cleaning   Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:10 am

mgtarheel wrote:
Read an article somewhere in the last six months that black coffee was good for cleaning rims.  For what its worth Very Happy

Would that be with or without sugar?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Pipe rim cleaning
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2