HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Dark Star

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

Dark Star Empty
PostSubject: Dark Star   Dark Star EmptySat May 23, 2015 4:58 pm

Got my latest tinned goods today. Heard a lot about McClellands Dark Star, so got 100g....

Yup, like jerky. Maybe kippered beef. Pretty dense, flexible, dark and sweet smelling.....

Put aside a couple of flakes for a couple of hours. Went back, decided to take the shears to it and cube cut it.... Another couple of hours wait, and put it in the pipe.

I could see it, waaaaay down in the bowl... I thought, maybe I need to shim it up a bit, you know, put a bed of something else under it so the flame can reach. So, dumped it into another bowl, but put it on a bed of John Patton's Crossroads blend. That brought the weed level with the rim....

Yup, pretty yummy stuff. Yup, smoked and smoked and smoked and never got done with the bowl before the hour was up...

I like this, but need to give it a chance on it's own, so more is drying on the rack, perhaps tomorrow, rather than the BCF I usually end my day with....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

Dark Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Star   Dark Star EmptySat May 23, 2015 5:42 pm

Once I got my prep methods down, Dark Star quickly became one of my favorite Virginia smokes..
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Dark Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Star   Dark Star EmptySat May 23, 2015 6:18 pm

Thanks for your review, Wiz'.

I've read it's extremely hard to manage but, once you get a grip on it, it's a really really good stoved VA.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

Dark Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Star   Dark Star EmptySat May 23, 2015 6:57 pm

DS is definitely one of the ketchup boys BEST 'baccys !! It does take a bit more work than most other flake style 'baccy to prepare for the bowl and a bit of work to get going, but when it all comes together one is treated to one of if not the FINEST straight Va blend/mixtures on the market today. Another in the same vien albeit with less work is Blackwoods Flake. Of their tinned flake  Va's I feel these two are probably some of the BEST you'll find ANYWHERE !! And if you think you smell ketchup so be it, but what your smelling is pure fermented Virginia tobacco especially those that are flue cured. I smelled this aroma when we would pull the 'baccy from the tobacco barns to bale to take to the auction in Durham at my uncles farm in NC when I worked on it in the summers when I was younger. Just pure Va aroma!!  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

Dark Star Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dark Star   Dark Star EmptySat May 23, 2015 7:47 pm

Three "P's" to keep in mind.....

Planning. Pull it when you aren't anxious to smoke it.......

Patience. Wait until it's almost crispy around the edges....

Perseverance. It's best slooooooowwwwwwlllllllyyyyy sipped. Awesome that way. Good for practicing lighting your pipe. Therefor, keep ample fire producing accoutrements at hand. Think of it like a Japanese tea ceremony rather than popping open a Snapple and chugging. Or a nice small cup of espresso rather than pounding a McCafe from the drive thru.....

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Dark Star
Page 1 of 1