HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Lacewood for bowls?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Lacewood for bowls?   Mon May 25, 2015 7:06 pm

I hit up my local woodcraft store and I wasn't supper impressed by their briar selection (they said they were low). So I was looking at other options: Cherry, maple, and I can across Lacewood. It has such a wicked cool grain! I tried to do some internet searches to see if people have used it to make pipes before. I have seen a couple of shank extenders made out of it but I haven't found a bowl.

Does anyone know if Lacewood is safe to use for tobacco pipes? I would love to carve one out of this if it is safe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Lacewood for bowls?   Mon May 25, 2015 7:28 pm

Safe for whom--maker or smoker? There appears to be some dispute, if you read the commentary following this article.

http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/lacewood/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Lacewood for bowls?   Tue May 26, 2015 7:42 pm

I believe Lacewood(s) tend to be to porous in between grains to prove do be a very good material for burning tobacco. Not only because the oils and moisture can easily pass into the softer rings, but it could potentially burn a bit along with a hot coal. Wood smoke sucks. I agree the character of the wood itself is pretty though.

I wonder if you could not line it with Meerschaum or even pewter, then you would have no issue.....

Most of my pipes I have made, the bulk being black walnut, persimmon and pecan. So far, I have only lost a couple to cracking, and that was because I left them in the rain overnight..... I have thought of lining a couple of burl woods with pewter, just to see what happens..........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Lacewood for bowls?   Tue May 26, 2015 11:46 pm

Kaitlyn, in years past, I have had several custom hunting bows made for me, all from exotic hardwoods such as Cocobolo, Bubinga, Bocote, Bloodwood, Tulipwood, as well as domestic woods such as Osage, Black Walnut, and even Bamboo used for backings.

One of the bowyers I commissioned to make one of my bows, told me he was extremely allergic to some of the exotic hardwoods, and needed to wear gloves and a respirator, especially during the cutting processes.

Once a bow is finished it is sealed, and usually causes no further problems when being handled or used. A pipe however, as you can imagine, could be a completely different story.

The burning process could emit gasses that could be potentially lethal. I'm not for certain, but I would definitely research the issue just to make sure a potential wood has the ability to provide a safe smoking experience.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Lacewood for bowls?   Wed May 27, 2015 12:47 am

Just google something like toxicity of wood species, etc. I've seen articles and lists on this online before.

It's a very valid concern. Thanks for asking.

ETC., ETC., ETC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

PostSubject: Re: Lacewood for bowls?   Wed May 27, 2015 1:52 pm

Thanks for the info guys! I might try to figure out something else to make with it, just to be safe. It feels quite dense! Perhaps I could make some nifty tampers to sell in my store!

I do know that Lacewood can refer to many different wood species (as said in the article above too), and I wish I knew if the is Lacewood or a subspecies. Unfortunately, the woodcraft store just has "Lacewood" on the sticker and I'm not up enough on my wood species to know any different LOL.

Thanks again fellas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Lacewood for bowls?   Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:39 am

I saw a lacewood humidor once. It was pretty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Lacewood for bowls?   Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:47 am

Likely veneer (or really expensive) and almost definitely Spanish Cedar panels on the inside.

I'll bet it looked great.

(This is weird...why am I getting this mental picture of a tree limb with a lace garter on it? You know...Lacewood?  Someone help me!)

ETC., ETC., ETC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tslots

Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Lacewood for bowls?   Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:03 am

Items made from Lacewood sure can be quite stunning.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Lacewood for bowls?   Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:16 am

Um...OMG!

ETC., ETC., ETC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

PostSubject: Re: Lacewood for bowls?   Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:08 pm

That is gorgeous! I can't wait to make something pretty from this!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Lacewood for bowls?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: