HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Dent steaming

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Dent steaming    Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:23 am

Hi guys, I did a search for steam and dent on here and didn't see anything pertinent.

I dropped one of my Pete system pipes onto concrete and put a few dents in it. How does one go about steaming them out or is there any other preffered method you guys follow?

Thanks

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Dent steaming    Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:29 am

I've not used this technique, but I hear the skilled restorers use a heated butter knife and a wet towel to pull the wood fibers back up.

Here's a link to the reborn pipes blog, where you can find some detailed info on how to reverse such damage.

http://rebornpipes.com/2012/08/17/using-steam-to-lift-dents-in-briar/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timbo

PostSubject: Re: Dent steaming    Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:58 am

Thanks Dutch, will give the butter knife technique a try over the weekend and report back.

Cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Dent steaming    Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:56 am

If your pipe has any sort of clear finsih on it, it'll have to be removed first before steaming otherwise it may not work well and it may turn the finish white or cloudy. Myself I have a small hotplate I use and wrap the pipe bowl in a very damp towel and roll it back and forth over the dented area on the hotplate, it works well for me. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Dent steaming    Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:54 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
If your pipe has any sort of clear finsih on it, it'll have to be removed first before steaming otherwise it may not work well and it may turn the finish white or cloudy. Myself I have a small hotplate I use and wrap the pipe bowl in a very damp towel and roll it back and forth over the dented area on the hotplate, it works well for me. Wink

That's a nice little tip Ron.Thanks I'm going to give it a try later this afternoon on an old basket pipe that someone gave me. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Dent steaming    Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:07 pm

ajn27511 wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

That's a nice little tip Ron.Thanks I'm going to give it a try later this afternoon on an old basket pipe that someone gave me. Smile

AJ

AJ, Be cautious not to let it come in contact with the hot plate to long, you can scorch it. That's why I roll it side to side and check it about every 15 seconds or less. It'll make a sizzling sound from the water on the cloth but, when it stops sizzling beware the towel may scorch and the pipe as well. So be careful, I don't want anyone to ruin a pipe using my method. I'm use to it and have done it numerous times without
problem, that doesn't mean someone that has never done this before won't.

Back to top Go down
SPUD 15

Registration date : 2011-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Dent steaming    Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:13 pm

I use a steam iron without water and a damp rag. MIKE
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timbo

PostSubject: Re: Dent steaming    Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:52 am

Success, thanks all for the hints. I wrapped the pipe bowl in an old moist cloth and used my stove hot plate. After about fifteen seconds of moving it about, the dents on the bottom came out and another fifteen saw the ones on the front removed.

A quick wax and polish and it looks almost new.

Thanks again

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Dent steaming    Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:07 am

Timbo wrote:
Success, thanks all for the hints. I wrapped the pipe bowl in an old moist cloth and used my stove hot plate. After about fifteen seconds of moving it about, the dents on the bottom came out and another fifteen saw the ones on the front removed.

A quick wax and polish and it looks almost new.

Thanks again

Tim

Glad it worked without a problem for ya Tim. Wink
Back to top Go down

Dent steaming
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: