HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate Empty
PostSubject: Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate   Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 4:20 pm

Hi folks. Here's my latest little project - A Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate refurb!

A pic from the ebay listing - I think the seller took these with an eye to reducing the cosmetic horror show that was the pipe stem.

Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate Brigha10

The poor thing had been neglected for quite some time. When it arrived, the bowl and stem were gritty and greasy with gunk, dirt and oxidation. I forgot to take a "before" shot of the stummel, but here's the stem as it was unboxed.

Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate 20150611

Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate 20150612

As seems almost required for an estate Brigham, the old rock maple filter was left in place (sigh). Took a bit of tugging to get it out!

Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate 20150613

I dropped the stummel into an alcohol bath, the stem into an Oxyclean bath and left them both to soak while I ran some errands. A few hours later, I came home and scrubbed down both halves of the pipe. I didn't take pictures while I scrubbed down the stummel and stem. Needless to say the respective baths did the trick! The stummel was in great shape under all the muck. The stem took scrubbing with 0000 steel wool, then 400-2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper to get the oxidation off. Here's the pipe, cleaned but not finished.

Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate 20150614

The alcohol bath removed the old finish, so I applied a 2-color stain. First a black Fieblings Leather Dye, which I sanded off until it remained only in the grain of the briar. Then I made a wash of about a 4:1 ratio using Fieblings dark brown dye. I applied several coats of the wash until I got the depth of color I was after.

Then it was off to the buffer for a run of Red Tripoli followed by White Diamond and several coats of Carnauba wax. The finished pipe is ready to enjoy pride of place in my pipe rack and many more years of happy smoking!

Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate 20150616

Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate 20150617

Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate 20150618

Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate 20150619
Back to top Go down
http://www.dadspipes.com
RobJ

RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate   Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 4:29 pm

Ahhh so that's why your new Brigham looks so good in your PAD post. It cleaned up nicely, very well done indeed!

Back to top Go down
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate   Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 4:57 pm

RobJ wrote:
Ahhh so that's why your new Brigham looks so good in your PAD post. It cleaned up nicely, very well done indeed!

Mea culpa! Very Happy

And thanks! This estate refurb hobby is somewhat addictive. Like making a silk purse from a sow's ear rvery time! The fact that this one's a Brigham makes it all the better in my book. Smile
Back to top Go down
eklektos44

eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate   Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 8:32 pm

Great Job!
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate   Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 8:40 pm

Sweet! Looks like you have this well in hand bro!

Cool

Cheers,

RR

Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate Purple11x 3Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate Bombx10Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate Bombx10  Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate D6bddf10 Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate Cowboy13Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate   Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 8:43 pm

Thanks for the positive feedback, gents! I'm quite enjoying getting my hands dirty refurbing estate finds. Glad to know I seem to be on the right track!

Of course, my wife would prefer the flow of pipes in the opposite direction, preferably at a profit! I keep telling her that I need MORE pipes so I can practice..... Very Happy Laughing Wink
Back to top Go down
juanmedusa

juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate   Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 3:09 pm

Love that shape, btw. Good work,I like it.
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate   Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 5:07 pm

Looks like a brand new pipe !! Good job! Now load 'er up with a good McC's Red Va and smoke it !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
RobJ

RobJ

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate   Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 7:05 pm

Nahhh you need a tin of one of Mr. B's finest to do it up right.

cheers
Back to top Go down
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate   Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 9:30 am

I christened it with a bowl of Amphora Full Aroma (my Dad's fav) but the Brig seems to like Scottish Mixture better Laughing
Back to top Go down
RobJ

RobJ

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate   Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 9:50 am

Yep you gotta go with what the pipe likes best if the relationship is to be a satisfying one. Personally I'd go with the Scottish Mixture too.

Smile
Back to top Go down
ontariopiper

ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate   Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate EmptyThu Jun 18, 2015 9:55 am

RobJ wrote:
Yep you gotta go with what the pipe likes best if the relationship is to be a satisfying one. Personally I'd go with the Scottish Mixture too.

Smile

I'm finding than most of my larger-bowled pipes enjoy the Scottish Mixture. It seems to burn a bit hot for me in the smaller pipes. Just finished a lovely bowl in a 60's Brigham 298 Poker. Smile
Back to top Go down

Refurbishing a Brigham 4-Dot Bent Estate
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: