HomeHome  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

First pipe for a customer

Go down 
AuthorMessage
mejoshee

mejoshee

Registration date : 2013-05-31

First pipe for a customer Empty
PostSubject: First pipe for a customer   First pipe for a customer EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 2:57 pm

I was recently commissioned to make a pipe for a guy from Spain (via Germany). He was here for some 6 odd weeks for work and got to chatting about all the sorts of things pipe smokers do. I showed him some in-progress work and he immediately asked for a pipe. "His" shape is a bit of a gray-area: tall pot, straight walled, saddle stem. Not entirely "right" compared to the traditional slightly canted, slightly rounded billiard family, but it was nice to try it out.

I was definitely trepidatious--not a huge undertaking per se, but a challenge that had not been presented me thus far as a newbie. I've had some practice on other blocks and stems but have not made many yet that I would deem worthy of selling outright. Nevertheless, I rolled up my sleeves and got to work with his request. I added a shank accent of cocobolo and contrast stained it with light brown dye. I thought I'd humbly submit it here for your perusal.

First pipe for a customer 2015-061

First pipe for a customer 2015-062

First pipe for a customer 2015-063

First pipe for a customer 2015-066

First pipe for a customer 2015-065

I learned a lot on this project--how to hand cut a stem, in particular. There's still more I need to work on, but he's happy nonetheless.

Some notes on the pics in anticipation of comments:

• Yes, I'm aware the color is off on the 1st pic; not sure why. It's actually consistent with the hue of the other pics in real life.
  • Also, it does appear that at least from one or another angle, the pipe has dings, but I think that's all in the light; it's entirely smooth and scratch-free.
  • The smudges on the stem are not scratches, but from handling prior to photos. I'll take better quality pics in my light box when I get the chance.
  • And yes, I seem to have a slightly off stem-to-shank junction. Admittedly, I'm not happy with this part. If you noticed it, good for you. If not, I beg your forgiveness.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: First pipe for a customer   First pipe for a customer EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 3:58 pm

Turned out pretty darn good Josh. Kudos on your achievement!

Cool

Cheers,

RR

First pipe for a customer Purple11x 2First pipe for a customer Bombx10  First pipe for a customer Bombx7First pipe for a customer D6bddf10 First pipe for a customer 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: First pipe for a customer   First pipe for a customer EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 5:04 pm

No need to be humble about this creation Josh; it looks like a cracking piece of workmanship. Apart from the overall quality, the shape really appeals to me. Great work mate!
Back to top Go down
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: First pipe for a customer   First pipe for a customer EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 10:26 pm

Fine looking piece. You done good son.

Jim
Back to top Go down
eklektos44

eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: First pipe for a customer   First pipe for a customer EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 10:29 pm

Excellent. Classic shape and sweet grain. Great Job! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: First pipe for a customer   First pipe for a customer EmptyMon Jun 08, 2015 11:10 pm

Wow, very nice looking pipe Josh. That's some excellent grain too.
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: First pipe for a customer   First pipe for a customer EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 3:50 am

Impressive! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Hiram-2011

Hiram-2011

Registration date : 2012-03-23

PostSubject: Re: First pipe for a customer   First pipe for a customer EmptyTue Jun 09, 2015 10:03 am

Nice work Josh, it's a good looking pipe.
Back to top Go down
pipetrepid

pipetrepid

Registration date : 2015-06-23

PostSubject: Re: First pipe for a customer   First pipe for a customer EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 10:21 am

that`s really a beauty! bill
Back to top Go down
DGErwin11

DGErwin11

Registration date : 2012-05-20

PostSubject: Re: First pipe for a customer   First pipe for a customer EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 10:41 am

Your first sale is as sweet as your first kiss. I think many of us have the feeling "Why would anyone buy a pipe from me? There are so many better carvers out there." when we first start. But once you sell one, the doubts start receding.
Back to top Go down
http://DGEHandmadePipes.com
Fumus

Fumus

Registration date : 2014-11-24

PostSubject: Re: First pipe for a customer   First pipe for a customer EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 3:48 am

That is a dandy Josh! very impressive and darn nice grain too cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: First pipe for a customer   First pipe for a customer EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 11:06 am

Looks fine and rack-worthy to me, in all respects. Love how the shank accent is understated. Needs a cool-looking maker's stamp.
Back to top Go down
tslots

tslots

Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: First pipe for a customer   First pipe for a customer EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 2:50 pm

Looks like a fine effort to me. Plus the only thing that really matters in a sale is the buyers opinion. If they are happy then you should be as well.
Back to top Go down
AJ

AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: First pipe for a customer   First pipe for a customer EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 7:32 pm

Looks good to me Josh. If your customer likes it then dance all the way to the bank. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
juanmedusa

juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: First pipe for a customer   First pipe for a customer EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 1:08 pm

I'm impressed.
Back to top Go down
RobJ

RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: First pipe for a customer   First pipe for a customer EmptyTue Jul 07, 2015 9:46 am

I really like it Josh, very well done sir!

Mr. B is right, it does need some sort of fancy Maker's stamp.

Back to top Go down
Georgiastonewall

Georgiastonewall

Registration date : 2015-06-20

PostSubject: outstanding!   First pipe for a customer EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 9:32 am

That is really outstanding I tip my hat to you sir!
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: First pipe for a customer   First pipe for a customer EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 10:54 pm

Sweet pipe there!
Back to top Go down

First pipe for a customer
Page 1 of 1