HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Smooth Canadian

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
mejoshee

Registration date : 2013-05-31

PostSubject: Smooth Canadian   Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:51 pm

Stay tuned...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:06 pm

Someone should give PeterD a heads up!

Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:42 pm

Canadian? Looks more like Virginia to me!

Hope it comes out great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:34 pm

Nice!

Good luck with that one. Love those Canucks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:27 pm

I love step-by-step pics. Looking forward to the progress on this one.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
mejoshee

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:37 pm

Brewdude wrote:
I love step-by-step pics. Looking forward to the progress on this one.

Cheers,

RR
Me too! It was requested, so I thought I'd make a teaser.

I'm only a little farther ahead for reasons I'll explain in later photos. It's always a learning process; no hurdles per se, but some thought is required at every step right now for me as I train to make certain decisions by "muscle memory".

Time being what it is for me, I can't give a definite timeline for the completion of this latest project, but I at least got going and made progress last night. I have more time tonight to get to the sanding part in short order. But, as you may already know, almost half the time spent is on the stem, especially on pipes that are "straightforward" in their shaping. Fortunately I'm under no compunction to finish at a set deadline. Razz

I'll be sure to post more on this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:24 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
Canadian? Looks more like Virginia to me!

Lol! Laughing I thought the same thing.

The Canadian is definitely my favorite shape, too. I look forward to seeing it as it comes along. cheers

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:13 pm

Looks like some pretty nice grain hiding in there. Can't wait to see more on this one.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mejoshee

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:00 pm

huffelpuff wrote:
Looks like some pretty nice grain hiding in there. Can't wait to see more on this one.

Jim
Today's your lucky day!

Before I update though, I wanted to point out that I started this block and all the others from my Mimmo briar order by sanding all the faces on my 12" disc sander. It makes reading a block much quicker than how it comes with the really rough saw kerf or oxidation. Here's an example from earlier this year prior to doing the whole batch:

That one will make a nice calabash one day.... Ok, now continued. Here's the Canadian block waiting to be sawn:

You can see great birdseye on the shank & back (or is it front?) of the bowl! Twisted Evil

Now to the lathe. After drilling the airway & mortise (not shown) and a bit of turning on the shank:

Note the tenon side is already sized to receive a 1/2" diameter shank accent. I haven't made that yet as it would require swapping the chuck to the 3-jaws, so I'll do as much as can with the 2-jaws now. Since the shank will be oblong, I still have to manually shape it later. No point in trying to take off that much material.

After even more turning of the shank and sanding down a bit, let's see how the grain is doing:

Not bad. Spritz some water on it, a la Jeff Gracik (I keep a squeeze bottle on the bench for this purpose):

Nice grain! What a Face cheers

At this point, a shorter shanked pipe would get rotated in the chuck to drill the tobacco chamber. However, the problem with a smaller lathe like this Grizzly is that you can't swing a large piece (8 3/4" is the spec). Which means, from center, you could really only do 4 3/8" max. This pipe exceeds 5", so it's off to the drill press in the next episode!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:21 pm

Good stuff Josh. Really enjoying the creation of this and the production notes.

Sure looks like you've got this well in hand.

drunken

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:43 pm

Love this! Will be following along.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:32 am

Yes, loving this thread too Josh. Looking forward to the next update...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:33 pm

Now that's some impressive looking grain on that shank. Loving this thread!

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:40 pm

Very cool Josh. I had no idea you were this deep into pipe making.

Cheers, buddy. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:55 am

Coming along very nicely I see Josh, goodness I am so envious of your lathe, looking forward to seeing further progress. sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mejoshee

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:03 pm

Briar Spirit wrote:
Coming along very nicely I see Josh, goodness I am so envious of your lathe, looking forward to seeing further progress. sunny
The lathe is just ok. The big deal is the 2-jaw chuck with Rudat jaws! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mejoshee

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:33 pm

A further update with more drilling. As I said, the issue with a long shank is going to be what to do when it comes time to drill the tobacco chamber. You need to make sure you drill them to meet not just vertically but also horizontally, which means you need to know where you were on-center. This is where the Rudat jaws are really helpful: You rotate the pipe in the chuck, but using the same locating pins, you get it almost exactly back to the same plane. (I say almost because the chucked item is wood and anytime you rechuck wood, it compresses a little differently in the chuck depending on how flat the faces are where they touch the jaws.)

Here is where I switched to the drill press. I lined it up in the cross-slide vise and went at it with a 7/8" silver & deming bit:

Next, I checked whether or not I hit the airway by putting a pipe cleaner in and stopping when I hit it. The drilling changes sound when the airway is found.

Double check we're clear (it is!) with a flashlight:

It's good, so I check again after I take it out of the vise:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mejoshee

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:48 pm

Short post on the shank accent. I was given a piece of osage orange, so I'm using that.

First I had to cut a small chunk and turn a disc, then drill it out and part it off. I didn't show all those steps but it takes about 10 minutes.

Test for fitment:

Good, now I'll apply 5 minute epoxy, then chuck the pipe back in the 2-jaw chuck and face the shank end and move on to the stem...next time!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:22 pm

Damn Sam, you nailed that draft hole alignment 100%. What a great insight about using a pipe cleaner and listening for the drill sound to know when to stop.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:24 pm

Outstanding updates. That accent wood is a tree I really like but I'm not sure I've ever seen it in a pipe or furniture. I look forward to see how that comes out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:36 pm

This has been a VERY NICELY done visual explanation of your pipe making process and I'd like to just say THANK YOU !! Looking forward to seeing how it all comes out !! Keep up the obvious good work !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:08 pm

Josh, thanks for sharing the pics of your pipe making process. That Bodock will over time turn a honey brown color, adding a lot of character to the pipe. I am anxious to see how this one turns out! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mejoshee

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:43 pm

More updates today! I had last left off with a bit of a chunky pipe and no stem to speak of. Let's get to it!

A bit of rounding with a rasp on the corners of the pipe:

Sneaking a peek at the promising grain:

Don't worry about the big dent--it's going to get sanded away soon. Then I'll go to the disc, starting at either 40 or 60 grit. The number isn't too important, but the rougher it is, the deeper the gouges and the fast the removal of material  Twisted Evil I didn't show this part "live" cause it's hard to hold a pipe in 2 hands and take a picture.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mejoshee

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:04 pm

Ok, setting the stummel aside for a bit, I'll get the stem started. It's going to be cumberland, with a delrin tenon. Chucking up a piece of 22mm rod stock, I part it to length (I know, a little backwards). Mostly I don't want the stem too long.

Next thing is to face that cut side to prep for the tenon. I first use a regular turning tool (not shown) to make it square, then this custom ground shear bit. It makes only right-to-left cuts as it's angled, but it can make a lot smoother surface when at a lower speed without machining marks. I set it to be perpendicular to the end and move it from back to front towards me. Unfortunately, it's not perfect as it has too much of a facet on the front, but it did the prep job enough.

I drill the 5/16" mortise for the stem side of the tenon first then follow that with the airway @ 5/32" tapered, stopping about 1/2" from the button end of the stem.

Incidentally, you know it's good vulcanite/ebonite/cumberland if it smells like rotten eggs! After that, I polish the face with some white diamond and a rag @ 1000RPM on the lathe. Ooooo shiny!  Cool

Flip the stem over and drill all the rest of the way through from the button side with a <1/8" bit. I didn't photo this part, but you'll see it later when i show cutting the button.

Next we cut a short piece of delrin and drill it through at the same diameter as the airway (5/32"). I countersink the end that will go into the stem mortise. I prep a bead of 5 minute epoxy on a piece of paper. Don't forget to scuff the ends of the delrin or it won't stick. But also, don't over-scuff cause the rest will be the part you can see when you pull out the stem. (I ended up redoing it last night because I didn't like how it was looking.)

Press it in a vise of some sort to let it get snug. Now you wait for the "magic minute" where it is still pliable, but not sticky. Peel off the squeeze out and clean it up.

Finally, chuck the stem back up and cut the tenon to length, then countersink. It's time to check fit:

No gaps! Looks good to me! If you've done a good job cleaning the epoxy off the tenon, there should be no need to countersink the shank face, but sometimes you do. I didn't show it, but that's a little detail you'll notice on some integral tenons (e.g. Dunhill) that still have the fillet in the stem/tenon corner.

Time to unchuck it. Here's the airway view all the way through.

Think it'll pass a cleaner? You bet! Here's the parting shot with the handsewn bag destined for this pipe:

Now we can get back to sanding! Details next time!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Smooth Canadian   Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:29 pm

Following this post has been a great treat for me. I can hardly wait to see the final product. bounce bounce cheers

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Smooth Canadian
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next