HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

First Time with MacBarens Mixture Scottish Blend

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: First Time with MacBarens Mixture Scottish Blend   Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:09 pm

Bought this one based on online reviews and its reputation as one of the best selling pipe tobaccos in the world. Fired up a bowl this morning, and thoroughly enjoyed myself! Very Happy

I was smoking a 90's Canadian-made Brigham 2-dot billiard, and experienced none of the dreaded tongue-bite MacBaren is famous for. Dumb luck? The Brigham rock maple filter? Who knows, and I'm not gonna argue!

The tobacco came out of the tin at just about the right moisture content, and packed easily into the Brig. Burned well for me, though I found it needed a bit of attention along the way. I was rather eager to get the pipe going though, so I'm sure it wasn't the perfect pack to begin with. Embarassed

I found the opening quarter of the bowl a bit on the "black pepper" side of things, but the flavours kind of "opened up" as I got further into the bowl. I'm not sure of the accuracy of my palate or my ability to describe smoke flavours, but it struck me overall as a well-balanced woodsy, leathery, great-with-a-good-whiskey, with a touch of peppery spice blend that left no objectionable feelings, only a light, clean tobacco aftertaste and classic pipe satisfaction.

Very glad I pulled the trigger on this one!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: First Time with MacBarens Mixture Scottish Blend   Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:02 pm

Good to read your impressions. I used to smoke this often in the late '70s into the '80s and always enjoyed it, I suppose I should order some now.

I've smoked many Mac B blends over the years and frankly never had the tongue-bite experience one is always reading about. Personally I think it's mostly due to the blend being too damp or improper packing and/or smoking habits, but maybe I'm just lucky.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: First Time with MacBarens Mixture Scottish Blend   Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:52 pm

I have played with a couple of Mac Baren's stuffs, and have not to date experienced the dreaded 'bite'. That Scottish mixture sounds like fun though,.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: First Time with MacBarens Mixture Scottish Blend   Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:02 pm

While I'm not an aro guy at all, somehow this appeals to me. Might have to check it out!

WTH, nothing ventured they say!

rabbit

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: First Time with MacBarens Mixture Scottish Blend   Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:20 pm

So far from Plumcake, Mixture Modern to Mixture Scottish, I have enjoyed every Mac Baren classic that I have tried. Each of them are a solid representation of tobaccos with a good balance between natural flavor and light aromatic qualities. Pleasant room notes abound, wife approved..
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: First Time with MacBarens Mixture Scottish Blend   Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:29 pm

Scottish Blend is one of the few aromatics that I smoke. Love the bit of sweetness it leaves on my lips. Good tobacco!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: First Time with MacBarens Mixture Scottish Blend   Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:42 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
So far from Plumcake, Mixture Modern to Mixture Scottish, I have enjoyed every Mac Baren classic that I have tried. Each of them are a solid representation of tobaccos with a good balance between natural flavor and light aromatic qualities. Pleasant room notes abound, wife approved..

WOAH! Dude, nice new Avatar!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: First Time with MacBarens Mixture Scottish Blend   Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:43 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:

WOAH! Dude, nice new Avatar!!

Ha, ha.. Thanks Ozzy. I figured it was time for a change.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: First Time with MacBarens Mixture Scottish Blend   Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:23 am

Thanks for the review. I may have to give this one a try. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: First Time with MacBarens Mixture Scottish Blend   Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:56 am

One of my old time favorites. Should probably revisit it. Ed Burak, of Connoisseur Pipe fame in New York had a house blend that was very similar, if not identical. He used to include it as a freebie with every pipe purchased. The blend, in my opinion, is a seductive one if you can tolerate any aromatic qualities at all. Smells and tastes damn good.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: First Time with MacBarens Mixture Scottish Blend   Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:49 am

I was a believer in MacBurns ability to bite early on but now I think it comes down to technique and trying to get more out of the tobacco then is there. Now I think generally MacBarens can be smoked with or without bite. It's up to you. Love your write up. Never tried this one. Enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: First Time with MacBarens Mixture Scottish Blend   Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:16 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
I was a believer in MacBurns ability to bite early on but now I think it comes down to technique and trying to get more out of the tobacco then is there.  Now I think generally MacBarens can be smoked with or without bite. It's up to you.  Love your write up. Never tried this one. Enjoy it.

Thanks for the kind words, juanmedusa. I was a bit nervous buying the Scottish Mixture, as I had no real idea of what to expect when I opened the tin. But nothing ventured, nothing gained, and I'm glad I ventured. I found the Scottish Mixture a surprisingly mild smoke with a nice full tobacco flavor and a good head of smoke for those who like to amuse themselves with smoke rings Very Happy I guess it's technically an aromatic blend, but I'd be hard pressed to identify the flavorings. Very light casing, imho, with enough honest tobacco behind it to give it body and life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
PeterD

Registration date : 2012-06-04

PostSubject: Re: First Time with MacBarens Mixture Scottish Blend   Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:55 pm

...I've enjoyed several of the MacBaren tobaccos over the years and keep a substantial amount of Scottish Mixture, Golden Extra, Virginia #1, Matured Virginia, Plumcake, and Vintage Syrian. I quite like the Scottish Mixture and find it to be a first rate representation of a light aromatic...Like some, I almost never experience tongue bite and MacBaren is one of the few manufacturers to maintain consistency in their tobaccos.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RoyOdhner

Registration date : 2015-04-21

PostSubject: Re: First Time with MacBarens Mixture Scottish Blend   Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:36 pm

One of my favorites, but I find very little difference between the flake and ready rubbed versions. Love the mildly sweat flavor, and the room note is just right. Not way sweet, but not cigarette-like. Just pipe-like.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: First Time with MacBarens Mixture Scottish Blend   Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:52 am

I like SB, but it bites me something fierce. I don't usually have the MacB bite/burn problems that seem to plague some folks, and no matter how low and slow (or how I pack) the blend, I can feel that "sting" after five minutes or less. It's a shame, but it might be the only blend that I WANT to smoke, but just can't.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: First Time with MacBarens Mixture Scottish Blend   Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:03 am

Blends that seem to be a bit bitey to me I have started clenching. It keeps the pipe lit and I take much fewer puffs in-between the little smoke I end up breathing keeping the pipe in my mouth the entire bowl. Seriously, if you're a pipe in hand guy this might help. It takes a while to get the hang of it but it's paid off for me. When you smoke your first bowl without once taking the pipe out of your mouth you'll be well rewarded. Tip; start with a cob.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

First Time with MacBarens Mixture Scottish Blend
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1