HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Jim's Dunhill Three Year Matured Virginia Review.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Jim's Dunhill Three Year Matured Virginia Review.   Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:35 pm

The first part of this review is for the old, discontinued version. This one never did much for me. I detected more topping than expected, and though that didn't put me off, I didn't buy it to get a less natural Virginia. I thought it burned a little hot, though not to the point where it bit much, unless I forgot and puffed fast. Burned a little fast, so it needed a slow cadence. It was very sweet (apricot, lemon, and perhaps orange) and not unpleasant, but if the Virginias really were aged three years, I sure couldn't tell it. The Orientals were light, which was okay with me, because I wanted it in the background.

As for the relaunch, there are a few differences. It burns slightly less warmer, slower, and smoother with a shade fewer grass notes. The topping seems slightly more "Royal Yacht" like, though less intense, a little less aromatic, and more of an apricot flavor. I think the lemon and orange(?) is the same. The amount and effect of the Orientals seems to be the same. I still can't tell that the Virginias were really aged for three years. They remind me of the ones used in London Mixture, except they are sweeter. Then again, they are much sublimated by the topping. Needs to be puffed at a moderate rate and no more. Leaves no dottle and has a light nic-hit. Not a bad blend, but not a four star product. I like it just a little more than the original.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Dunhill Three Year Matured Virginia Review.   Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:53 pm

Thanks Jim I really appreciate this review. I have a couple of tins and since you said it has a good bit of sweetness chances are I may like it. Looks like I'm going to have to wait a few weeks since I have 8 tins and 3 half pint jars already opened. Crying or Very sad Embarassed

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
"sam"

Registration date : 2012-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Dunhill Three Year Matured Virginia Review.   Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:28 pm

I will probably have to try this as I enjoy Royal Yacht as well as the Virginia components in many of the other Dunhill blends, although I was hoping the nicotine level would be similar to some of the stronger blends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Dunhill Three Year Matured Virginia Review.   Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:57 pm

Thanks for another informative review Jim!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Dunhill Three Year Matured Virginia Review.   Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:04 pm

I didn't like the older version as well. Way too cased and too little tobacco flavour.

Thanks Jim you confirm what I thought when it has been released: I will not buy it.
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Dunhill Three Year Matured Virginia Review.   Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:06 pm

I always kind of liked the Murray's version. Still have an unopened tin of it around somewhere, thanks to the generosity of Mr Natural. It had kind of a grape aroma and sweet fruity character to me, and while I'm not an aro guy at all I found this pleasant.

I'll have to check out the new iteration at some point. Thanks for the review Jim.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Dunhill Three Year Matured Virginia Review.   Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:09 am

Thanks for the review, Jim. I think I'm about to order a tin of this. I tried the old version back in the late 90s or so and didn't care for it, but my tastes ran mostly to "English" type blends at the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Jim's Dunhill Three Year Matured Virginia Review.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1