HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Thoughts on GLP Union Square and Virginia Tobacco

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on GLP Union Square and Virginia Tobacco   Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:31 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
With all do respect to all here, this is why I don't talk tobacco much at all.
It's like a court trial with both sides having there expect witnesses and neither side being technically wrong on the surface of the matter. But, after delving into to the seemingly minor or minute details
there's always at least one question unanswered and then it's left to a jury to say ya or nay which
doesn't always get it right as we all know. Strange analogy yes but, it works for me.
And I'm not saying anybody is wrong here, just that so many questions have been brought up that I'm not even sure now. I reckon that's why I just smoke what I like and don't worry about the rest. I'm a smoker not a tobacco manufacturer..........thank god. 5)

I think Ron's summed it up quite well. None of this really matters only that you smoke what you like and like what you smoke regardless of all the "expertise" involved. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MichaelM

Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on GLP Union Square and Virginia Tobacco   Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:02 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
It's like a court trial with both sides having there expect witnesses and neither side being technically wrong on the surface of the matter. But, after delving into to the seemingly minor or minute details
there's always at least one question unanswered and then it's left to a jury to say ya or nay which
doesn't always get it right as we all know. Strange analogy yes but, it works for me.
And I'm not saying anybody is wrong here, just that so many questions have been brought up that I'm not even sure now. I reckon that's why I just smoke what I like and don't worry about the rest. I'm a smoker not a tobacco manufacturer..........thank god. 5)
I'm sorry you see it that way Ron. My approach is much more similar to what Thomas described above. I guess I just like to understand stuff and experiment. I don't know about jurys and such, but I learned a few things and I call that a good use of my time. Sincere apologies if I asked too many questions.
Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
Fumus

Registration date : 2014-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on GLP Union Square and Virginia Tobacco   Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:18 pm

For what its worth, I don't think you asked too many questions Mike. Actually kind of glad that you started this discussion as its been both informative and at times entertaining for this new piper.
Love peace and bacon grease. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on GLP Union Square and Virginia Tobacco   Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:18 pm

MichaelM wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
I'm sorry you see it that way Ron. My approach is much more similar to what Thomas described above.  I guess I just like to understand stuff and experiment.  I don't know about jurys and such, but I learned a few things and I call that a good use of my time.  Sincere apologies if I asked too many questions.
Mike.

No no Mike, I didn't mean that anyone was asking too many questions or wanting to know too much. I too am very curious and want to know many things, it's just when it comes to tobacco I and I emphasize I am just thankful to find a few I like and I'm just not interested in how it was made or it's history. All I'm interested in is "can I get more?" Wink And that doesn't mean no one has the right to be different then me. I think everyone will admit that ONE of me is more then enough. But, somethings such as tobacco talk on forums always seems to end in someone contradicting the other and that's all I was trying to point out, that and I try to stay away from conflicts as such. I'm too old and too tired to even want to deal with it. Just want to sit back in my rocking chair and enjoy life without interruptions and certainly without conflicts, hence the reason I'm a hermit. Wink

Oh! and by the way, Union Square tastes like dry dirt to me. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on GLP Union Square and Virginia Tobacco   Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:37 pm

[quote="Cartaphilus"]
MichaelM wrote:
[quote

Oh! and by the way, Union Square tastes like dry dirt to me. Wink

Oooooh you in trouble now Ron !! Twisted Evil :twisted
BTW, those are my feelings about it as well !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MichaelM

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on GLP Union Square and Virginia Tobacco   Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:20 pm

Thank you Cart, Fumus. I hope anyone that bothers to read what I wrote will ignore the nonsense.
Mike.
Back to top Go down
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on GLP Union Square and Virginia Tobacco   Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:37 pm

I enjoyed this thread, had a little about Union Square and I'm interested in trying this one, as I am a big fan of McClelland Virginia and believe GLP is a master of Latakia but no one beats McClelland at the Virginia game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on GLP Union Square and Virginia Tobacco   Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:53 pm

Ya, I remember reading this thread when it was going full-tilt and thinking "I should post" but apparently never did.

Ketchup controversy notwithstanding, I did get some US in a few yrs ago on the relative merits of it being discussed by Yak, Kyle, and others. So I got some in.

Frankly I found it bland and one-dimensional (back then) and got rid of what I had (which wasn't much). But, I did have a partial tin of it jarred up which I still have. 

It now probably has 3+ more yrs on it, so I'll be ferreting it out to see what difference age has made. And I don't recall what age it was when it went into the tin. I may have that written down on the jar, providing I can find it.

In any event, I'll revisit US to see if age and/or my tastes have changed.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on GLP Union Square and Virginia Tobacco   Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:10 pm

I really enjoy U. Square. But I like it for a lot of the reasons that others don't. It's quite different from most other Straight Virginia's and has flavor qualities that are much more akin to a high quality burley flake. In other words it's earthy, deep, woodsy and somewhat darker in flavor but not in a "stoved" FVF or Dark Star kind of way. Instead it smokes brighter than most stoved flakes but still presents a lot of ballsy depth. Moreover, there's good balance between these two characteristics. It's not a very sweet smoke, so don't expect that. Well at least to my taste it's not sweet. Some do however find it to be so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on GLP Union Square and Virginia Tobacco   Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:10 am

Is any GLP tobacco sweet? To my taste, all that I've tried are not... This includes Montgomery, Haddos Delight, Triple Play among others... Not to say they're not enjoyable, but def do not contain the stoved plummy sweetness I get from other VA's.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on GLP Union Square and Virginia Tobacco   Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:36 pm

Old Nate wrote:
Is any GLP tobacco sweet? To my taste, all that I've tried are not... This includes Montgomery, Haddos Delight, Triple Play among others... Not to say they're not enjoyable, but def do not contain the stoved plummy sweetness I get from other VA's.

I found two that to my taste are on the sweeter side, both are Latakia's & both contain perique, Samarra and Quiet Nights. All of the Fog City blends that I have smoked Union Square, Embarcadero, Fillmore, Ashbury and Telegraph Hill are more (to varying degrees) on the savory side of the flavor spectrum. Fillmore is probably the most extreme example of the selection's savoriness.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on GLP Union Square and Virginia Tobacco   Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:33 pm

Hmm. D&B, I would call Triple Play savory. Many of those I haven't had, but is your definition of savory on par with mine?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on GLP Union Square and Virginia Tobacco   Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:00 am

Well, I thought I would have liked it. I do, really, but I can't say I like it a lot. I know they are virginias without the usual added sugar or topping, but buying Union Square made me realize I am not really a virginias only fan. So I would suggest it only for those that are true virginias fans.
Back to top Go down
MichaelM

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on GLP Union Square and Virginia Tobacco   Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:41 am

Since this thread has been reanimated... I thought some of you might enjoy this video on how the blend is made.  Quite a bit of work going into each tin!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on GLP Union Square and Virginia Tobacco   Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:18 am

e viseo is what convinced me to try some. I thought it was a darker VA, though, from watching it.
Back to top Go down

Thoughts on GLP Union Square and Virginia Tobacco
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2