HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Jim's G&H Rum Twist Unsliced Rope Review.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Jim's G&H Rum Twist Unsliced Rope Review.   Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:09 pm

The rope is moist and pliable and easily cut into coins, bits and/or shreds if you prefer. The Virginia is boldly earthy, with a deep dark fruitiness and a minor grass and acidic note. The rum topping has a sweetly deep character, and though it may sublimate the power of the Virginia a little, there's plenty of tobacco strength for your taste buds. Has a decent nic-hit. It requires a little dry time, but no matter how you prepare it (unless you dry it to a crisp, which I do not recommend), it burns slow and clean with a consistent flavor to the finish. No harsh or dull spots. It leaves some moisture in the bowl, and only leaves dottle for a wet smoker. If you leave it fairly moist, you will need to stir up the tobacco a time or two. The after taste pleasantly lingers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Bugsahearn

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Jim's G&H Rum Twist Unsliced Rope Review.   Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:29 am

Thanks jim have you tried the SG rum twist?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: Jim's G&H Rum Twist Unsliced Rope Review.   Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:53 am

No, but I'd like to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Jim's G&H Rum Twist Unsliced Rope Review.   Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:12 am

I just got in some of the GH licorice rope and aniseed rope along with sam gawith kendal twist cinnamon. The SG twist is brown no 4 cinnamon but when I went to slice it up I realized it's covered with real cinnamon powder. I know the main purpose of these twists is for chew and it seems like smoking cinnamon might not be the brightest idea? What do you think?

As for the GH ropes...the aniseed topping is fairly noticeable but it's not what I would call aniseed. It had more of sweet alcohol taste to it. It had a flavor I know from another GH tobacco but I can't place at the moment I think it's reminiscent of rum flake so it maybe very similar to rum rope.

The licorice is a very similar flavor profile although much lighter. There may be a hint of licorice in there somewhere but it's more like rum flake which I don't very lucoricey. Altogether they are both disappointing flavor wise alrhough they are very easy to smoke and pack a punch. I ordered the 18g packs from mr snuff and one 25g pack of SG twist and the 18g are less than half the size of the 25g so I'm not even sure if they sent me the 10g packs instead. There's no marking on the GH packages and one is damn near empty save for a few shreds. So if your looking to order the rare GH twist or looking for a strong licorice/anise tobacco I wouldn't reccomend these per say

Also got some condor which is quite a treat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: Jim's G&H Rum Twist Unsliced Rope Review.   Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:34 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:
I just got in some of the GH licorice rope and aniseed rope along with sam gawith kendal twist cinnamon. The SG twist is brown no 4 cinnamon but when I went to slice it up I realized it's covered with real cinnamon powder. I know the main purpose of these twists is for chew and it seems like smoking cinnamon might not be the brightest idea? What do you think?

As for the GH ropes...the aniseed topping is fairly noticeable but it's not what I would call aniseed. It had more of sweet alcohol taste to it. It had a flavor I know from another GH tobacco but I can't place at the moment I think it's reminiscent of rum flake so it maybe very similar to rum rope.

The licorice is a very similar flavor profile although much lighter. There may be a hint of licorice in there somewhere but it's more like rum flake which I don't very lucoricey. Altogether they are both disappointing flavor wise alrhough they are very easy to smoke and pack a punch. I ordered the 18g packs from mr snuff and one 25g pack of SG twist and the 18g are less than half the size of the 25g so I'm not even sure if they sent me the 10g packs instead. There's no marking on the GH packages and one is damn near empty save for a few shreds. So if your looking to order the rare GH twist or looking for a strong licorice/anise tobacco I wouldn't reccomend these per say

Also got some condor which is quite a treat

I would think smoking cinnamon is okay. There's a little in Angler's Dream and I like that.

Btw, a fellow forum member sent me some G&H Sweet Rum Twist. I am enjoying it very much. Here's my review:

As this is basically G&H's Brown Irish X with rum, it has most of the same characteristics, only the rum does smooth it out a little. Woodsy and smoky, grassy, earthy with a few cigar notes, a natural burley sweetness with a mild nuttiness in spots. Has a very bare spice note here and there. It's slighty creamier than Brown Irish X, though you may encounter some harshness here and there after the half way point. The topping mitigates the strength of the tobacco just a little. The essence of Lakeland is hardly present, and mostly vanishes after a couple of puffs. No matter how you decide to cut or rub it out once cut, it burns fairly well if you give it a slight dry time, though you may have to stir up the bottom of the bowl a little during the last third of the smoke. Has a medium to strong nic-hit. Only recommended for experienced smokers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Jim's G&H Rum Twist Unsliced Rope Review.   Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:08 pm

I've never had anglers dream but I would assume you mean it has cinnamon extract/essence rather than regular cinnamon powder sprinkled on the tobacco?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: Jim's G&H Rum Twist Unsliced Rope Review.   Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:32 pm

I didnt realize there was a sweet rum and rum until you just brought it up
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: Jim's G&H Rum Twist Unsliced Rope Review.   Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:01 pm

Bugsahearn wrote:
I've never had anglers dream but I would assume you mean it has cinnamon extract/essence rather than regular cinnamon powder sprinkled on the tobacco?

I guess it's extract. I never asked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Jim's G&H Rum Twist Unsliced Rope Review.   Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:51 pm

Jim, are there really two different twists (Rum and Sweet Rum)? These aren't just two different names for the same thing?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: Jim's G&H Rum Twist Unsliced Rope Review.   Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:02 pm

fsu92john wrote:
Jim, are there really two different twists (Rum and Sweet Rum)? These aren't just two different names for the same thing?

They are different. Sweet Rum has a little less topping and the bold, earthy flavors of the tobaccos come out to a higher degree. The Rum Twist Unsliced Rope is smoother, more rum, and the tobacco strength is less.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

Jim's G&H Rum Twist Unsliced Rope Review.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1