HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

An old friend

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: An old friend   Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:39 pm

I'll never forget the first tin of SG's St James Flake. It was one of those 'I've found it' moments that I suppose we all chase on the quest for the perfect 'baccy. The tin note is superb, as is of course the smoke, with the Per adding that new dimension of pepperiness that I've come to enjoy. I don't have a large cellar, maybe 8 or so sealed and 5 on the go, but there's always been a tin of SJF. I'm not sure why, maybe it was a subconscious effort to preserve it for a 'special occasion' smoke, but I've not had one open for while. That was until last night when I decided to pop one open. And what a tremendous smoke it was too.

So, as I sit here tonight enjoying a quintessential English summer evening in the 'shire, listening to the blackbirds beckon the close of the day, I find myself again accompanied by my old friend Sammy G's St James Flake. I think like Ron's Escudo, this is going to be 'my' 'baccy...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-07

PostSubject: Re: An old friend   Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:59 pm

Stick, it's great to hear that you have one of those must have blends in your cellar! Few things in life compare to the anticipation of sniffing a cracked tin, and setting fire to it in a favorite pipe! cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: An old friend   Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:06 pm

Splendid to find a go-to isn't it David me ol' mucker! One that you know has been tried and true for your personal tastes. Have to admit I'm a bit partial to it myself.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: An old friend   Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:49 am

"And in that moment, he saw all was right in the world, if only for that moment.........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: An old friend   Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:32 pm

I've enjoyed a few more bowls of SJF since this original post and each time I've noted a similar thing; it's taken more lights than the other blends that I enjoy to establish a good ember. However, once it's going it'll go the length of the bowl with few other (if any) re-lights. I rub it out fully, leave it to air dry for approx 20 - 30 mins, and then fire her up.

I wondered if any others had had a similar experience?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: An old friend   Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:41 am

Stick wrote:
I've enjoyed a few more bowls of SJF since this original post and each time I've noted a similar thing; it's taken more lights than the other blends that I enjoy to establish a good ember.  However, once it's going it'll go the length of the bowl with few other (if any) re-lights.  I rub it out fully, leave it to air dry for approx 20 - 30 mins, and then fire her up.  

I wondered if any others had had a similar experience?

Pretty much my experience with Sammy G's blends, as they come pretty moist. I leave mine out to dry after rubbing out for a bit longer, depending on my R/H. I go by feel, but do like my blends more to the dry side than most.

Oddly enough BBF seems to dry down the best and quickest for me, while FVF can be a bugger to get right. My understanding is that they are the same leaf combinations, but FVF is pressed longer.

SJF is somewhere around the R/H of BBF for me. So it does dry down fairly easily. And I really don't pay much attention to re-lights, unless they seem to be much more than normal - which is where I start to question my packing method on that particular occasion!

I guess where I stand is that Sammy G's line can be a bit more fiddly than some. It does take a bit of practice and patience to get right. But when one hits the "zone" with them, then it's pure bliss!

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online

An old friend
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1