HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:36 pm

Am I the only one to have noticed? Shocked

We are talking $3.50 to $6 +, depending on the series. affraid

Just noticed today.

Last edited by Guyrox on Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:36 pm

Yes. Noticed this as well. Seems to be across the board. All e-tailers.

Lucy, 'splain!

Mad

No Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Bugsahearn

Registration date : 2015-02-05

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:23 pm

Call me shallow but the design on the tins keeps me from ever trying mac baren. it looks like some type of ladies snack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tslots

Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:27 am

Ouch! Wonder what the reason is for the huge increase?

Bugsahearn wrote:
Call me shallow but the design on the tins keeps me from ever trying mac baren. it looks like some type of ladies snack.

I've never heard of this particular reason for avoiding pipe tobacco ... until today. scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:06 am

Yowzers! That's a 5 dollar increase on Old Dark Fired. Ouch!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:45 am

I started smoking Mac Barens and Rattray for the same reason.. You could buy a 100g tin for the price of the others 50g tins.. In the past decade they've somehow managed to become top shelf price wise. scratch

To much good stuff for me to fret over a couple houses acting silly.
I'll stick to my low rent GH&co stuff.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:55 am

Their prices were more than fair, I will admit to that of my own free will. And pretty good quality too.

I guess this quality did justify, eventually, a somewhat reasonable increase.

But there's increase, and there's increase!

2 weeks ago, I ordered some Plumcake ($9.50) and Club Blend ($14.40). Now, they stand at 13.50 for Plumcake and 20.80 for Club Blend. That's a very near 50% increase, Pouf! just like that? Shocked

I do love Mac Baren.

But, like puros_bran, I am not going to buy any, anymore. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:46 am

I just saw that the Capstan line has also gone up $4 per 50g.... Shocked

I was already not keen on getting some for $12; now at $16, I have zero interest in buying any.

If Mac Baren wants to see its sales crash down in the US, they are on a really good start!
Back to top Go down
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:04 am

Looks like I'll be buying Vintage Syrian in bulk....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:08 pm

Looks like I'll be buying more of something else, hahaha..
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:18 pm

Yes, that kind of increase always feels extreme.

Side note, 1# bags are still reasonable on smokingpipes.com. Buy them up before those prices change! 3.5oz tin of Club Blend is about $20, a 16oz bag is about $45. Similar or better with the other blends available. Good luck. Sorry if that suggestion is not worthwhile for our International brothers because of shipping/customs restraints. Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:27 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Looks like I'll be buying more of something else, hahaha..

You betcha, bro! Cool
Back to top Go down
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:22 pm

3.5 punches for $20? Jesus why not buy some Sam Gawith 250g for 9 bucks more and you"ll have a much higher quality product (I assume) and no one will mistake it for some health conscious desert flavored cereal bars they sell at duane read
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bugsahearn

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:23 pm

Actually they really look more like a can of cheap pralines you'd buy at the pharmacy though lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:27 pm

juanmedusa wrote:
Yes, that kind of increase always feels extreme.

Side note, 1# bags are still reasonable on smokingpipes.com. Buy them up before those prices change! 3.5oz tin of Club Blend is about $20, a 16oz bag is about $45. Similar or better with the other blends available. Good luck. Sorry if that suggestion is not worthwhile for our International brothers because of shipping/customs restraints. Neutral

Yea, that was my point. Buy a 1lb bag and it's about $2.75 an ounce. The other blends may shortly follow suit. Something is probably up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
tslots

Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:59 pm

JR Cigars still has the old prices ... so get 'em while you can.

I'm wondering if some sort of tobacco tax increase kicked in on July 1. I know Obama's 2015 budget included a big raise on taxes for pipe tobacco from $2.83 to $5.46/lb
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:05 pm

tslots wrote:
JR Cigars still has the old prices ... so get 'em while you can.

I'm wondering if some sort of tobacco tax increase kicked in on July 1. I know Obama's 2015 budget included a big raise on taxes for pipe tobacco from $2.83 to $5.46/lb

Yea, the dirty little secret is that if we all quit smoking the government would be in serious financial straits, being as they've blown through all the money from the tobacco blackmail..er settlement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:58 am

It's kind of amusing, Smokingpipes.com just unveiled a 9oz tin of Virginia #1 and it costs more than the 16oz bag of the same tobacco.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:10 pm

Yup....

Saw the numbers jump myself a few days ago. Locked in some prices by loading my 'cart' a day before the hike. No change in domestic blends (yet). Gonna have to clear a bit more forest to plant some more tobacco with my 'tomatoes'...

Need to expand my seed bank too......

Doubling the prices on tins is pretty scary. Part of the Greek bailout?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
babysinister

Registration date : 2009-05-09

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:29 pm

And there I was, feeling guilty because I had stocked 100g tin after 100g tin of my favorite MacBs. Feeling like, justified, right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joshoowah

Registration date : 2011-09-24

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:45 pm

Yeah. Their prices have been increased nearly everywhere. Shame.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:41 pm

Haven't heard anything back from SP as to my inquiry on this subject. My thoughts are if it was a tax issue, would it not be across the board on all pipe 'baccy? I did receive a nice order from SP about two weeks ago containing 8 oz. bulk Golden Extra. That may the last of MacB's for me!! Glad I have several Capstan tins sitting on the shelf!!!! Better enjoy them, won't be replacing at these prices Evil or Very Mad cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:10 pm

Mars Pipes and Cigars still hasn't raised their prices. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kitobi

Registration date : 2015-05-30

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:05 pm

Here in the UK most tobaccos are between 12 to 14 a pouch, so that equates to $20 to $22 as a normal price from any shop or high street supermarket for a 40g pouch.
anything half decent is on the upward trend from that

welcome to the guild Sad

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!   Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:07 pm

I considered ordering some ODF from Mars, but with their other bulk tobaccos being slightly more expensive, I decided to take the hit and order from Sykes. Same price on total order... Neutral

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile

CRAZY Price Increase on Mac Baren Tobaccos!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next