HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Some thoughts on the "new" Three Year Matured

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Some thoughts on the "new" Three Year Matured   Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:59 pm

Having smoked this back in the early '70s when I got started on my Va experiences, I thought I'd give this new iteration a try. Being a BIG fan of Red Va's, the ketchup guys in KC do them best,  the listing of leaf in this one made me want to give it a go.    "A medium blend consisting of Red Virginia and Oriental Leaf, lightly flavoured with mixed fruit essence."  On opening the tin, I did not get much in the way of aroma, either Red Va or Oriental nor mixed fruit, rather a plain hay/citrus bright Va and that only lightly ! It is presented in the typical Dunhill fine ribbon cut manner which loads well and has really a nice ready to pack moisture level for me, but then most of the older and new Dunhill offerings have ALWAYS been this way. It takes a char light well with only another match to get it going. After the first "settling tamp" it goes smoothly to the bottom light dry. grey ash . Relights are easy and it DOES NOT BITE, EVER Twisted Evil  It does smoke cool and dry though heats the bowl more than ANY of McC's straight Red Va's do. No real great hits fron Lady 'N' and the room aroma is "...just plain tobacco" as a friend has remarked while I was smoking it. It has a nice smooth citrusy Va flavor with just a bit of "tang" from the Orientals that are stated as being in it. All in all it's still a good plain Bright Va blend/mixture which could be an all day mindless smoke for those wanting such. I'll be smoking the rest of this tin but probably not aquire more as it just does not satisfy my liking of that Red Va sweetness that the boys in KC's blend/mixtures provide. It's a good intro Va blend for those wanting to get started in the world of straight Va blends/mixtures. Pipes used so far are one cob, an Eagle Claw Meer, and a Savinelli Shell Pot. Just some initial impressions Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on the "new" Three Year Matured   Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:17 pm

I just opened a tin this week. I wasn't fond of this when I tried the Murray's version in the late 90s. The new stuff is much different from what I remember. The cut seems finer and the topping is subtler and less sweet than what I recollect in the old version. Actually, this new one really seems like a variation on Royal Yacht to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on the "new" Three Year Matured   Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:53 pm

Thanks for the review Michael. I guess we now have yours and JimInks to go on from this site.

I've only some little experience with this from the prior release, which I guess is from around '00/'01. I'm not much of a historian, so don't rightly remember which blender this was.

Only know that the Matured 3-Year Virginia  back then had a pronounced grape soda character, yet was not strident. And that I liked it, but not as an every day smoke. I also don't identify as an aro guy, but did like this. Occasionally, mind.

I have one unopened tin of the prior release, courtesy of Mr. Natural. When I get a round tuit!

tongue 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Some thoughts on the "new" Three Year Matured   Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:06 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Thanks for the review Michael. I guess we now have yours and JimInks to go on from this site.

I've only some little experience with this from the prior release, which I guess is from around '00/'01. I'm not much of a historian, so don't rightly remember which blender this was.

Only know that the Matured 3-Year Virginia  back then had a pronounced grape soda character, yet was not strident. And that I liked it, but not as an every day smoke. I also don't identify as an aro guy, but did like this. Occasionally, mind.

I have one unopened tin of the prior release, courtesy of Mr. Natural. When I get a round tuit!

tongue 

Cheers,

RR

Remember, you'll be smoking the earlier Murray's version, not what is available from STG/Orlik/Dunhill today and that is what I have been smoking and reviewed Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Some thoughts on the "new" Three Year Matured
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1