Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
tslots

tslots

Registration date : 2008-03-29

Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10   Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 17, 2015 6:57 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
I appreciate you guys liken my pipes but, could ya all tone it down just a bit?

We're just trying to be polite.  If your audience here were all professional pipe makers, I'm sure they'd give you the more critical comments you seek, like
"Nice try, come back again when you have something to show me"  
Or
"I made one that looked just like that when I was 7"
Or even
"I've seen better looking pipes under my sink"

But most of the folks here, myself included, are just wowed by the effort you put in and the fact that the pics are very shiny.    sunny
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10   Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 17, 2015 7:34 pm

tslots wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
I appreciate you guys liken my pipes but, could ya all tone it down just a bit?

We're just trying to be polite.  If your audience here were all professional pipe makers, I'm sure they'd give you the more critical comments you seek, like
"Nice try, come back again when you have something to show me"  
Or
"I made one that looked just like that when I was 7"
Or even
"I've seen better looking pipes under my sink"

But most of the folks here, myself included, are just wowed by the effort you put in and the fact that the pics are very shiny.    sunny

Okay, okay I get it. I didn't mean you had to hate them, just maybe lik'em a little bit less.........until I start selling some of course. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10   Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 17, 2015 8:12 pm

tslots makes some objective observations, albeit tongue-in-cheek.

Equally, Ron has his standards of excellence and performance based on his experience with handling many pipes that have come to his bench for work over the years, and of course those which he has chosen to purchase and smoke. So he clearly has a standard by which he must judge his work. Fair enough, I get it.

Ron, what you have shown us here in something like 10 or more creations displays the acumen and ability to turn your hand(s) to whatever your fancy takes you. There is clearly the ability and strength of design/form.

OK, so you have issues with one thing or another. Ya, I get it - you're you're own worst critic. And you should be. I can relate.

But don't put yourself down my friend. You have a talent. Let it grow, let it flourish. Even if you resign yourself to only making pipes for yourself, and the joy of others who can just content themselves with simply viewing your creations on BoB.

But I hope you don't!

Cheers,

RR

Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 Purple11x 3Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 Bombx10Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 Bombx10  Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 D6bddf10 Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 Cowboy13Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10   Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 17, 2015 8:43 pm

Brewdude wrote:
tslots makes some objective observations, albeit tongue-in-cheek.

Equally, Ron has his standards of excellence and performance based on his experience with handling many pipes that have come to his bench for work over the years, and of course those which he has chosen to purchase and smoke. So he clearly has a standard by which he must judge his work. Fair enough, I get it.

Ron, what you have shown us here in something like 10 or more creations displays the acumen and ability to turn your hand(s) to whatever your fancy takes you. There is clearly the ability and strength of design/form.

OK, so you have issues with one thing or another. Ya, I get it - you're you're own worst critic. And you should be. I can relate.

But don't put yourself down my friend. You have a talent. Let it grow, let it flourish. Even if you resign yourself to only making pipes for yourself, and the joy of others who can just content themselves with simply viewing your creations on BoB.

But I hope you don't!

Cheers,

RR

BD, I have little knowledge of making pipes, I do try and get ideas and how a pipe suppose to look from my own collection but, somehow when I go to make a pipe it all gets lost. PMF was a good place to get help but, even then it seems I forget more then I learned. I'd like to blame it on short time memory loss but, I've been like this all my life. There are things about shaping a pipe properly that the layman doesn't see or goes unnoticed to the untrained eye. No, my eye's are far from trained or should I say eye being I only got one decent one left, no right, anyway, that's where I'm at. Don't get me wrong everybody likes a little compliment ever so often but, I see things you guys don't and that's why so many kudos is a bit embarrassing for me seeing what I see. Oh yeah, I think there pretty good considering otherwise I wouldn't post them. Hell, a year or two from now if I'm still doing it I'll look back and wish I hadn't posted any of these turds. But for now I'm not look'en forward, it's a day by day thing right now and I don't see myself doing this in the near future. Like I've told several, I'm a lot better at buy'en them then mak'en them. Wink
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10   Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 17, 2015 9:00 pm

Fair enough Ron. So you're not on "professional" level yet, but you clearly have the talent. So don't sell yourself short. That's all I'm saying. 

And I only have one functional eye as well!

Cheers,

RR

Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 Purple11x 3Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 Bombx10Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 Bombx10  Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 D6bddf10 Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 Cowboy13Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
huffelpuff

huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10   Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 1:49 am

Ron, I see some of the issues that are bothering you. I have to say though that even though you're not satisfied with how it turned out that it is a most impressive effort. Sure there are some minor sand pits but there is also some really really amazing birdseye. Also keep in mind that it is a natural product and sometimes no amount of effort on your part will turn out a truly perfect piece. I would like to say that I would proudly display and use that pipe. Is it perfect.....no but I like what I see. You have a lot of people here who feel the same as I do. You are passionate about what you're doing and it shows.

Jim
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10   Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 8:30 am

huffelpuff wrote:
Ron, I see some of the issues that are bothering you. I have to say though that even though you're not satisfied with how it turned out that it is a most impressive effort. Sure there are some minor sand pits but there is also some really really amazing birdseye. Also keep in mind that it is a natural product and sometimes no amount of effort on your part will turn out a truly perfect piece. I would like to say that I would proudly display and use that pipe. Is it perfect.....no but I like what I see. You have a lot of people here who feel the same as I do. You are passionate about what you're doing and it shows.

Jim

Thank you Jim Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 Liftha39
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10   Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 12:13 pm

OK, so what is wrong with the shape, if I may be so bold? I consider myself pretty good at judging shapes, or at least shapes I like. I can almost always sight "flaws" that prevent me from buying a pipe, and that includes any maker. The only thing I see "wrong" with the pipe is that the shank is maybe too thin, at least in the top photo. The bit looks larger than the shank, maybe. But the more I look at it, the more it looks "right," and done deliberately, adding to the flow of the transition. In short, I would buy this pipe. It's way better than most rhodesians, and I often ogle Rinaldos, or whoever that maker is that seems to specialize in them. I will admit to a bias, 'cause I like its simplicity, i.e., no shank extensions, etc., and the fact that it has a tapered bit instead of a saddle. But I only have the photos to judge, so maybe it really is just a p.o.s., Ron, and I'm a deluded fool--in which case, you take damn good photos.

Hey! I've got a sales slogan for you: "Ronaldo Pipes--When Perfection Isn't Good Enough!"  
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10   Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 12:29 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
Granted there smooth and shiny but, they have flaws in shaping. Maybe not major to you guys but, until I get things right, they won't be right. Wink

Wow, to a layman's eye the shaping looks excellent, the stem to bowl transition flows nicely. I've seen a lot worse from "professionals", that is for certain. If that is only #10, I can imagine what #20 will look like. Is someone advising you or are you solo? I can only wish for that kind of artistic talent. Like playing music, I can appreciate it but not participate.
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10   Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 2:26 pm

The stem has just a tad of a hump where it should be straight as an arrow but, that not the worst.
Perhaps you can't really see it in these photos well but the bottom of the bowl doesn't sweep in enough and more material needed to be taken off the bowl where it meets the shank. Here's a photo to explain all of that.

Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 Pipe_116
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10   Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 3:11 pm

Sweet Pipe there Ron............
Back to top Go down
riff raff

riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10   Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 4:42 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
The stem has just a tad of a hump where it should be straight as an arrow but, that not the worst.
Perhaps you can't really see it in these photos well but the bottom of the bowl doesn't sweep in enough and more material needed to be taken off the bowl where it meets the shank. Here's a photo to explain all of that.

Contrasted with this Radice, I can see your stem. The bottom of the bowl doesn't jump out to my eye. I suppose that is one of those things that becomes more apparent as the bowl is handled in person. Again, I've seen far worse from more practiced pipe shapers.

Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 Pipe_116

Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 002-030-1855

Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10   Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 5:28 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Sweet Pipe there Ron............

Thank you sir Wink
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10   Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 5:32 pm

riff raff wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

Contrasted with this Radice, I can see your stem.  The bottom of the bowl doesn't jump out to my eye.  I suppose that is one of those things that becomes more apparent as the bowl is handled in person.   Again, I've seen far worse from more practiced pipe shapers.

Well, Lets put it this way. If the bottom of the bowl swept in more it would give it more flow and be more attractive...........at least to me. Wink
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10   Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 10:52 pm

I see your point, Ron, but Italian makers, for one, do this all the time. Ever look at Castello shapes, for example? Love how they can "ruin" a classic shape. It's like they don't give a damn, and neither do their buyers, apparently. How about the old Charatans? Wish I still had an old bent pear I could show you. Looked like a spastic with astigmatism shaped it. Even the bit, as I remember, was a warped oddity. In any event, can't wait for number 20, or even 11.
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10   Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 19, 2015 8:12 am

Richard Burley wrote:
I see your point, Ron, but Italian makers, for one, do this all the time. Ever look at Castello shapes, for example? Love how they can "ruin" a classic shape. It's like they don't give a damn, and neither do their buyers, apparently. How about the old Charatans? Wish I still had an old bent pear I could show you. Looked like a spastic with astigmatism shaped it. Even the bit, as I remember, was a warped oddity. In any event, can't wait for number 20, or even 11.

Yes but, theirs are done on purpose and mine are just fricken brain farts. Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 Dash113
Back to top Go down
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10   Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 1:42 pm

Now that you've pointed out all the flaws please go ahead and send it to me and I'll see if even smokes as bad as it OBVIOUSLY looks !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil I won't tell anyone who made it, just point out all it's flaws and tell 'em it's just "... one of THOSE Basket pipes. no big deal !! " Is this a BETTER reply that's to your liking ? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Richard Burley

Richard Burley

PostSubject: Re: Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10   Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 1:53 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Now that you've pointed out all the flaws please go ahead and send it to me and I'll see if even smokes as bad as it OBVIOUSLY looks !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil  I won't tell anyone who made it, just point out all it's flaws and tell 'em it's just "... one of THOSE Basket pipes. no big deal !! " Is this a BETTER reply that's to your liking ? Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Now there's an offer that you shouldn't let pass by, Ron, done out of compassion and pity. A true gentleman, that there Monbla guy. No man stands as tall as when he stoops to help a no-talent pipe maker.  clown
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10   Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 21, 2015 2:30 pm

Hey, nothing wrong with that at all. That's all I want is honesty.
And honestly, I won't sell nor give any pipes away I don't see worthy of selling.
So you'll all have to wait till I finally make one that passes my okay.......don't hold your breaths now. Wink
Back to top Go down
Mozjo33

Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10   Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 8:53 pm

Beautiful pipe Ron. My favorite style. I can't wait for #11.
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10   Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2015 8:56 pm

Mozjo33 wrote:
Beautiful pipe Ron.  My favorite style. I can't wait for #11.

Thank you sir, pipe #11 & #12 are in the workings right now. Wink
Back to top Go down

Latest but not Greatest Pipe No.10
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: