HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Jim's Velvan Plug Review.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JimInks

avatar

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Jim's Velvan Plug Review.   Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:18 pm

The Virginias are very earthy with a little grassiness, and are dark fruit sweet in a fermented way. I also notice a little citrus. Even though they don't list burley as a component, the boldness of earth suggests a little of it to my taste buds. One of the toppings is pleasantly floral in a Lakeland way, but not overly so or quite the same way as a Lakeland is. I can't identify the other toppings, but I taste apricots, plum, figs, and dates among the sweet flavors of the toppings and the tobacco. It takes a little time to prepare, and needs some dry time, but smoking it dry would cause some loss of the fullness of flavor of which this has plenty. Has a strong enough nic-hit to enjoy without making you have to sit down and shake off the wooziness.  No chance of bite. Burns slow, requires a number of relights, and needs a a little stirring of the tobacco after the half way point, even when you pack it loose. Will leave moisture in your bowl, but if you're not a wet smoker and properly prepare and cut the tobacco, you can avoid dottle. The flavors remain dominant with no dull or harsh spots all the way to the finish. Leaves a very pleasant after taste.  Not available in the United States.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Velvan Plug Review.   Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:41 pm

While I really like Mick McQuaid Plug and Yachtsman Plug, I like Velvan even more. I agree with Jim about there being something burley-like in it. Too bad it's not more easily available!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
JimInks

avatar

Location : North Carolina
Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Velvan Plug Review.   Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:57 pm

DrT999 wrote:
While I really like Mick McQuaid Plug and Yachtsman Plug, I like Velvan even more.  I agree with Jim about there being something burley-like in it.  Too bad it's not more easily available!

I've never tried Yachtsman Plug, but I'd sure like to, especially after smoking Velvan, which I like more than Mick McQuaid, too. I only got a small sample of this, but I find myself craving a bowl every day.


Well, I managed to smoke it to a fine gray ash this time with very little trouble. Hardly any moisture, too. I cut it into small, thin flakes, and it did very well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
DrT999

avatar

Age : 59
Location : Piedmont of North Carolina
Registration date : 2011-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Velvan Plug Review.   Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:33 pm

JimInks wrote:
DrT999 wrote:
While I really like Mick McQuaid Plug and Yachtsman Plug, I like Velvan even more.  I agree with Jim about there being something burley-like in it.  Too bad it's not more easily available!

I've never tried Yachtsman Plug, but I'd sure like to, especially after smoking Velvan, which I like more than Mick McQuaid, too. I only got a small sample of this, but I find myself craving a bowl every day.


Well, I managed to smoke it to a fine gray ash this time with very little trouble. Hardly any moisture, too. I cut it into small, thin flakes, and it did very well.

To me, the tobacco in Yachtsman tastes pretty much the same as Velvan, just with a much much lighter (but similar) topping.  I get them from James Fox in Dublin


http://www.jamesfox.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=209_215_333&zenid=829fb0b2260e862d0e8da9e80bae762f
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccocellar.com/DrT999
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 53
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Velvan Plug Review.   Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:51 pm

So, if you don't have an account in Euros, how does one go about purchasing said products?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

avatar

Age : 65
Location : Near the Emerald city
Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Velvan Plug Review.   Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:54 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
So, if you don't have an account in Euros, how does one go about purchasing said products?


Just enter the purchase. It'll be converted in the appropriate currency. And there will be a small additional charge for the conversion.

Easy Peasy.


Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 53
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Velvan Plug Review.   Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:07 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Ozark Wizard wrote:
So, if you don't have an account in Euros, how does one go about purchasing said products?


Just enter the purchase. It'll be converted in the appropriate currency. And there will be a small additional charge for the conversion.

Easy Peasy.


Cheers,

RR

sweet. The first of the month won't get here fast enough for me it seems. Thanks for the intel, I saved the site in my 'favourites'...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Jim's Velvan Plug Review.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Could Madeleine's Review by SY be pulled??
» tanteidan convention book 17 (review)
» Serious Case Review (SCR) Rochdale.
» [plug.dj] Oasis Radio Information
» Want a Forum Review? POST HERE!

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: