HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

C&D's Three Friars

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: C&D's Three Friars   Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:06 am

Today I received a sample of Three Friars sent to me by a my good friend Rande (Brewdude). As I opened the bag I was immediately met by the aroma of a tobacco barn where tobacco was flue cured. As a boy I spent many hours loading and unloading tobacco barns and always enjoyed the smell of fresh cured tobaccco. I've only smoked 3 bowls so far but it is enough for me to decide if it is a tobacco that I'd keep in my regular rotation and this one will certainly be there. The evenly colored medium golden brown ribbon cut tobacco had a  perfect moisture content being just a little on the dry side making it an easy tobacco to pack and light. The first few puffs made me smile because the Perique delivered just a hint of spiciness and a bit more of sweetness. It was noticable for sure but I could tell it was there as a condiment and not the main character. My taste buds are not very sensitive but each component had sufficent strength for me to to detect. The fruity sweetness of the Va.'s are perfectly balanced with the rich nuttiness of the burley. For me the nicotine was spot on having enough effect to satisfy my craving. As I continued to smoke I noticed that each puff delivered a large volume of rich tasty smoke. The volume was so large and the sensation felt so thick that it almost demanded that I chew. The combination of all three types of tobacco throughout the bowl remained perfectly balanced with none becoming dominant. The sweetness was subtle but the taste simlar to brown sugar was left on the stem of the pipe which is a characteristic I find exceedingly pleasurable. Three friars burned all the way to the bottom of the bowl requiring only a couple of relights to each bowl. It didn't give any hint of tongue bite but would begin to burn quickly if I started to puff agressively. This quick puffing caused the bowl to get too hot to hold in my hand but returning to slow regular pufffing allowed it to cool down so I could enjoy the rest of the bowl. At the end of each bowl there was nothing left but some gray ash. The pipes used were a Mauro Armellini freehand apple, an Aristocob, and a sandblasted black Design Berlin bent brandy. I'm not sure what effect aging will have on this blend but you can rest assured that by the time I finish smoking all of this sample Rande sent me I will have ordered at least a dozen tins to stash away in my cellar. It comes in bulk but I don't have the room for anymore jars in my cellar. If you like a blend that has all these types of tobacco with no one type being dominate then this may be a blend you'd find to your liking.

Rande I sincerely appreciate you sending me the sample. Your generosity will be rewarded. Thanks again.  Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:18 am

Thanks for the review. I'm really looking forward to trying this tobacco. Mine should arrive tomorrow and now you've got my mouth watering.. Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:55 am

AJ, thanks for taking the time to write this comprehensive review. I think I'll like this blend.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:23 am

Heh. Ya' got me sold, Mr. ajn27511.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:32 pm

I am a big fan. I gave it a 4 on TR and have it listed in my favorites. I was smoking a bowl of it when I read AJ's review!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:30 pm

Fr_Tom wrote:
I am a big fan. I gave it a 4 on TR and have it listed in my favorites. I was smoking a bowl of it when I read AJ's review!

It was your review that convinced me to ask Rande for the sample. You wrote a good review. Thanks! Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:57 pm

ajn27511 wrote:

It was your review that convinced me to ask Rande for the sample. You wrote a good review. Thanks! Smile

AJ

I am glad to be of help. For me it is just a solid, reliable smoke that satisfies and is not quirky or expensive. It wears well for me. I sometimes smoke up a 4 oz sample and order a pound. By the time the pound has been smoked, the novelty has worn off or I have discovered all the mysteries or something. Three Friars holds up very well, and I go through enough of it that I just have a pound open and don't bother transferring it to jars to smoke as I "have a mind."
Back to top Go down
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:38 pm

I really like it in the tin but, I bought about a half pound in bulk and it certainly needs some cellar time.
A bit bitey off and on through the bowl and much stronger. I like a strong tobacco but, with the bite I have to set it aside awhile to age. I'm thinking that the tins probably sit around longer then the bulk does so that explains the difference. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:24 pm

Glad you are enjoying it AJ. Also, nice review.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:44 pm

I've got some three Friars a while ago. My pallet says it needs some time.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MichaelM

Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:33 pm

Thanks for the great review AJ. Its been a while since I smoked 3 Friars, but I remember my impressions were similar to what you describe. Its funny how some really great blends can just fall out of my rotation. Well, I'll be fixing that with my next order!
Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCha16KUMQOZfkW_RgR7eA3Q
RobJ

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:13 pm

I'm putting in a small order this morning and trying to decide between buying this by the tin or in bulk, the price difference is substantial. Based on experience does anyone care to give an estimate on how long it needs to be cellared if bought in bulk to where it's close in smoking quality to the tinned?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:05 pm

RobJ wrote:
I'm putting in a small order this morning and trying to decide between buying this by the tin or in bulk, the price difference is substantial. Based on experience does anyone care to give an estimate on how long it needs to be cellared if bought in bulk to where it's close in smoking quality to the tinned?

Rob, I've had mine cellared for and 6 months and it needs about 6 more I'd say.
But, what the @&%$* do I know anyway? Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:24 pm

Well heck I gambled and lost then, I went for the bulk. Oh well, guess I'll order a tin in a week or two. Input appreciated Ron you curmudgeon pipe maker you. Laughing

cheers

Last edited by RobJ on Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MichaelM

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:25 pm

Not to disagree with Ron, but I have only smoked the bulk and didn't find it unpleasant in anyway. Let's us know how the bulk and tIn compare Rob. I'll probably spring for a tin myself.
Mike.
Back to top Go down
Fr_Tom

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:40 pm

RobJ wrote:
Well heck I gambled and lost then, I went for the bulk. Oh well, guess I'll order a tin in a week or two. Input appreciated Ron...

I smoke the bulk fresh, and I like it. It is possible I do not have the most sophisticated palate.
Back to top Go down
Cartaphilus

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:44 pm

I didn't think to mention but, I do have issues with Burley and bite and 3 Friars is certainly a Burley blend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:22 pm

Thanks gentlemen! Well Padre I'm sure my palate is suspect but you're one of a few Brothers here who's taste in blends tracks darn close to mine, so if you like this one "fresh" chances are I will too. And Ron I forgot about you and Burley, thankfully I don't have that problem.

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:45 pm

Tastes fine to me fresh. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scot's

Registration date : 2012-07-05

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:46 pm

eklektos44 wrote:
Tastes fine to me fresh. Smile

I too got a sample from Rande and I'm towing the same line... I haven't had any issues and it seems to work in all my pipes... delicious!

Thanks again Rande!

Scott
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:01 pm

Very interesting reading all the comments on everyone's experiences with this blend.

My very first experience with it was from a very generous brother here (John a.k.a. eklektos44) somewhat recently. Glad I could repay the favor John.

Liked the flavor, the cut, the fact that it came perfect for immediate packing without any further drying. And that's a characteristic I've noted of several of the C&D blends which is perfect for me, in that I tend to prefer my 'baccy a bit on the dry side.

I will note that for me however, it came with a nic-punch that gave me the hics mid bowl, or whenever I tried to puff faster than occasionally. I seem to be quite sensitive to lady nic, and do not appreciate it beyond a certain point (low to no).

That was the only down side of Three Friars to me. Seemed a bit on the strong side, which perhaps a bit of aging can reduce. Also like others have said, the flavors might meld a bit as well.

FWIW

Cheers,

RR

Last edited by Brewdude on Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:38 am

Cartaphilus wrote:
I didn't think to mention but, I do have issues with Burley and bite and 3 Friars is certainly a Burley blend.

There is a good bit of burley present, but it's definitely more VA forward. For those who find C&D Burley blends not sweet enough and too harsh, do not be afraid. The sweeter VAs tame these characteristics, but also receive some extra umph from their Burley counterpart.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
MichaelM

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:48 pm

Thomas Tkach wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

There is a good bit of burley present, but it's definitely more VA forward. For those who find C&D Burley blends not sweet enough and too harsh, do not be afraid. The sweeter VAs tame these characteristics, but also receive some extra umph from their Burley counterpart.

I partly agree, but based on my impressions I wouldn't go so far as to say VA forward. What I liked most was the balance between the two. To your point, it is not a burley powerhouse. The burley is certainly there, but the VA is equally there and neither seem to me to step forward and steal the show.
Back to top Go down
aadelma

Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:06 am

I bought a few ounces in bulk a few years ago and try it off and on. They must have spilled the perique jar in my batch, because that is all I taste, and it has a tremendous nic hit. A real pity, because when it was fresh off the truck and the flavors had not yet married, I liked the Va and Burley in there.

I recently tried Virginia Gentleman and get those same flavors without the perique and nic hit, so it's sort of a 3 Friars Lite.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Tkach

Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: C&D's Three Friars   Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:50 am

MichaelM wrote:
Thomas Tkach wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:

I partly agree, but based on my impressions I wouldn't go so far as to say VA forward.  What I liked most was the balance between the two.  To your point, it is not a burley powerhouse.  The burley is certainly there, but the VA is equally there and neither seem to me to step forward and steal the show.  

aadelma wrote:
I bought a few ounces in bulk a few years ago and try it off and on. They must have spilled the perique jar in my batch, because that is all I taste, and it has a tremendous nic hit. A real pity, because when it was fresh off the truck and the flavors had not yet married, I liked the Va and Burley in there.

I recently tried Virginia Gentleman and get those same flavors without the perique and nic hit, so it's sort of a 3 Friars Lite.

I just tried a different sample and it was more Burley-forward than I remember; pretty evenly balanced actually. I wonder if the it's the same thing with the contents settling unevenly or something. Then again, maybe it's just me remembering wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1

C&D's Three Friars
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: The Tobacco Jar-
Jump to: