HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Pics of your freehands

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Pics of your freehands   Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:14 am

Those of us old enough to remember the early to mid 80's remember the trend towards large pipes. Foremost among this trend were the Danish pipes. Big chunky freehands from folks like Nording, which was a hot marque back then. I never bought one because they were too expensive and I was raising a family at the time. So post some pics your freehands, the bigger the better! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Pics of your freehands   Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:03 pm

Here are a few of mine. The first one is a little over 10 inches long and the bowl stands 3 inches high Wink
Michael Kabik

Bjarne

Christie

Harcourt

Unkown

W. Craig

Nording

Erhlich

JHW
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: Pics of your freehands   Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:27 pm

Yep, the first one would qualify as large! Smile Those are some beautiful pipes Ron.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Pics of your freehands   Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:09 pm

Great showcase there Ron. I'm not much on freehands to smoke, but certainly appreciate their beauty and craftsmanship.

Cool 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Pics of your freehands   Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:28 pm

My only one. Stanwell Rook (crummy cell phone pic)

eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: Pics of your freehands   Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:22 pm

Nice looking Stanwell. Cool I've been looking at them. How does it smoke?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: Pics of your freehands   Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:13 pm

eklektos44 wrote:
Nice looking Stanwell.  Cool I've been looking at them. How does it smoke?

I have about 2 dozen Stanwells at present, all but 4 are made in Denmark, those last 4 are post 2008 when Stanwell closed up shop and moved production to Italy at the Barontini factory, which effectively changed the brand from a classic and outstanding Danish firm to a mere label that outsources and has little to do with it's prior history. Sad, because that prior history had impressive ties to many of the best and most legendary carvers the country had (Ivarsson, Bang, Ilsted, Chonowitsch, Eltang, Julie, and on and on...). The pre 2008 Stanwells were probably the finest affordable factory pipes ever produced, if you want to consider design, engineering and execution as measuring sticks. To be fair, the 4 post 2008 pipes I have smoke fine and are worth the money, and are still better engineered smoking machines than Savinelli and Peterson, IMHO. They are rather generic feeling though and definitely lack the aura and pedigree of their descendants. The Italian line is focused on a small sampling of basic and subdued shapes that are easily executed, which leaves most of the interesting Stanwell catalog shapes (and their designers) in the past.

As for that particular freehand, it is part of the Chess series (king, queen, bishop, rook, etc) of freehands from around 10-15 years ago. My pipe is a 9mm pipe with insert, smokes great, but is rather a large chambered thing (I can fit my whole thumb in it).

About a year ago I began ridding myself of most of my other pipes and began focusing on Stanwell Danish made pipes. I still have a few desired shapes that I want to add, but most of the ones I've always admired I now possess. I need to photograph the collection to share.

Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Pics of your freehands   Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:16 pm

I hate 'em, generally, although some of the above are quite attractive. Here's my only one, made from a kit from Mark Tinsky. The block was cut in such a way that I couldn't make anything else out of it. It's a piece of crap except for one thing: it smokes like a dream. I have toyed with the idea of ebaying it, just for the sport of seeing how much it would bring, but keep backing off. The chamber, which is tapered, is quite small compared with the rest of the pipe. Looks better than this pic, at least from some angles. Stain by Johnston-Murphy, the shoe company.

" />
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

PostSubject: Re: Pics of your freehands   Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:32 pm

Puff Daddy wrote:
eklektos44 wrote:
Nice looking Stanwell.  Cool I've been looking at them. How does it smoke?

I have about 2 dozen Stanwells at present, all but 4 are made in Denmark, those last 4 are post 2008 when Stanwell closed up shop and moved production to Italy at the Barontini factory, which effectively changed the brand from a classic and outstanding Danish firm to a mere label that outsources and has little to do with it's prior history. Sad, because that prior history had impressive ties to many of the best and most legendary carvers the country had (Ivarsson, Bang, Ilsted, Chonowitsch, Eltang, Julie, and on and on...). The pre 2008 Stanwells were probably the finest affordable factory pipes ever produced, if you want to consider design, engineering and execution as measuring sticks. To be fair, the 4 post 2008 pipes I have smoke fine and are worth the money, and are still better engineered smoking machines than Savinelli and Peterson, IMHO. They are rather generic feeling though and definitely lack the aura and pedigree of their descendants. The Italian line is focused on a small sampling of basic and subdued shapes that are easily executed, which leaves most of the interesting Stanwell catalog shapes (and their designers) in the past.

As for that particular freehand, it is part of the Chess series (king, queen, bishop, rook, etc) of freehands from around 10-15 years ago. My pipe is a 9mm pipe with insert, smokes great, but is rather a large chambered thing (I can fit my whole thumb in it).

About a year ago I began ridding myself of most of my other pipes and began focusing on Stanwell Danish made pipes. I still have a few desired shapes that I want to add, but most of the ones I've always admired I now possess. I need to photograph the collection to share.

Cool! Cool Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Pics of your freehands   Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:24 am

My three largest freehands. Smile

AJ

Mauro Armellini:

Edward's:

BenWade (Preben Holm Era):
Back to top Go down
View user profile
smoker13

Registration date : 2016-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Pics of your freehands   Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:44 pm

Cartaphilus (Ron?), you indeed have some impressive freehands, and 3 or 4 are actually beautiful pipes, but the one right after the Double-Bowl number, Can't tell if it's a Christie or a Harcourt, but it's an overall sea-sick green and "carved" with a cleaver, without any grace at all, the stem an ugly thing jabbed into it.  One of the ugliest pipes I think I've seen.  

Thank God that phase passed, I think every other pipe you've shown here  has been a beaut.

I think we can all agree that the category itself is just fraught with invitations to disaster.  I'm surprised that genre has survived into these modern times.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hobie1dog

Registration date : 2010-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Pics of your freehands   Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:57 am

That JHW gave me a woody.

This is my Aaron Beck, there is about 10 different ways to hold the pipe the way with all the grooves cut into it:

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Pics of your freehands
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1