HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Are you a morning or an evening smoker?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Puff Daddy

Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:13 pm

I find that I love a pipe in the early hours with black coffee. I get immense pleasure from slowly puffing on a pipe in the morning, greatly aids in my focus and concentration and enjoyment of the quiet hours. In the evening I'm just too tired to enjoy it and usually give up by mid bowl. I can pick up all kinds of subtle nuances in a blend in the morning but much of that is just lost on me as the day wears on. I thought the nicotine should give me a bit of a boost late in the day but it seems to do nothing for me then.

jhuggett
BoB's Pioneer & Founding Father

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:36 pm

Evening is the best for me. After dinner I sit down in my recliner read/watch tv/surf the internet and smoke my pipe. I usually brew up some tea to go along with it. In fact I think that's the plan for tonight although I am a little worn out.

"Freedom, Security, Convenience: Choose Two"
"For me, I will take freedom over security and I will take security over convenience." ~ Dan Geer
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.brothersofbriar.com
thomas james
Italian Stallion

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:48 pm

I can smoke whenever Momma says, it's her call.

Know what I mean, Vern?

bounce

Last edited by thomas james on Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
free_byrd15

Registration date : 2008-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:50 pm

Def an evening smoker myself
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Centurian 803
Long Arm O' The Law

Registration date : 2008-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:58 pm

thomas james wrote:
I can smoke whenever Momma says, it's her call.

Know what I mean, Vern?

bounce

Do I ever! For me it kinda depends on the work schedule. Evenings are usually best. I hardly ever get to start before 11AM.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Hermit

Registration date : 2008-04-22

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:07 pm

Morning: yes
Evening: yes

(Afternoon too) Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Justpipes
The Duke

Location : Randolph County, NC If you don't know, you wouldn't understand.
Registration date : 2007-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:15 pm

Great topic PD!

Though I enjoy a bowl most anytime of the day, I agree with PD that the very best is the early morning pipe (no pun intended). I thoroughly enjoy my early moring smoke with a cup of coffee more than any other time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.practicegodspresence.com/
Doc Manhattan

Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:14 pm

Any time the mood strikes, of course, but especially after meals. Something about a post-meal pipe is very satisfying to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://tobaccocellar.org/tinlist.php?cellar=808
Natch

Registration date : 2007-12-21

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:40 pm

I can relate to Puff Daddy's preference of morning bowls, as those are often my best as well. SWMBO just rolled over to 10 hour days and with the hour commute, she sets the alarm for 4:00 AM and is out of the house before 5:30 AM. I'm up as soon as the showers free, so basically washed, dried, dressed, and ready to go by 6:00 or so, but my first class isn't until 8:00 on T & Th, and later than that the rest of the week. That gives me a good hour plus to myself as the sun is coming up, so a bowl, a big mug of coffee, and a walk in the woods is almost a ritual. Love to watch the world come alive and scare the hell out of a herd of deer.

But most days I still have a second bowl in the evening with a home-brew or tea. I enjoy it to unwind and think lofty thoughts (I'm an intellectual, you know, so I must leave no thought unthunk geek ).

Natch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:08 pm

Pipes smoke best in the dark.

I smoke at any given time day or night but they always taste better when the sun isn't up.

You yahoos are in bed, no chance of anyone calling. Just me, the highway, and some tunes playing low... That me amigos is the definition of a good smoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikem
The Coordinator

Registration date : 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:16 am

During work days I'm mainly an afternoon (if nothing going on at work I'll smoke a bowl during a break) or evening time, either on the way home from work (I don't get out of work until 6:30 pm) or after dinner. On my days off I usually will catch a bowl in the morning and smoke throughout the day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Puffy

Registration date : 2007-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:54 am

A bowl in the morning,and three or four in the evening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Winslow

Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:18 am

Rarely until after dinner,nasal snuff in the morning and throughout the day.
I sniff a few grams of snuff daily and 2-3 pipes at night. Smile

Winslow sunny
Back to top Go down
View user profile
briarbrian
Mr.Sandblast

Registration date : 2008-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:43 am

Usually I start in the afternoon, sometimes in the morning but I'm not usually up in the morning cause I make pipes at night. Thats when I do most of my smoking in the wee hrs. which is night for some and early morning for others!LOL

Brian
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.briarart.com

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:34 am

Monday thru Friday, smoke in my car for the commute home.
Saturday and Sunday, whenever the mood hits and I have time.
"but never at dusk"(for Steve Martin fans)
on Brothers.
Back to top Go down
m2j3t6

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:48 am

With the old job it was evenings only during the week and on weekends a morning and evening pipe with an occasional afternoon pipe. With the new job my schedule is so erratic I normally smoke when I can. If left to my own devices I love an early morning pipe. After dinner is also a favorite time. I just love to smoke a pipe anytime really. So many pipes and tobaccos and so little time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:50 am

I smoke all day
In the mornings usually a pipe and black coffee as I watch the sun come up

At night in the quiet just before bed with a cool drink and listen to the night sounds it makes for a good nights sleep
Back to top Go down
Trout Bum

Registration date : 2008-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:46 am

Great thread... I smoke in the morning, sometimes in the car on the way up to Crested Butte, and often in the evenings. By far, I have hit "pipe nirvana" most often in the mornings, with coffee and NPR. Something about that "early morning pipe," to be sure!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
adauria

Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:15 pm

I am mostly an evening smoker in the warmer weather, but now that the cold is upon us I take what I can get. That means more afternoon smokes. I do enjoy a morning smoke with my coffee on a Saturday in the summer out in the screen room, however... there is just something about getting the day started that way that is marvelous.

-Andrew
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:23 pm

Depends on the weather & temps! Warmer times of the year, I start in the morning (love that a.m. pipe and coffee!!) & smoke anytime I go outside. This time of year, I work my bowls around the temps; lately we have had absolutely gorgeous weather & temps for so late into November! Later on, and into early next year, the bowls will be fewer and farther apart! FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Benjamin Button

Registration date : 2008-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:29 pm

I wish I could be up early enough (or actually had time in the morning) to have a pipe before work. My seven year old is up way before me each morning (he was up at 5 today) and if his mom or I are awake, there is no such thing as quiet time.

I usually only get to smoke late at night when everyone is asleep, otherwise I am self conscious of the smoke even though the boy has only commented on the smoke one time and it was from a heavy VA. I try not to smoke around him much anyway unless we are out for a walk or I can open a door or window in the house.

How do others deal with pipe smoking and having younger children around? I'd rather educate mine on pipe smoking rather than have him think that it is a dirty habit and try to hide it from him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:08 pm

Benjamin Button wrote:
I wish I could be up early enough (or actually had time in the morning) to have a pipe before work. My seven year old is up way before me each morning (he was up at 5 today) and if his mom or I are awake, there is no such thing as quiet time.

I usually only get to smoke late at night when everyone is asleep, otherwise I am self conscious of the smoke even though the boy has only commented on the smoke one time and it was from a heavy VA. I try not to smoke around him much anyway unless we are out for a walk or I can open a door or window in the house.

How do others deal with pipe smoking and having younger children around? I'd rather educate mine on pipe smoking rather than have him think that it is a dirty habit and try to hide it from him.

Same situation with me, I've got a 5 & a 7 yr old as well as a wife who used to chain smoke cigs. (but now any tobacco smoke really bothers her, she quit 12+ yrs ago). I can't smoke in the house at all, so use my workshop (not heated-yet) or go outside when at home. Can't smoke in the morning cause I'm hauling the kids to school, wife picks up the kids, so it's a pipefull for the commute home.
Back to top Go down
m2j3t6

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:02 pm

My kids are both grown but when they were younger I did smoke around them except when they were pre-toddlers. I don't create a large volume of smoke. I'm basically a smolder smoker. My wife is very allergic to cigarette smoke but the pipe does not bother her at all except for heavy latakia. I smoke only VA's now and have for fifteen plus years. I get to smoke in the house. cheers I seldom smoke in the car when my wife is present but on occasion I will with the window open being mindful not to blow smoke her way. My daughter is a non-smoker but loves the smell of MC #1 in the tin. When I would open a tin she used to take a big whiff and say Ah!! She is not as fond of the tin aroma of the Rattray's VA's I smoke now and didn't hesitate to tell me latakia stunk when I did smoke it. As far as the VA's, she doth not protest either. I'm a lucky man and my pipe runneth over king
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Benjamin Button

Registration date : 2008-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:08 pm

EJinVA wrote:

Same situation with me, I've got a 5 & a 7 yr old as well as a wife who used to chain smoke cigs. (but now any tobacco smoke really bothers her, she quit 12+ yrs ago). I can't smoke in the house at all, so use my workshop (not heated-yet) or go outside when at home. Can't smoke in the morning cause I'm hauling the kids to school, wife picks up the kids, so it's a pipefull for the commute home.

Pipe smoking is something of a solitary hobby for me, unless I am around other pipe smokers. I try to find those moments when I can just kick back and relax, but as I am sure you know having kids, those moments are few and far between. Once we buy a house, the only way I sign is if I can have my own "man's room". Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SmokeyTweed

Registration date : 2008-10-13

PostSubject: Re: Are you a morning or an evening smoker?   Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:12 pm

I would say when i have a day-off i'm usually an afternoon smoker. I grab a rich(in price and taste) coffee and head down to our trendy hangout strip and sit on a park bench and watch the shoppers and families and pets that constantly walk by.

If i couldn't enjoy people watching i'd have to move back home to the sticks. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Are you a morning or an evening smoker?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next