HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 
 

 Equipment Question

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Crafty



Location : North Alabama
Registration date : 2013-09-07

PostSubject: Equipment Question   Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:20 pm

So, what kind of power tools do you use for making your pipes? For myself I use a nice Drill Press, a 1x42 plus 8" Rikon disc/belt sander, and a dremmel for all of my pipe shaping. I have a regular wood lathe but don't have the extended jaws I've seen most use so I have never turned a pipe. I just use the first 3 items and eyeball all my pipes. What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin
avatar

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Question   Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:23 pm

I've tried twice at crafting a pipe using drill press and sander.

I think the eyeball is the most important thing.

Judging from the looks of my two pipes my eyeballs are screwed up. geek

_________________
.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cartaphilus

avatar

Age : 64
Location : East Texas
Registration date : 2011-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Question   Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:57 pm

I use a metal lathe, stand mount sanding disk motor (for the lack of better words) buffer, Band saw, 1-1/2" belt sander, and a Dremel type motor with flex shaft.
Oh! and a good shop vac to clean up the mess.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Ozark Wizard

avatar

Age : 54
Location : Mark Twain National Forest, MO
Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Question   Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:07 pm

Most of the tools I use are 18 volt Dewalt cordless, Sawsall to harvest the raw material, drill to drill, a dremmel type tool, and a lot of hand sanding.

Would love a lathe.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

avatar

Age : 69
Location : East of the Rocky Mountains
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Question   Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:10 pm

Crafty wrote:
So, what kind of power tools do you use for making your pipes? What a Face


Whatever Todd Harris has in his shop. He makes all of my custom pipes. Just being a SA again. 5)

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

avatar

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Question   Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:00 pm

I have only made practice bowls but when I start making pipes, I'm sure I will use the same tools that I use for my tampers:
Drill press
Band Saw
Dremel

I have also recently been told there is a lathe attachment for drill presses. You can be darn sure that I will be looking into that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thomas Tkach

avatar

Age : 31
Location : North Dakota
Registration date : 2010-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Question   Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:58 pm

mark wrote:
I've tried twice at crafting a pipe using drill press and sander.

I think the eyeball is the most important thing.

Judging from the looks of my two pipes my eyeballs are screwed up. geek

Actually, if you stick your finger in a pipe and twist it around so your thumb runs along the outside, you can find places where it's not perfectly round. Sometimes it helps to use more than your eyes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://www.youtube.com/user/tkachta1
i.keenum

avatar

Age : 28
Location : coast of mississippi
Registration date : 2011-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Question   Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:46 am

Depends on how steady your hands are. I only have have a dremel and files and sandpaper and this is may last one. Best option is to get as much bulk off as safely as you can then move to hand tools. Hand tools are slow but easier to not make mistakes. Better you get the closer you can get to the final shape before going to hand tools. I find it makes it a lot easier if you pick a pipe you already have and try to use it as a model, that way you can compare and take a little more off, compare take a little more off, and on and on till your happy with the result.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://ian.keenum@gmail.com
kaitlyn3837

avatar

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Equipment Question   Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:58 pm

i.keenum wrote:
Depends on how steady your hands are. I only have have a dremel and files and sandpaper and this is may last one. Best option is to get as much bulk off as safely as you can then move to hand tools. Hand tools are slow but easier to not make mistakes. Better you get the closer you can get to the final shape before going to hand tools. I find it makes it a lot easier if you pick a pipe you already have and try to use it as a model, that way you can compare and take a little more off, compare take a little more off, and on and on till your happy with the result.


I like that! Well done!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Equipment Question
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: