HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Refubishing an Estate Medico Gold Crest Billiard

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Refubishing an Estate Medico Gold Crest Billiard   Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:55 pm

Hi folks,

Here's my latest estate refurb - a Medico Gold Crest Billiard that I got as part of an estate pipe lot on ebay last week. This was a relatively simple job, as the pipe was in good physical condition, but it was DIRTY! Actually had cobwebs in the pipe bowl! Shocked Laughing Shocked

Here are a few before and after pics. I wrote the entire refurb up on my blog, which you can read here:

Medic Gold Crest Refurb on DadsPipes

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by ontariopiper on Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Refubishing an Estate Medico Gold Crest Billiard   Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:06 pm

WOW! That turned out great!! Good job sir.

cheers 

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com
Sid.Stavros

Registration date : 2015-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Refubishing an Estate Medico Gold Crest Billiard   Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:09 pm

Congratulations for your work! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://pipe-smoke.blogspot.gr/
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Refubishing an Estate Medico Gold Crest Billiard   Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:11 pm

Thanks gents! I had fun doing this one. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Refubishing an Estate Medico Gold Crest Billiard   Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:52 pm

Great job. I see you discovered some hidden birdseye under all that dirt. Good on ya! Just a little digging and you found gold. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Refubishing an Estate Medico Gold Crest Billiard   Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:50 pm

Another great refurb! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Refubishing an Estate Medico Gold Crest Billiard   Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:07 pm

Thanks everyone. I do enjoy fnding birdeye under years of dirt!

Here's a question. The stem on this pipe doesn't seem to be vulcanite. It feels sfter in the mouth and doesn't polish up as easily. You can see in the pics that there are still marks on the stem I didn't manage to get out.

Any guesses? Might it be nylon??
Back to top Go down
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Refubishing an Estate Medico Gold Crest Billiard   Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Very nice work indeed!

I have two Kaywoodies I bought new in the '70s that have stems that don't seem to be normal vulcanite and have more of a soft/rubbery feel so maybe it's the same stuff? Anyway I have no idea what the material might be. What ever it is it doesn't seem to be as prone to oxidation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

PostSubject: Re: Refubishing an Estate Medico Gold Crest Billiard   Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:52 pm

RobJ wrote:
Very nice work indeed!

I have two Kaywoodies I bought new in the '70s that have stems that don't seem to be normal vulcanite and have more of a soft/rubbery feel so maybe it's the same stuff? Anyway I have no idea what the material might be. What ever it is it doesn't seem to be as prone to oxidation.

RJ - I had noticed the lack of oxidation on this stem. We may indeed have the same material in common.

I'm going to pick up some Micromesh pads and give them a try. I'd like to complete this refurb with a nice shiny stem ;-) The pipe is of course functional now but I'd like good looking too! :-D
Back to top Go down
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Refubishing an Estate Medico Gold Crest Billiard   Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:51 pm

ontariopiper wrote:
Thanks everyone. I do enjoy fnding birdeye under years of dirt!

Here's a question.  The stem on this pipe doesn't seem to be vulcanite. It feels sfter in the mouth and doesn't polish up as easily. You can see in the pics that there are still marks on the stem I didn't manage to get out.

Any guesses? Might it be nylon??

That Weber Streamliner that riffraff restored for me had a similar stem, but the pipe itself is quality briar. I am planning on sending it to LL to see if he can duplicate the stem with logo. I love the nostalgic look of that pipe so much, I won't hesitate to drop the coin to have a vulcanite stem made for it.

If it is plastic or nylon, some of that polish made for headlight lenses might be just the ticket if you don't want a replacement. Seems if that stuff can polish a clear plastic lens, it should polish up that black stem nicely. I dunno.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Refubishing an Estate Medico Gold Crest Billiard
Page 1 of 1