A new commission

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

A new commission Empty
PostSubject: A new commission   A new commission EmptySat Aug 15, 2015 7:46 pm

Went to meet a client to show him some various wizard pipes (churchwardens) this morning. Some with nifty boxes, some with fur sleeves, others. As soon as he saw an 18 inch black walnut he picked it up, loaded it and began smoking.

That was easy..........

THEN, he drew me a picture of something he wants me to carve out for him. It is a simple conceptual, and I get it, just never seen a pipe that bent, nor have my searches come up with anything similar. How I will be able to bend a wood stem two directions in such a short distance is something for me to ponder.....

Anyone out there have thoughts or directions?

A new commission Snapsh10
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

A new commission Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new commission   A new commission EmptySat Aug 15, 2015 7:54 pm

I would drill it and shove a aluminum tube or rod down through it and try steaming the Dickens out of it while bending it. Of course you'll have to make a form for it to hold the bend while it cools.
I haven't a clue what wood could be used for the stem that would bend easiest. Although you could use an Acrylic or some other type plastic as your stem and just a bit of heat with a pipe cleaner down the hole will do the trick, cooling it in water once the bend is achieved. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

A new commission Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new commission   A new commission EmptySat Aug 15, 2015 8:01 pm

A tube would be good, as extraction might be an issue once the wood was bent. Thought about laminating strips together with a slot in the middle, and then applying a dark stain. I mentioned plastic or acrylic, and he declined. I like the tube idea.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

A new commission Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new commission   A new commission EmptySat Aug 15, 2015 8:05 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
A tube would be good, as extraction might be an issue once the wood was bent. Thought about laminating strips together with a slot in the middle, and then applying a dark stain. I mentioned plastic or acrylic, and he declined. I like the tube idea.

Thanks!

You could also fill it with sand, that'll be even easier to get out. I've seen the two halves thing done on a smaller scale but, don't see why it wouldn't work on a longer one.
I don't know how Bamboo reacts to steam but, it would look good and keep with the looks of the pipe also. Just throwing a few ideas out there. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Crafty

Registration date : 2013-09-06

A new commission Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new commission   A new commission EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 10:25 am

I believe I would go with a laminate and slot. Benefits would be that it would be stronger due to the laminate layers and also you can play around with various wood grains to give you a different look. If you decided to go with a 1 piece stem ash, white oak, hickory and beech all bend well. Filling the tube with sand will limit cracks and crushed parts during the bending process. Cut a mold from a 2 x of appropriate size. Once steamed you will need to work fast with the forming/clamping. I've done some bending during furniture making.
Back to top Go down
AJ

AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

A new commission Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new commission   A new commission EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 11:05 am

If you use an Ebonite or acrylic rod I think you could run a length of twist clothesline wire through it and then heat and bend the rod to the desired shape. I believe the diameter of the clothesline wire would be just about right. When it cools just pull the twisted wire out. Just another idea. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

A new commission Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new commission   A new commission EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 11:23 am

All great input guys, Thanks so much...

I'll play with some of these ideas and keep you posted....
Back to top Go down

A new commission
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: