HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Jim's Mississippi River Review.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Jim's Mississippi River Review.   Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:47 pm

The red Virginia is tangy, dark fruit sweet with a little earth, rather McClelland-like in that there’s a very mild barbeque flavor present at the beginning. The stoved Virginias have a fermented sugary fruitiness. The perique offers some spice with raisin and fig notes. The Cyprian latakia is an important supporting player, adding a sweet smoky woodiness that is obvious in every puff. The Oriental is also a minor player, not always detectable, but it is woody with a slight sour hit here and there. Presented in an easily broken apart krumble cake, it may need a little dry time. Burns slow and clean, requires some relights, and has a consistent, complex, rich and creamy smooth sweet taste to the finish. Leaves just a little moisture in the bowl. Has a very pleasant after taste and room note.

Some smokers have complained that the newer production, which is made by a different company than it first was, is not as good as the original. In comparing the 2011 version versus the 2015 several times in back to back smokes, I taste very few minor differences, e.g., the red Virginia is more prominent with less of the McClelland notes at the beginning, the perique seems to occasionally be a shade more noticeable in the new manufacture. I don’t see any of that worth complaining about, and the two versions are certainly not night and day different. In this instance, I think the power of suggestion over rides the taste buds of those smokers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eklektos44

Registration date : 2015-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Mississippi River Review.   Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:49 am

Thanks for the review Jim. I haven't smoked this in a while, but your review makes me want to get some soon! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Mississippi River Review.   Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:40 am

Thanks for another informative and well written review. I've been meaning to try this one for awhile and it's on "the list" now.

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Mississippi River Review.   Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:28 am

Another fine review Jim! This sounds like a blend I would want to keep in regular rotation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cadfael

Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Mississippi River Review.   Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:13 pm

Great review. But IMO it should have been called Mississippi River Bottom. Just didn't do anything for me. Maybe I need to try it in another pipe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Mississippi River Review.   Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:01 am

Nice review, Jim. Think I might break out some of my jarred Mississippi River tonight! I enjoy comparing my tasting notes next to Jim's, see if I can catch those sweet subtle nuances.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Mississippi River Review.   Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:33 am

The review of this tobacco by JimInks is spot on. I had never smoked any of this until last week. My friend Chris (DrumsAndBeer) sent me a sample and after several bowls I find the OP hit the nail on the head. It's a great smoke. I think it fortunate that I hadn't smoked the earlier vesion so there's no chance with me being disappointed with this blend. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Mississippi River Review.   Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:13 am

AJ, Just for reference, The sample I sent you is about 3 years old. So you may be the earlier version. Wink I don't know for certain though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Jim's Mississippi River Review.   Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:33 am

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
AJ, Just for reference, The sample I sent you is about 3 years old. So you may be the earlier version.  Wink I don't know for certain though.

Whichever one it was I like it. Surely hope it is from the current mix. bounce

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Jim's Mississippi River Review.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1