HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Kyle

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
George Kaplan

Registration date : 2012-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:15 pm

Lol nope. The old Airstream was left behind in the UP. I'm back in Kalamazoo now, pleased to find 3 new brewpubs within walking distance ofy house. Also Arcadia Ales built a new place downtown right across the river from Bell's. Then there's Dark Horse, Founders, and New Holland all short drives away. Yep. Land of Good Beer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:35 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
Lol nope. The old Airstream was left behind in the UP. I'm back in Kalamazoo now, pleased to find 3 new brewpubs within walking distance ofy house. Also Arcadia Ales built a new place downtown right across the river from Bell's. Then there's Dark Horse, Founders, and New Holland all short drives away. Yep. Land of Good Beer.

Sounds pretty good to me. Rock on George!

cyclops

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:38 pm

For a moment I thought I read it wrong, but, yup, you are in the land of good beer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:19 pm

Good to see you back George !! I always enjoyed your responses to many postings. made one THINK !! Twisted Evil Hope to see more !! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:26 pm

Good to hear from you George.

I agree with Rande (and you) Bell's is great. I had a Two-Hearted a while back. Seriously good beer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:32 am

Michael, D&B, good to hear from you too. Ozark, pleasure to meet you, sir. I considered Two-Hearted tonight, but locally it's considered bad form to drink it until autumn. As long as I'm using Kyle's thread to catch up with you guys, I might as well do some bragging. I just kissed Rachel Price's hand! Normally I'm not that kinda guy, but she offered it and it seemed the thing to do at the time. She said she liked my mustache. I think I blushed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:24 am

Lake Street Dive does the best performance of 'I want you back' that I have ever heard... Ms Price is golden.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:36 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
I just kissed Rachel Price's hand! Normally I'm not that kinda guy, but she offered it and it seemed the thing to do at the time. She said she liked my mustache. I think I blushed.

Lucky you!

Love her voice. Great depth, smoky.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:11 pm

After hearing her up close and personal I'm convinced she's one of the best vocalists in the business right now. Classy young lady, too. I thanked her for coming to Kalamazoo and she thanked me for the invitation and held out her hand. She was reaching over a fence, making it awkward for a handshake, so I kissed it instead. She seemed genuinely charmed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:18 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
Hey RR. Good to hear from you. I'm back in the Land of Good Beer now. (SW Michigan) Actually off to Bell's brewery tonight to see Lake Street Dive perform. You should check em out on YouTube if you don't know them

Hey George, just checked out the vid Dutch posted on the Music forum. Good stuff. I can see why you enjoy Lake Street Dive, including and especially Rachel Prices' vocals. Must've been a fantastic performance.

Cool

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:21 pm

It's almost funny. We've become so used to the auto-tune princess' that when we hear an actual vocalist we just gush over them like little school boys and girls.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:29 pm

Yep. I won't deny it. I'm a gushing little schoolboy right now and probably will be for as long as these four are making music. Takes a lot to break me out of my jaded grumpiness, though, and they've got what it takes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:15 pm

Before auto tune that gushiness is what propelled record sells...

Same thing with the music behind the singer... In days gone by a guitarist understood his guitar. What woods and pick ups produced the sound he wanted. What pedals would do.. Etc.  now it's just program it into a board and let the computer fix it.

The problem is most people either don't know or don't care that this stuff is going on.  Now a tight arse sells more records than a tight band. Well more correctly sells more singles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:49 pm

There's music, and there's the music business. Unfortunately, the two have very little to do with one another these days. Most of the dreck we hear these days is the music business version of music.

I was just thinking about auto tune today as I was driving around. Makes everything sound the same. Buu.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:55 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Before auto tune that gushiness is what propelled record sells...

Same thing with the music behind the singer... In days gone by a guitarist understood his guitar. What woods and pick ups produced the sound he wanted. What pedals would do.. Etc.  now it's just program it into a board and let the computer fix it.

The problem is most people either don't know or don't care that this stuff is going on.  Now a tight arse sells more records than a tight band. Well more correctly sells more singles.

PB, yep Joe Walsh summed it up in an interview he did awhile back.....

Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:09 pm

Right on, all of you. Ironically, when I first discovered this stripped-down, very talented quartet a few years ago it was the first time in 7 or 8 years that I felt like going out and buying am album or two.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mark
Admin

Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:28 pm

Dutch wrote:

Joe Walsh summed it up in an interview he did awhile back.....

Exactly, the mojo is gone. Sad

Sometimes I wake up grumpy. Other times I let her sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
George Kaplan

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:21 pm

Just had a funny thought. Say Kyle finally decides to lurk a bit. He finds a thread with his name on it right at the top of the column. Heartwarmed, he clicks to see what the brothers are saying about him, only to find three pages of Kaplan spouting off about music and beer.
I miss Kyle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:16 pm

George Kaplan wrote:
Just had a funny thought. Say Kyle finally decides to lurk a bit. He finds a thread with his name on it right at the top of the column. Heartwarmed, he clicks to see what the brothers are saying about him, only to find three pages of Kaplan spouting off about music and beer.
I miss Kyle.

I think he'd heartily approve! cheers

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:02 am

Who is Kyle?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:42 am

Kyle Broflovski???
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:52 am

That one certainly got a giggle out of me. Welcome back George, good to hear from you again. By the way, press the link back to the normall/desktop site and you'll get BoB in its full glory instead of having to deal with the crappy mobile version.

Cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:19 am

puros_bran wrote:
Who is Kyle?

PB, Kyle is a gentleman, a scholar, a Renaissance man, a writer who excels at premium tobacco reviews, and is also a self taught curmudgeon, with no formal training. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kyle Weiss

Registration date : 2011-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:52 pm

Christ, even topics with my name in them never seem to stay on-topic. Laughing

Kyle is the uckin' fasshole who never posts anymore (why should he--13K, what more needs to be said? Laughing ) hardly lurks, and yet has a close network of brothers who still let me know when I need to pop by and check in.

The updates are these, for those who need to be caught up:

1) I'm alright. Broke, busy and stressed, but alright.

2) I moved in May, I went from a dumpy little apartment to a dumpy little house. I sit in shitty plastic chairs, enjoy my pipes once a while, throw rocks at pigeons eating my sunflowers, feed hummingbirds and live the white trash dream. It also means none of you have my new address and can't send me pipes and tobacco any more. I find that hilarious. flower

3) I quit one of my two cook jobs. That means I'm still catering, and happily so. Our crew jokes about how we're the "marines of culinary," because we work 15 hour shifts, set-up/tear-down entire gourmet kitchens in remote locations, feed 300 people--rain, shine, day, night, whatever. Which is why I ditched the line cook crap. I'd rather sous for fun and real work than be a food assembly robot.

4) I'm trying desperately to get the mining project I was once working on from folding under. Investors are clutching their coinpurses tightly and that means no work for guys like me. Same old story, as it has been in the industry for hundreds of years. It'll be the last project I likely ever work on because my father is getting too old to do this shit, and it's our last hurrah. Send some investors my way. Not kidding. We don't need much.

5) In lieu of the line cook job, I was recently hired at the Tinder Box in Reno. Job openings there are rare, as it's a sweet gig. I jumped at the opportunity. 25 hours a week, in and amongst catering, I peddle cigars, refurbish pipes, fill bags of tobacco to happy pipe customers, old and new. It's a far cry of the stress of a cook's line, and the clientele are wonderful, grouchy, intelligent and occasionally have good taste. I get free stuff to try, take home a can of GL Pease each week, and on slow days even watch a baseball game with a stick or briar in my hand. Same pay as a cook, different world. I'm diggin' it. While I humbly and perhaps incorrectly don't consider myself a "tobacconist" or even an "expert" quite yet, I'm the next best thing. I have all of you to thank for that--the debates, jokes, learning, experience, bombs, samples and techniques gave me a job. 13,000 posts written and even more read--not wasted, I guess.

That's it on this end, until next I post. I'll leave the thread back to George again. cheers

Laughing

Much love, bros.

Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

PostSubject: Re: Kyle   Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:48 pm

So Kyle, is it safe to assume that you consider the BoB forums a tobacco university of sorts?

Congrats on your new job, I think I might possibly be a little envious of a guy who gets to take home a free tin of GL Pease every week. Heck, some months, that equates to 5 tins!

I wouldn't let losing a few sunflower seeds bother me. Your pigeons don't have a thing on Rande's bat's and wasps. At least your pigeons are outside the house! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Kyle
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next