HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Sourcing a Tapered Repair Band??

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Sourcing a Tapered Repair Band??   Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:10 pm

Hi folks. I've been working on another estate refurb/restoration and have hit a speed bump. The pipe in question had suffered a broken shank - a chip about the size of my little fingernail had broken out off the mortise end of the shank.

I've glued the chip back into place, and want to band the shank to make sure the repair lasts. My digital caliper tells me the shank is 13.4mm at the stem end, and widens to about 15.5mm at the bottom of the repair area. I've searched several online repair parts vendors (pipemakers, jhlowe) but cannot find a tapered band.

Is this a wild goose chase? Will a straight band stretch enough to fit without tearing or popping off?

Any advice or direction from you more experienced restorers would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
alsmith52

Registration date : 2015-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Sourcing a Tapered Repair Band??   Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:48 pm

I have noticed that a lot of bands are slightly tapered to begin with- you can slide one end on but not the other. I think I have some definite tapered ones. How long does it need to be? Al
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ontariopiper

Registration date : 2015-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Sourcing a Tapered Repair Band??   Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:37 pm

alsmith52 wrote:
I have noticed that a lot of bands are slightly tapered to begin with- you can slide one end on but not the other. I think I have some definite tapered ones. How long does it need to be? Al

Hi Al. Thanks for jumping in! I've remeasured the shank. Pics are below. The taper starts at 13.46mm and increases to 15.35mm at roughly the bottom of the repair. A band 14mm long would cover the entire repair nicely.

If you've got a band (or a few bands) that might do the job here, PM me and we'll work something out. Very Happy

Cheers!

Charles
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.dadspipes.com
alsmith52

Registration date : 2015-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Sourcing a Tapered Repair Band??   Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:03 pm

the few tapered bands that I have are 22mm+ and vintage . So they used to be made , but are they made today? I don't know
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Sourcing a Tapered Repair Band??
Page 1 of 1