HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

thinking of trying Peterson blends again.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
tarheel7734

Registration date : 2014-10-16

PostSubject: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:14 am

Irish oak was my first real tobacco I tried way back in 99. I have not tried any of the Peterson blends since. I have forgoten how it was but had fond memories of the tobacco. I am thinking of trying a few of their non aromatic blends including Irish Oak, Old Dublin, Balkan Delight, and Sherlock Holmes. I would love to hear your experiences with any of these. I tend to veer towards English blends and va/per blends right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
taharris

Registration date : 2011-11-10

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:09 am

I found Sherlock Holmes to be somewhat disappointing.

Old Dublin is a very nice Lat. blend.

University Flake (Va/Bu with light berry topping) and Irish Flake (strong Bu blend) are also fantastic blends.

Enjoy.

Todd
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.wix.com/taharris/turningsbytodd

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:58 am

Balkan Delight, contrary to what the name suggests, has no ORs in it; it's just VAs and LAs and it's fairly good.
Back to top Go down
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:25 am

Been a good long time since I smoked any Lat' blends but Old Dublin was an exceptionally good smoke as I recall for the ol'Lat' blends from Peterson.

Irish Oak is absolutely sublime, never ever fails to provide an excellent and satisfying smoke, don't be fooled by the Cavendish or the Sherry in the mix, neither are really noticeable at all, just an beautifully well balanced Va/Per.

If you're into a bit of some Old Skool Va smokes then you have got to get into Petersons 3p's plug tobacco, okay so it has some Burley in the mix but not enough to take away from the Va, it is a very Old Skool flavour profile and not one many chaps younger than yourself will be able to appreciate but I reckon you will 'get it'. It tastes of what it is, tobacco, but it is a wonderfully satisfying smoke, one I highly recommend.

Damn, now I really want a smoke, enjoy the journey Buddy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lestrout

Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:07 am

Yo tar

Yup - Old Dublin is certainly one of my high rankers in my Top200 Cellar. Balkan Delight is pretty good too. Last weekend at the New York Pipe Club picnic, romeowood brought some pouches (!) of new Pete blends, and the Wild Atlantic was an excellent English/Balkan - rich but still lighter than OD.

hp
les
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:01 pm

3P's, Irish Flake, and University Square are all quite good!

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Haven't tried University Flake although it's been on my list for a long while, but I always enjoy smoking Irish Flake & 3p's Plug. I'll be interested to try both of these again now that Mac Baren is making them. I didn't care for Irish Oak, but then again the last time I smoked it I was also smoking quite a bit of Long Golden Flake, and to my taste every VaBurPer pales in comparison to that weed..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deathmetal

Registration date : 2015-08-26

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:36 am

I enjoyed Irish Oak. Both stronger in flavor and more idiosyncratic than most Va/Pers, it's a lovely smoke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.deathmetal.org/
aadelma

Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:23 am

I consider Irish Flake to be the iconic Peterson smoke. Strong yet tasteful. The Ernest Hemingway of tobaccos.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:43 am

aadelma wrote:
I consider Irish Flake to be the iconic Peterson smoke. Strong yet tasteful. The Ernest Hemingway of tobaccos.

Irish Flake is a fine smoke for sure yet if I were to place one above the others I would personally opt for 3 P's, then again I am a huge fan of plug tobaccos.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
deathmetal

Registration date : 2015-08-26

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:58 pm

Irish Oak is a grower. It seems OK, then blah-blah, then all of the nuances emerge. IT'S THE NUANCES, MAN!

Can't wait to try the Irish Flake. It sounds like death with steely eyes, but flavorful. Rock on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.deathmetal.org/
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:15 am

tarheel7734 wrote:
Irish oak was my first real tobacco I  tried way back in 99. I have not tried any of the Peterson blends since. I have forgoten how it was but had fond memories of the tobacco. I am thinking of trying a few of their non aromatic blends including Irish Oak, Old Dublin,  Balkan Delight, and Sherlock Holmes. I would love to hear your experiences with any of these. I tend to veer towards English blends and va/per blends right now.

I've smoked several of Peterson's blends including the ones you mention. I can't think of any blend offerd by Peterson that I'd try again. I didn't like any of them but Sherlock Holmes was the better of all the blends to me. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Fr_Tom

Registration date : 2013-05-29

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:47 am

I have had Sherlock Holmes, University Flake, Irish Flake and Hyde Park. They were all good smokes but not the sort of things I would stock.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/14371
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:32 pm

Irish Flake is probably my favorite of the bunch but the balance is way off. It's like they went for power for powers sake... Nits like smoking a 65 ring double ligero.

I prefer strong but the flavored need to be balanced.. I hate to sound like a salesmen for them but Gawith Hoggarth & Co Dark Flake scented it otherwise is a far superior specimen of that genre at a very comparable price.

I like University flake for about half a tin, then that topping gets tiresome to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:22 pm

puros_bran wrote:
Irish Flake is probably my favorite of the bunch but the balance is way off.  It's like they went for power for powers sake...  Nits like smoking a 65 ring double ligero.

I prefer strong but the flavored need to be balanced.. I hate to sound like a salesmen for them but Gawith Hoggarth & Co Dark Flake scented it otherwise is a far superior specimen of that genre at a very comparable price.

I like University flake for about half a tin, then that topping gets tiresome to me.

Yes, to the above. Could have not said it better myself.

I used to like Old Dublin back when I was into Lat blends. Also remember having Irish Whisky and liking it, but that was many moons ago. I do have a tin of Perfect Plug around somewhere that I need to ferret out and try.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:09 pm

Not so sure I would go along with being offensive toward those who enjoy a stronger blend of tobacco, enjoying a strong nicotine level in your smoke doesn't make one a nit, not in my books that's for sure.

There are a heap of blends which have been made weak for the sake of being weak, what is so wrong with making a blend strong for the sake of being strong, personally if I don't get a good wallop from Lady-N that tobacco gets a fail in my books.

Not that I go out of my way to score me a good nicotine fix, personally I just don't get along with weak blends, from my own perspective I don't see the point to them but that is just my own personal take on it.

A lot of folk really enjoy weak tobacco blends and I most certainly wouldn't look down on them just because they can't handle a strong tobacco, different strokes for different folks, I see no need to be calling folk names just because of they personal preferences in tobacco strength.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:15 pm

I know you said you were wanting to stay away from their aros, but I've have to say that I've really quite enjoyed P's Connoisseur's Choice.

I was over in West Wales last weekend with my family and friends. As he is a ciggy smoker I suggested he tried the briar and last year graced him with one to get him started. This was a big deal for me; I was about to have a smoking partner. Anyway, back to last weekend and as usual I provided the baccy and in this case I slid a nearly finished tin of Connoisseur's Choice across the table. Up till that point I'd not been on the receiving end, but the moment I smelt the room note I decided right there that I would be replacing that tin real soon. The smoke itself is very satisfying too. Flavoursome but not overly sweet.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:40 pm

I don't think anyone is calling anyone names here Kirk mate. If you're referring to peebees post with the "Nits'", I feel he just mistakenly hit the "N" button on the word "it's". If you read his posts he frequently gets an extra letter in occasionally, but so do lots of folks around here. Not to knock on him, but many of us don't proof our posts, nor do they go back and edit them after. I'm quite sure no offense was intended.

And then there's the issue of words that can be misinterpreted from country to country, region to region, etc. You get the idea.

And you'll already be well familiar with my issue with nic. Some folks can handle it better than I. Me, not so much. And I've made that quite plain here on BoB. Equally, I don't disparage anyone that can.

OK, I'll shove a sock in it now.............

Neutral 

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com Online
SpeedyPete

Registration date : 2011-01-28

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:26 am

Irish Oak is my go to, everyday tobacco.

I also smoke Old Dublin, Nutty Cut, Irish Whiskey (only when I can't find IO), Irish Flake

I've tried all the other blends but the above are my favourites.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:09 am

Brewdude wrote:
I don't think anyone is calling anyone names here Kirk mate. If you're referring to peebees post with the "Nits'", I feel he just mistakenly hit the "N" button on the word "it's". If you read his posts he frequently gets an extra letter in occasionally, but so do lots of folks around here. Not to knock on him, but many of us don't proof our posts, nor do they go back and edit them after. I'm quite sure no offense was intended.

And then there's the issue of words that can be misinterpreted from country to country, region to region, etc. You get the idea.

And you'll already be well familiar with my issue with nic. Some folks can handle it better than I. Me, not so much. And I've made that quite plain here on BoB. Equally, I don't disparage anyone that can.

OK, I'll shove a sock in it now.............

Neutral 

Cheers,

RR

Point taken there Rande, my stance is not in just that scenario regarding the term nits being used, just the whole area of some folk looking oddly at others just because of their preferences, the whole business gets on my nerves. One so often sees Aro' lovers getting pounded or OTC lovers getting ribbed or those with low tolerance getting needled, it just really gets my goat up folk not being able to just let others be to enjoy what they enjoy.

No doubt I took that personally, I do rather prefer a much stronger Lady-N wallop and have had folk rib me for it in the past in my own private life, I just see no need for it is all, fair enough, I could have been jumping the gun there and should that be the case I do apologise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:15 pm

To be honest, I've always been disappointed by Peterson's tobaccos. I have two Pete pipes, both of which I like very much, but the tobacco doesn't really do it for me.

In my aromatic days (smoking aromatics, that is, not long periods of poor personal hygiene) I though they burned too hot and the toppings seemed cloying and artificial. The latakia blends left a lot to be desired, considering the other options, and the Va/Burley stuff was either too bland or too strong for the sake of being too strong (as PB said).

That said, I've not had 3P, which seems to be well-liked by many. I plan to get a hold of a tin one of these days...despite my experience, I have high hopes for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:48 pm

idbowman wrote:

That said, I've not had 3P, which seems to be well-liked by many. I plan to get a hold of a tin one of these days...despite my experience, I have high hopes for it.

You wont be disappointed with the 3P's, marvellous smoke is that. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KevinM

Registration date : 2012-02-26

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:06 pm

I found in my hoard a bunch of tins from 2000 to about 2005, including several of Old Dub. They were still moist. Just heavenly on a cool summer eve in a Pete 999 that's been dedicated to English blends. I was worried they'd be all desiccated and long past their prime, but the tobak is high quality and couldn't be better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:23 pm

When Peterson first brought out their branded blends back in the 90's sometime, I tried three or four different ones but found them much to "flavored" for my 759 focused palate at the time. I've gone back and taken a look at them again but can find no just straight Va blend/mixtures offered an if my memory serves me correctly, they were very much Burley based blends as well and I don't do well with to much of this leaf in my baccy !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
aadelma

Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: thinking of trying Peterson blends again.   Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:23 pm

I have a 1 year tin of 3Ps kicking around and decided to crack it open have tried several bowls. I didn't find it difficult to slice and prep. I didn't find it very aromatic, very natural, and very high quality. I would say if you prefer the sweet va end of the burley/va spectrum, it's the way to go, and if you like the earthy burley end of the spectrum, Irish flake is the way to go. For me definitely Irish flake. Surprisingly, I found the nic hit about the same for both.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

thinking of trying Peterson blends again.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next