HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Broken Pipe - MD Governor Marvin Mandel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Broken Pipe - MD Governor Marvin Mandel   Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:46 am

Former Maryland Governor, Marvin Mandel passed away yesterday. He was rarely photographed without a pipe in his hand. He favored Longchamp pipes and has a roomful of pipe at his mansion in Annapolis MD. I've met him several times over the few last years thru my wife's job. He knew I smoked pipes and invited me several times to his mansion and said "I need to give you some of my pipes". I never took the opportunity, and now lost.

This is the Governor and I at the Inauguration Ball in January. He said "you are the pipe guy, you are supposed to come and visit me".

Please don't make this thread about politics.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Briar Spirit

Registration date : 2012-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Broken Pipe - MD Governor Marvin Mandel   Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:53 am

Marvin looked like he was quite the character, sorry for your loss Al and may he rest in peace.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Broken Pipe - MD Governor Marvin Mandel   Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:49 am

riff raff wrote:
 ...He was rarely photographed without a pipe in his hand.

Wow. There's a phrase from a bygone era. Reminds me of the pictures of Coke Stevenson, governor of Texas, in Robert Caro's Means of Ascent. The Years of Lyndon Johnson.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Broken Pipe - MD Governor Marvin Mandel   Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:49 am

A Longchamp guy can't be all bad!!!! You lost a good friend Sad FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Broken Pipe - MD Governor Marvin Mandel   Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:50 am

Sorry for your personal loss riff raff.

Politics schmalitics. With the exception of a few nut jobs on the the far left/right we all just want the same thing. To have a little coffee and maybe a piece of toast each morning, To go to work, to come home and play with our wife/kids/dogs/toys, to mow our grass on Thursday so we can catch the game Friday night, to maybe have a beer or a cold coca-cola and relax a little, to feel like we've done good in our life. Your friend did that. He lived a long life and tried to do right, what more can anyone ask for.

Rest in peace Governor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kaitlyn3837

Registration date : 2013-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Broken Pipe - MD Governor Marvin Mandel   Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:02 pm

Sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TwelveAMnTX

Registration date : 2015-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Broken Pipe - MD Governor Marvin Mandel   Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:02 pm

Sounds like he was a very nice gentleman, sorry to hear about his passing, my condolences to you/yours, his family & everyone who had the pleasure of knowing him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/user/28662
huffelpuff

Registration date : 2011-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Broken Pipe - MD Governor Marvin Mandel   Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:05 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss. It's never easy to lose a friend regardless of politics. My heartfelt condolences to all who knew him and his family.

Jim
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Broken Pipe - MD Governor Marvin Mandel   Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:40 pm

Al the loss of any friend is tragic regardless of politics. You have my sincerest sympathies. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
riff raff

Registration date : 2011-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Broken Pipe - MD Governor Marvin Mandel   Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:35 pm

The first time I met him, was at a fundraiser for my wife's boss. I think he was 85 at the time. His handler was trying to move him along, but he said "just a minute, I'm talking to this young fellow about pipes". He was a character.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Broken Pipe - MD Governor Marvin Mandel   Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:38 pm

riff raff wrote:
The first time I met him, was at a fundraiser for my wife's boss.  I think he was 85 at the time.  His handler was trying to move him along, but he said "just a minute, I'm talking to this young fellow about pipes".  He was a character.

Be happy for your interaction with him Al. Remember him with love and affection as a fellow piper. May his journey from here and your memory be blessed.

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Mozjo33

Registration date : 2011-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Broken Pipe - MD Governor Marvin Mandel   Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:14 am

Great story Al. Sorry for your loss and may he RIP.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Broken Pipe - MD Governor Marvin Mandel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: