Number 16 Cutty with a twist

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
RDPipes

RDPipes

Registration date : 2011-12-15

Number 16 Cutty with a twist Empty
PostSubject: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 3:28 pm

Here's my 16th pipe, a Cutty. Didn't have this in mind to make but, someone mentioned it to me so I figured I should at least try it. I don't think it came out too bad and the only major problem I had with it was it has a pit creek running up one side of the bowl and the stem aint what it started out as. I had intended to make a fish tail stem but somewhere I had a major brain fart and took the flair out of it midway done so to take the boring straightness out of it it I put a little twisted valley around it. The pipe measures 6-1/2" long x 2" high x 1-3/8" wide with a 3/4" chamber 1-1/2" deep. This one has a hand cut Ebonite stem.

Number 16 Cutty with a twist Pipe_113

Number 16 Cutty with a twist Pipe_114

Number 16 Cutty with a twist Pipe_115

Number 16 Cutty with a twist Pipe_116

Number 16 Cutty with a twist Pipe_117

Number 16 Cutty with a twist Pipe_118

Number 16 Cutty with a twist Pipe_119

Number 16 Cutty with a twist Pipe_120
Back to top Go down
http://rdpipes.briar.club/
Stick

Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 3:35 pm

Nicely done Sir. You really made the most of that grain and your drilling looks bang on. Great job Ron! I'm not overly familiar with a Cutty, but I do like what you've done.

cheers
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 3:43 pm

Stick wrote:
Nicely done Sir. You really made the most of that grain and your drilling looks bang on. Great job Ron! I'm not overly familiar with a Cutty, but I do like what you've done.

cheers

Thank you Stick Number 16 Cutty with a twist Liftha15 I did a more traditional one with the small foot but, kept the Plateaux top intact just to add a flair to it and then of course my change in stem style. Wink
Back to top Go down
alandadp

alandadp

Registration date : 2013-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 4:46 pm

Wow! just Wow! That is a stunner Ron!
I was just about to comment on No. 15 when you posted this, so sod No. 15 - ME LIKE THIS!
I'm not a great fan of plateau'd bowl rims but it just looks so right on this one.
The 'pit creek' is a bummer but I can live with that Smile
As for the stem, well I'm glad you screwed up your original idea 'cause this one is brilliant.
If this doesn't convince you that you can really make pipes then I don't know what will and you'll have re-defined stubborn Twisted Evil and I'm running out of bandages for my head (after banging it against a brick wall for so long) Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 5:40 pm

alandadp wrote:
I was just about to comment on No. 15 when you posted this, so sod No. 15 - ME LIKE THIS!
I'm not a great fan of plateau'd bowl rims but it just looks so right on this one.
As for the stem, well I'm glad you screwed up your original idea 'cause this one is brilliant.
If this doesn't convince you that you can really make pipes then I don't know what will and you'll have re-defined stubborn Twisted Evil and I'm running out of bandages for my head (after banging it against a brick wall for so long) Twisted Evil

Thank you Adam Number 16 Cutty with a twist Liftha16 but, a Screwed up stem makes not a pipe maker. Number 16 Cutty with a twist Cheesy13
Back to top Go down
Timbo

Timbo

Registration date : 2015-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 7:21 pm

A real beauty there Ron, you got the grain angle spot on with the bowl and the twist carved into the stem is wonderful. Should be a great little smoker.

Cheers

Tim
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 7:42 pm

Timbo wrote:
A real beauty there Ron, you got the grain angle spot on with the bowl and the twist carved into the stem is wonderful. Should be a great little smoker.

Cheers

Tim

Thank you Timbo, Number 16 Cutty with a twist Liftha17 Hope it makes someone a good smoker or I'll keep it and smoke it myself I think. I've got way too many big pipes and need a smaller one if for nothing else to be able to fit it between those big fellers. Wink
Back to top Go down
leacha

leacha

Registration date : 2014-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 8:06 pm

Cart,

I've been watching your posts on your pipes and I've been holding back. Damn! You have skills! What are you doing with these fine pieces of art?
Back to top Go down
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 8:32 pm

Another fine piece Ron. Not my style of choice, but looks like you've nailed this one. Interesting stem design too. Must be a difficult style to make, so you got that going on for you.

Cool 

Cheers,

RR

Number 16 Cutty with a twist Purple11x 3Number 16 Cutty with a twist Bombx10Number 16 Cutty with a twist Bombx10  Number 16 Cutty with a twist D6bddf10 Number 16 Cutty with a twist 44902965465_19121c84ed_s_d Number 16 Cutty with a twist Cowboy13Number 16 Cutty with a twist 4G80VIc

Site moderator and BoB Bomber's co-commander.
Back to top Go down
http://www.randereed.com
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 8:38 pm

leacha wrote:
Cart,

I've been watching your posts on your pipes and I've been holding back. Damn! You have skills! What are you doing with these fine pieces of art?

Thank you sir! Number 16 Cutty with a twist Liftha18
Well, quite a few of them are just sitting on racks here, some have been given away, and a few I have sold.
I'm not a very good salesman and I'm sorta afraid to sell too many because the lack in my skills to turn out a pipe that compares to others and I'm also afraid of asking too much. Beginner jitters? scratch
Anyway, I ordered a stamp for them so I reckon we'll have to get over the jitters and start selling them regularly or lose the cost of the stamp.
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 8:40 pm

Brewdude wrote:
Another fine piece Ron. Not my style of choice, but looks like you've nailed this one. Interesting stem design too. Must be a difficult style to make, so you got that going on for you.

Cool 

Cheers,

RR

Thank you BD Number 16 Cutty with a twist Liftha18 But, to tell ya the truth, the stem was easiest thing I did on this pipe. 5)
Back to top Go down
RobJ

RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 9:12 pm

Darn it Ron, you're making pro grade pipes sir, just like the big boys and maybe better than some of them. This one is just stunning to me, I've never owned a Cutty but man this one nails it for me. You have a real talent my friend, let it flow and go with it.
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 9:22 pm

RobJ wrote:
Darn it Ron, you're making pro grade pipes sir, just like the big boys and maybe better than some of them. This one is just stunning to me, I've never owned a Cutty but man this one nails it for me. You have a real talent my friend, let it flow and go with it.

Thank you Rob, Number 16 Cutty with a twist Liftha19 Your much too kind sir. I do admit that I'm a bit more advanced then some in my skill level and some of my pipes of late I really kinda like but, I'm no Rad Davis nor will I ever be. I do lack skills and knowledge the true pipe carvers have, maybe someday I'll get there but, not yet.
The way I see it is I make okay pipes for the man who can't afford a high grade and doesn't really care if it's perfect or not, as long as it smokes decent. Wink
Back to top Go down
RobJ

RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 9:40 pm

Well Ron you're learning and advancing pipe by pipe it seems to me. It's just a matter of time before you'll wake up one day and realize that you really are making great pieces that other's would be proud to own. As I see it there's a technical and an artistic side to pipe carving and you seem to be doing great on both counts. Again congratulations and carry on.
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 9:45 pm

RobJ wrote:
Well Ron you're learning and advancing pipe by pipe it seems to me. It's just a matter of time before you'll wake up one day and realize that you really are making great pieces that other's would be proud to own. As I see it there's a technical and an artistic side to pipe carving and you seem to be doing great on both counts. Again congratulations and carry on.

And Thank you again Rob I do appreciate it. Number 16 Cutty with a twist Liftha20
Back to top Go down
alandadp

alandadp

Registration date : 2013-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 12:13 pm

Cartaphilus wrote:
alandadp wrote:

Thank you Adam Number 16 Cutty with a twist Liftha16 but, a Screwed up stem makes not a pipe maker. Number 16 Cutty with a twist Cheesy13
But that's precisely my point Ron - any idiot can follow instructions/recipes/standard practise etc to produce something as long as everything goes according to those plans. It takes someone with real skill and craft to still produce something worthwhile when something goes pear-shaped. The idiot usually gives up or produces a turd, the skilled craftsman doesn't - YOU DIDN'T!
I rest my case Your Honour.
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 4:00 pm

alandadp wrote:
Cartaphilus wrote:
alandadp wrote:

But that's precisely my point Ron - any idiot can follow instructions/recipes/standard practise etc to produce something as long as everything goes according to those plans. It takes someone with real skill and craft to still produce something worthwhile when something goes pear-shaped. The idiot usually gives up or produces a turd, the skilled craftsman doesn't - YOU DIDN'T!
I rest my case Your Honour.

Yeah, yeah yeah Number 16 Cutty with a twist On_the11 I still have a lot to learn before becoming what you all think I am.
"So let it be written, so let it be done". farao
Besides, If I were what you all think I am, I have to raise my prices.............a lot! Number 16 Cutty with a twist Cheesy14
Back to top Go down
Jevverrett

Jevverrett

Registration date : 2014-12-13

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 8:44 pm

Nice cutty there. I don't own one yet, but it's on my list. Hard to find one I like in my price range. I like the plateaux, and the shank reminds me of a #03 dunhill billiard. If you don't like the stem, why not make another one? Still a awesome stummel.
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 9:11 pm

Jevverrett wrote:
Nice cutty there. I don't own one yet, but it's on my list. Hard to find one I like in my price range. I like the plateaux, and the shank reminds me of a #03 dunhill billiard. If you don't like the stem, why not make another one? Still a awesome stummel.

Thank you sir Number 16 Cutty with a twist Liftha21 I spent many hours hand cutting the stem, to throw that out the window is just not something that is easy to do. I like the stem now, didn't before I changed it. If you spend as many hours on making a pipe as I do your not likely to just toss it in the ash can when a problem arises, you fix it. I take it you don't like the stem, that's okay, the pipes new owner really likes it. Wink
Back to top Go down
taharris

taharris

Registration date : 2011-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 9:22 pm

Very nice!
Back to top Go down
http://www.wix.com/taharris/turningsbytodd
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptyFri Sep 04, 2015 9:24 pm

taharris wrote:
Very nice!

Thank you Todd! Number 16 Cutty with a twist Liftha21
Back to top Go down
AJ

AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 1:24 am

Ron it looks perfect to me. I hope you'll let someone buy it from you. No need to keep investing all that money and not recoup some of it. Selling a pipe that looks that good will only enhance your reputation as a pipe maker. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 6:29 am

ajn27511 wrote:
Ron it looks perfect to me. I hope you'll let someone buy it from you. No need to keep investing all that money and not recoup some of it. Selling a pipe that looks that good will only enhance your reputation as a pipe maker. Smile

AJ

Thank you AJ, Number 16 Cutty with a twist Liftha22 It sold the same day I posted it. Wink
Back to top Go down
allyby

allyby

Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 6:59 am

Once again a great pipe from the RDPipes stable, that is going to make someone very happy Ron. cheers
Back to top Go down
RDPipes

RDPipes

PostSubject: Re: Number 16 Cutty with a twist   Number 16 Cutty with a twist EmptySat Sep 05, 2015 7:32 am

allyby wrote:
Once again a great pipe from the RDPipes stable, that is going to make someone very happy Ron. cheers

Thank you Ally Number 16 Cutty with a twist Liftha22
Back to top Go down

Number 16 Cutty with a twist
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Pipes & Tobacco :: DIY-
Jump to: