HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Good Price On Royal Yacht

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Good Price On Royal Yacht   Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:10 am

P&C is selling Dunhill Royal Yacht for $7.99 per 1.76 oz. tin. That's $2.00 and some change cheaper than any of the other online etailers that I've seen. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Good Price On Royal Yacht   Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:15 am

I have 35 tins. I wonder if that's enough? confused I do wish they hadn't misspelled Yacht at their site. I see a lot of bad spelling there.

I notice Early Morning Pipe is also on sale. They must have extras to get rid of because not all Dunhill tins are on sale.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
AJ

PostSubject: Re: Good Price On Royal Yacht   Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:25 am

JimInks wrote:
I have 35 tins. I wonder if that's enough? confused  I do wish they hadn't misspelled Yacht at their site. I see a lot of bad spelling there.

I notice Early Morning Pipe is also on sale. They must have extras to get rid of because not all Dunhill tins are on sale.

Jim I'm not so sure you have enough. I guess it depends on how much of it you smoke and how long you expect to live. Just to be on the safe side you might should order another 20 tins while the price is low. If after a couple of years you find that you have too many you can send me the excess. I'm sure we could come to a fair agreement. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I can't comment on their spelling. If it weren't for spell check no one would be able to read anything I wrote. affraid

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Good Price On Royal Yacht   Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:29 am

Thanks for the heads up AJ!

cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Good Price On Royal Yacht   Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:12 pm

JimInks wrote:
I have 35 tins. I wonder if that's enough? confused  I do wish they hadn't misspelled Yacht at their site. I see a lot of bad spelling there.

P&C always seems to have an overflow of various STG products. I was paying for their tobacco of the month club for about 5 months, and almost all of the tins they sent were STG/Orlik.

I always get a chuckle reading through their catalog finding all the misspellings. Reminds me of skimming through an Asian restaurant menu.

Is Royal Yacht worth a try? I haven't cared much for most of the Dunhill blends I have tried.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Good Price On Royal Yacht   Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:07 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
JimInks wrote:

P&C always seems to have an overflow of various STG products. I was paying for their tobacco of the month club for about 5 months, and almost all of the tins they sent were STG/Orlik.

I always get a chuckle reading through their catalog finding all the misspellings. Reminds me of skimming through an Asian restaurant menu.

Is Royal Yacht worth a try? I haven't cared much for most of the Dunhill blends I have tried.

That's a hard question to answer. You have to like the topping to like the blend. It has some punch, too. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground on this tobacco. Since you like some aros, you might like it. I wouldn't quite call this an aro, but it's certainly flavored. Here's my review:

This mixture is very representative of "the tobacco that varies from smoker to smoker." I'm amazed at a few of the responses, especially those who don't get much taste out of it. Well, for me, I'd say it's not as strong taste and nicotine-wise as some others think, though it's not a light weight smoke. The topping is citrusy with raisin, fig, and very obvious plum notes, which leads me to suspect that the manufacturer wanted a mildly sweet perique taste without spending the money to actually use it in this blend. The Virginias are choice, with some natural flavors, and though they are sublimated by the topping, I notice some grass and earth.
It's not overly complex, but there's enough going on to keep you interested and coming back for more. Burns very well (for me, at least), and is a rewarding smoke. It gets a little less sweeter with some age, but is good fresh, too. Certainly worth the money for smokers who like this kind of tobacco blend.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Good Price On Royal Yacht   Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:28 pm

Free might be to pricey for RY. No

To each his own!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Good Price On Royal Yacht   Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:35 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
JimInks wrote:

"Is it worth a try?" What a question !! Twisted Evil It's one of the FINEST Va blend/mixtures made and though you might smell a sort of plume like topping when opening the tin, it is not present when smoked for me. And it has a nice dose of lady 'N' for my taste !! Get a few tins and enjoy !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Good Price On Royal Yacht   Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:31 pm

I opened a tin of RY a few days back. Hadn't smoked it in a few years. I'm liking it more and more every time. It's not suitable for the beginner because of the Vitamine N (unless you are trying to quit cigarettes and get on with pipes) and the taste is simply enjoyable. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RobJ

Registration date : 2014-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Good Price On Royal Yacht   Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:10 am

Well heck, I went to buy a few Dunhill tins at P&C and they don't ship any of these blends to Washington State. I swear I bought a few blends from them in the last year, but I guess I need to look elsewhere now. Normally I buy from SP.

On the subject of Dunhill blends in general, I'm with you D&B. I never got along with any of the Dunhill blends I tried until I bought a tin of the Aperitif early this year and have really come to enjoy this one, so I figured I'd give RY a try again after about 20 years. I just won't get it from P&C.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Good Price On Royal Yacht   Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:52 pm

Drums & Beer - of all the Dunhill blends - Royal Yacht & the Flake are the two most worthy. Absolutely a must try. I once did a cost/value comparison of pipe tobacco to Cigars (the answer is yes, it WAS stupid...but fun!) and used Royal Yacht. I got seventeen bowls in my Peterson Rosslare B5 Bulldog as I recall. Seventeen roughly one hour smokes from one tin. Bliss, every one. That was the last time I bought a box of Cigars. So Royal Yacht holds kind of a special place for me.

Buy some.

First BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
Council Member, Trading Post & General Site Moderator. 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Good Price On Royal Yacht   Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:07 am

Hmmm.

I guess I'll be taking a ride on the Royal Yacht.

I do agree, Flake is a worthy smoke. It's one that I have come to appreciate more and more with each smoke. The Dunhill Englishes, London Mixture aside, not so much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

PostSubject: Re: Good Price On Royal Yacht   Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:19 am

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Hmmm.

I guess I'll be taking a ride on the Royal Yacht.

I do agree, Flake is a worthy smoke. It's one that I have come to appreciate more and more with each smoke. The Dunhill Englishes, London Mixture aside, not so much.

Chris, have you tried Dunhill Durbar? It's the standard that I compare all other English blends to. If a blend isn't as good a Durbar then there's no need to buy it and if it's better then it's going to be a smoke to remember. I never smoked any of the original so I'm not disappointed with this re-issue. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Good Price On Royal Yacht   Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:27 am

ajn27511 wrote:

Chris, have you tried Dunhill Durbar? It's the standard that I compare all other English blends to. If a blend isn't as good a Durbar then there's no need to buy it and if it's better then it's going to be a smoke to remember. I never smoked any of the original so I'm not disappointed with this re-issue. Smile

AJ

AJ, I haven't had any of the latest reissues. EMP, 965 and Nightcap were all disappointing, so I figured I'd stop there. Although, I did end up with a random tin of London Mixture which I ended up liking quite a bit. Perhaps I need to keep a more open mind, and wallet..
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Good Price On Royal Yacht
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1