HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Christmas Cheer arrival in September

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:20 pm

OK, got the latest installment of McC's Christmas Cheer. Put one in the storm shelter right out of the gate. I have a corner down there underground for the special stuff. The other one, I opened, dried a few flakes, and have been sucking on like a newborn...

Good Grief, this is crazy yummy, at least to me. What have I been missing these years? I'm guessing this stuff is like a nice red wine, or a single malt....

Did I say yummmmmmm?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:44 pm

Yup. CC is quite fine, including and especially if one likes rich red 'ginnys at their finest. One of my special occasion bowls. And aged it's even more so.

Cheers,

RR

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.randereed.com Online
monbla256

monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:48 pm

NOW you understand why McC's are the MASTERS of ginny weed !! NO ONE can touch what they can do with it !! Welcome to the world of smoking nirvana cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rob_In_MO

Rob_In_MO

Registration date : 2011-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:53 pm

That is a fine choice, and the best VA I think i've ever tried.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:30 am

Christmas Cheer is good stuff. Now you need to get yourself some Blackwoods Flake. It's excellent right away, even better later on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AJ

AJ

Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:19 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Christmas Cheer is good stuff. Now you need to get yourself some Blackwoods Flake. It's excellent right away, even better later on.

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^ While you're ordering you should go ahead and order at least 6 100g tins of each. Some to smoke now, some to smoke later, and some to age for 5 years. You'll be so glad you did. Smile

AJ
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:39 pm

I've looked at it, sounds like a pressed version of 5100 and 5105...

Maybe next month I can grab a tin........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:53 pm

Have '11, '12. & '13 just sittin' on the shelf, purrin' like a kitten Very Happy cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:54 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:

I wish. Would have saved me a fat chunk of change. I am convinced that McClelland saves the finest VA's for their tins. Not that they're bulk stuff isn't good, plenty of it is quite good. But IMHO, nothing in their bulk straight VA line up comes close to Blackwoods Flake.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:10 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
Ozark Wizard wrote:

I wish. Would have saved me a fat chunk of change. I am convinced that McClelland saves the finest VA's for their tins. Not that they're bulk stuff isn't good, plenty of it is quite good. But IMHO, nothing in their bulk straight VA line up comes close to Blackwoods Flake.

I have heard that one more than one occasion. I know I have not tasted a bullk McC's that could touch the Xmas Cheer. And though their 2035 is good, it's not quite Dark Star..

Hmmmm.......

Going to load some Dark Star now.....

BRB
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:38 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:
And though their 2035 is good, it's not quite Dark Star..

Agreed. Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:56 pm

Ozark Wizard wrote:

BF I NOT like 5100 as it's got some stoved Va's in it and is pressed and fermented whereas 5100 is just a lovely flue cured Red Va in a ribbon form. BOTH are EXCELENT though different iterations  from the MASTERS of Vas!! If you really are a Va lover you need to have BF, DS, CC, 5100RC, and FM 2000 as a minimum stable of Va'son hand at ALL times  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Of course this is JMHO Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:09 pm

monbla256 wrote:
Ozark Wizard wrote:

BF I NOT like 5100 as it's got some stoved Va's in it and is pressed and fermented whereas 5100 is just a lovely flue cured Red Va in a ribbon form. BOTH are EXCELENT though different iterations  from the MASTERS of Vas!! If you really are a Va lover you need to have BF, DS, CC, 5100RC, and FM 2000 as a minimum stable of Va'son hand at ALL times  Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Of course this is JMHO Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I have some Dark Star, just got the CC 2015. Got samples of 5100 and 2000 a while ago, (2 grams each). Haven't got around to BF yet... The 5100 is pretty similar to my 4 year aged VA's I keep in my suit closet, though quite a bit sweeter than what I have. The 2000 seems topped. Still good though.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:36 pm

Yup, overall CC is my favorite pipe tobacco. cheers cheers cheers

I usually always have a tin open, as well as a tin of McCranies Red Flake. McClelland blends the Red Flake as well, so you know it is going to be a superior Red Virginia.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Old Nate
Not Really Old
Old Nate

Registration date : 2014-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:39 am

Now I have to order a tin (or two...) of CC! My next TAD order is already too large!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
idbowman

idbowman

Registration date : 2011-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:56 am

I buy two or three every year...one to smoke, one (at least) to age.

I should probably get around to ordering it soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:48 am

Boy oh boy I am sure enjoying this tobacco.......

Ordered another tin with more Blackwoods Flake in a rather out of control TAD.....

Pretty sweet Ginny weed!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Dutch

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:47 am

I have been smoking some Blackwoods Flake in the Pirate Clay that Dr. T sent me. The clay adds a little spice to an already superior blend, almost as if it had a little Perique added.

It's amazing how many variables there are to discover, when exploring this hobby.

I am fixing to try a bowl of Christmas Cheer in the clay. I have read that Red Ginny's are great in a clay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:42 am

Maybe I should get a clay pipe. Don't have one of those, what would you recommend? Like a tavern pipe?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:59 pm

Good Ginnyweed in a clay is absolutely out of this world good!!!! I have several of the "Williamsburg" type tavern clays. I find Burley smokes well in them also!!! cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

DrumsAndBeer

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:10 pm

http://www.dawnmist.org/pipesale.htm

She makes some fine tavern pipes.. Small bowls but they're perfect for strong dark flakes or high-quality VA's...

Look for a model with a glazed mouthpiece, otherwise you'll be needing some Chapstick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

monbla256

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:34 pm

goas all the previously mentioned Va's that McC produces, andI smokeALL of them, the BES they have now offered is their newest, Red Black which IMHO is the FINEST ALL ginny weed blend/mixture done by ANYONE these days !! cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Ozark Wizard

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:07 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:

She makes some fine tavern pipes.. Small bowls but they're perfect for strong dark flakes or high-quality VA's...

Look for a model with a glazed mouthpiece, otherwise you'll be needing some Chapstick.

Took a break from reading the legal page regarding 'Terms and Conditions'...

(whew)

They sound like me........................
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DireWolf

DireWolf

Registration date : 2015-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:59 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:

I have two churchwardens, and they are very well finished.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Dutch

PostSubject: Re: Christmas Cheer arrival in September   Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:06 am

Ozark Wizard wrote:
Maybe I should get a clay pipe. Don't have one of those, what would you recommend? Like a tavern pipe?

Ozark, this little Caribbean Pirate Pipe that Dr. T sent me is perfect for flakes. I am planning on getting a slightly larger bowled clay for Lat and ribbon cut blends. http://shop.pipeshoppe.com/product/caribbean-pirate-pipe/

I agree with Chris concerning chapped lips, but I have been having good results putting the pipe in the corner of my mouth instead of directly in the center. Seems the center is easier to chap for some reason.

The 7 inch length is adequate length to give you enough stem to hold on to, without feeling any heat transfer off the bowl.

It is a really neat smoking experience, and a step back in time. Very similar to a cob in a lot of aspects. I can see myself sampling new blends in a clay, similar to the way we do cobs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Christmas Cheer arrival in September
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next