HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

A different BoB

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stick

Registration date : 2014-02-19

PostSubject: A different BoB   Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:48 am

Today marks the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain and arguably the turning point against Hitler's campaign through Europe.
'Never... has so much been owed by so many to so few'
If like me you have a penchant for WWII aircraft I'd recommend checking the BBC's website later today as there will be the largest assembly of aircraft since the war.
Here's to 'the few'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
puros_bran
Nightrider

Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: A different BoB   Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:06 am

In British history that was yesterday. In American history that was so long ago as to not even be distinguishable from myth.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: A different BoB   Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:44 am

Legends worthy of Valhalla, both planes and pilots. Average age of latter: 20 years. The story of the man behind the development of the Spitfire is awesome also--think it was made into a film.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34250794
Back to top Go down
View user profile
allyby

Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: A different BoB   Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:35 am

Richard Burley wrote:
The story of the man behind the development of the Spitfire is awesome also--think it was made into a film.

Indeed it was starring Leslie Howard and David Niven, it was called, The First of the Few, telling the story of aircraft designer RJ Mitchell..

Full movie here.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Richard Burley

Registration date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: A different BoB   Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:53 am

allyby wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:
The story of the man behind the development of the Spitfire is awesome also--think it was made into a film.

Indeed it was starring Leslie Howard and David Niven, it was called, The First of the Few, telling the story of aircraft designer RJ Mitchell..

That's the one! Strange how titles of films (and books) get changed, often when they cross the Atlantic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: A different BoB   Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:11 am

allyby wrote:
Richard Burley wrote:

Full movie here.

Spitfire - the story of the plane that busted the blitz!

Interesting heading! There were actually more Hurricanes than Spits and they had a greater bearing on the outcome of the BoB. However, with its pretty lines and distinctive silhouette it was the Spit that captured the hearts of the nation. It is indeed an aircraft of almost mythical status. It still makes the hair prickle on the back of my neck each time I see one!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: A different BoB   Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:56 pm

You can't mention iconic fighters of that period without mention of the P-51 Mustang as well!! Spitfire and Mustang, what many folks see as THE fighter aircraft of WW II Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stick

PostSubject: Re: A different BoB   Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:59 pm

monbla256 wrote:
You can't mention iconic fighters of that period without mention of the P-51 Mustang as well!! Spitfire and Mustang, what many folks see as THE fighter aircraft of WW II Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Michael, the P-51Mustang, 'Cadillac' of the sky! And, tough as it is to admit for me coming from Blighty, my favourite of all the piston engined fighters!
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: A different BoB   Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:02 pm

CBS just did an expo on BoB. Or to be more precise on Billy Fiske the American Savior of Great Britian. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: A different BoB   Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:19 pm

Not that I recognize the power of the P-51, but those Spitfires are a thing of beauty. Flew one out in Troutdale, Oregon. Baby Huey's, you name it, the Spitfire was the Western Front's version of the Zero.........

A most impressive kite, the Spitfire....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
puros_bran
Nightrider

PostSubject: Re: A different BoB   Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:31 pm

HERE is a cool article about the Hurricane. I won't spill the beans but if you like History and think the Spitfire was all that and a bag of Oreos, read it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: A different BoB   Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:08 am

Here's the one I was always fascinated with.....

Back to top Go down
View user profile

A different BoB
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Brothers of Briar :: Community :: The Round Table-
Jump to: