HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Orlik Golden Sliced

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blackhorse

Registration date : 2010-10-23

PostSubject: Orlik Golden Sliced   Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:56 pm

It's been years since I last tried Orlik's Golden Sliced. Even though wildly popular over a broad range of smokers I never really caught on to its supposed goodness. Just finished a bowl in my Peterson Harp B5 (pic below) I'm thinking my prior "meh" personal rating might have been due to the pipes I used for it...though I forget what they were. The Pete B5, one of my favorite Pete shapes/sizes really has me turned around. Excellent rub out and pack, being at a perfect dryness out of a freshly opened TIN dated Oct. 2012 (so right at 3 years). It caught and burned well and I sipped my way through the bowl thoroughly enjoying the experience. Whatever the load I've rarely if ever been let down by a B5. Great combo.

Founding BoB Bombers Squadron Commander, Ret.
BoB Bombers Squadron Reserve CoCommander reactivated.á
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

Registration date : 2012-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Orlik Golden Sliced   Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:11 pm

With this blend, I think the pipe does make a difference. That's been my experience. And it gets better with some age, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fsu92john

Registration date : 2014-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Orlik Golden Sliced   Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:19 pm

And it's on sale tomorrow at 4 Noggins. 50g tins for $5.37.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ftrplt

Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Orlik Golden Sliced   Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:39 pm

OGS is one of my "must keep around" ginnyweeds. Two 100 gm. tins sitting on the shelf; one year of age on them. Will wait at least two more before popping one! Hope I'm still alive then Razz cheers FTRPLT
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Orlik Golden Sliced   Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:41 pm

It sure is a good tobacco!
Back to top Go down
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Orlik Golden Sliced   Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:43 pm

Yeah...$5.99 at P&C. Check shipping for real total cost. On sale all over.

I just got a tin of Orlik's Strong Dark Flake in. Smells wonderful..just very slight liquorice and more molasses than I remember Heinrich's being. I guess both are made by Orlick, but reviews swear they're different. Hey, maybe they even are!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
MisterE

Registration date : 2009-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Orlik Golden Sliced   Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:44 pm

I've always liked OGS myself. I know it gets a bad rap from some connoisseurs, but it never fails to deliver a decent smoke. I always have a few tins here. Besides, you can't beat the price for a flake tobacco these days.

-Yak
Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

Registration date : 2013-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Orlik Golden Sliced   Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:17 pm

I have none at this point but I've found that any Peterson with a B in its shape number will have some appeal to me. I'm a sucker for the 69 though and have it in two series plus an Aran apple.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DrumsAndBeer

Registration date : 2012-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Orlik Golden Sliced   Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:21 pm

OGS is great. It's one of the few blends that I prefer quite on the dry side. It's a bit more firm that way, but not at all sharp. I think for the price, it's one of the best in its class. However, if you're looking to smoke a peppery Vaper you might be dissapointed. I find the perique to be a subtle seasoning at best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: Orlik Golden Sliced   Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:41 pm

DrumsAndBeer wrote:
OGS is great. It's one of the few blends that I prefer quite on the dry side. It's a bit more firm that way, but not at all sharp. I think for the price, it's one of the best in its class. However, if you're looking to smoke a peppery Vaper you might be dissapointed. I find the perique to be a subtle seasoning at best.

I was one of the pipers that was surprised to hear here that it had perique. But I smoked a lot of it early on so I did enjoy it. I smoke a lot of different stuff now so I haven't been purchasing it but would be happy to try it again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: Orlik Golden Sliced   Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:48 pm

Blackhorse wrote:
Yeah...$5.99 at P&C. Check shipping for real total cost. On sale all over.

I just got a tin of Orlik's Strong Dark Flake in. Smells wonderful..just very slight liquorice and more molasses than I remember Heinrich's being. I guess both are made by Orlick, but reviews swear they're different. Hey, maybe they even are!

The toppings are the main difference. I think the OSDF may have a little more bright Va. than the Heinrichs. There used to be more of a difference in the early 2000s.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Orlik Golden Sliced   Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:48 pm

OGS is probably my most favorite early morning/first of the day bowl on weekends when I don't have to work. But here's an interesting thing I found-

I was formerly using the 50 gm tins, but ran out of those and had a 100 gm tin I opened next. Been smoking through that for a little while now, and although it does have a few yrs of age on it the character is noticeably different somehow.

Hard to describe exactly, but it doesn't seem to have the flavors defined cleanly. More of a wash of flavor. I can still get the basic character, but it's all muddled somehow.

Dunno if I got a bad tin or what. It's all the same 'baccy, just that there's double what's in a 50 gm tin.

I'm well familiar with the difference bulk can make compared to the same blend in a tin, but this difference shouldn't be enough to make a difference - or is it??

Think I remember Jiminks stating that he preferred the 50 gm to the 100 gm. Care to expand on this Jim? Maybe I'm not so wacky after all??

In any case I've noted the 4Nog sale. On 50 gm tins....

tongueá

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
JimInks

PostSubject: Re: Orlik Golden Sliced   Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:51 pm

Brewdude wrote:
OGS is probably my most favorite early morning/first of the day bowl on weekends when I don't have to work. But here's an interesting thing I found-

I was formerly using the 50 gm tins, but ran out of those and had a 100 gm tin I opened next. Been smoking through that for a little while now, and although it does have a few yrs of age on it the character is noticeably different somehow.

Hard to describe exactly, but it doesn't seem to have the flavors defined cleanly. More of a wash of flavor. I can still get the basic character, but it's all muddled somehow.

Dunno if I got a bad tin or what. It's all the same 'baccy, just that there's double what's in a 50 gm tin.

I'm well familiar with the difference bulk can make compared to the same blend in a tin, but this difference shouldn't be enough to make a difference - or is it??

Think I remember Jiminks stating that he preferred the 50 gm to the 100 gm. Care to expand on this Jim? Maybe I'm not so wacky after all??

tongueá

Cheers,

RR

That wasn't me who said there was a difference between the 50 and 100 gram tins. I never noticed any variance. I have noticed a change as it ages, of course.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
monbla256

Registration date : 2012-01-15

PostSubject: Re: Orlik Golden Sliced   Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:29 pm

OGS is probably the ONLY blend with Perique in it that I can smoke as it's so little as to be almost non existent. Twisted Evil I've ALWAYS got a 50 g tin opened and have several 100 g tins in my "cellar" now with around 4 years on them. I find it to be a basic, smooth, sweet flake Va that never bites and is good any time and in any pipe I have !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dutch

Registration date : 2010-11-06

PostSubject: Re: Orlik Golden Sliced   Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:24 pm

Brewdude wrote:

tongueá

Cheers,

RR

Rande, I have definitely noticed that there is a visual difference between the two, but I would have to try them simultaneously in cobs to give a fair comparison. I have smoked the two offerings so far apart, I couldn't say for certain, but there very well may be a difference. Go figure, I am sitting on five 100 gram tins, and two 1.8 gram.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Orlik Golden Sliced   Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:18 pm

I think in any blend you're going to find slight differences... Tuesday vs Thursday tinnings...left side of the field vs right side...pipe a vs pipe b...beef for dinner vs chicken...scotch sipped alongside vs IPA...pipe one vs pipe two...

It's an organic product so...there's gonna be differences.

And one random 50 gm TIN and one random 100 gm TIN cannot form a representative sample of either size. Pull ten 50's and the same number of 100 gm Tins from different vendors and open em side by side, and do a double blind comparison...then talk to me about how the two sizes differ. There needs to be some methodology here. Otherwise it's just Friday night musing. Just sayin'.

<< end rant >>

Razz

Back to top Go down
View user profile
juanmedusa

PostSubject: Re: Orlik Golden Sliced   Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:57 am

Blackhorse wrote:
I think in any blend you're going to find slight differences... Tuesday vs Thursday tinnings...left side of the field vs right side...pipe a vs pipe b...beef for dinner vs chicken...scotch sipped alongside vs IPA...pipe one vs pipe two...

It's an organic product so...there's gonna be differences. á

And one random 50 gm TIN and one random 100 gm TIN cannot form a representative sample of either size. áPull ten 50's and the same number of 100 gm Tins from different vendors and open em side by side, and do a double blind comparison...then talk to me about how the two sizes differ. There needs to be some methodology here. Otherwise it's just Friday night musing. Just sayin'.

<< end rant>>

Razz

Come on, somebody step up to the plate! lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Orlik Golden Sliced   Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:14 am

Yeah...even I deserve an opinion. Not a naysayers, but not a blend prophet either.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ozark Wizard

Registration date : 2014-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Orlik Golden Sliced   Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:22 pm

My tuppence.............

I agree.

One plant, many leaves, each with their own nuances.....

Generalizations can rarely be applied to anything in this resonance. It's a plant, it burns.

Rave on John Dunn................
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Orlik Golden Sliced   Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:28 pm

What always amazes me is that they can get a consistent blend outcome over the years using different crops years and all. Seems like it should come out more like vintages of wine, each year with its own unique character...and I know there IS some of that...but there are vastly more blended offerings that never really change. Must be in saucing and all. Interesting though.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brewdude

Registration date : 2011-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Orlik Golden Sliced   Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:47 pm

Blackhorse wrote:

It's an organic product so...there's gonna be differences. á

And one random 50 gm TIN and one random 100 gm TIN cannot form a representative sample of either size. áPull ten 50's and the same number of 100 gm Tins from different vendors and open em side by side, and do a double blind comparison...then talk to me about how the two sizes differ. There needs to be some methodology here. Otherwise it's just Friday night musing. Just sayin'.

<< end rant á>>

Razz

Yes, of course amigo. And I'll be done with the 100gm tin soon and will open the remaining 50gm tin.

Not that it's a comprehensive review mind. Just an "at a glance" observation.

<shrugs>

Cheers,

RR
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.fallsbrew.com
Blackhorse

PostSubject: Re: Orlik Golden Sliced   Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:16 pm

Yeah, I know. And surely my little rant isn't against anyone here. We're the reasonable exception. I go to the review site, however, and guys proclaim this and that...yes it is, no it's not...this one has more liquorice that one has more molasses... groan. Both made by the same company. Whatever. I really should buy some Heinrich's though. I think it's way cheaper...right?

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Orlik Golden Sliced
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1